Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

I am by no means saying that Martins is a brilliant footballer or that he didn't underperform badly in the final 2 months of the season. However, it baffles me that so few on this board aren't willing to acknowledge the fact that with his injury, he shouldn't really have been on the pitch under Shearer.

The fact is, he played through the pain, played poorly and gets accused of a lack of effort, it's laughable.

I didn't think he looked committed all season to be honest. Not compared to how he'd looked in the two preceeding seasons anyway.

You're certainly not the only one who thinks this.

The fact is, before his injury he'd managed 6 goals in 12 games. If that represents a lack of effort it also represents some f***ing ability, especially in our team

All season?

before his injury I said

You must of missed some of his 8-10 game streak of not scoring long before his injury this year.

Or regularly missing sitters at the close of this year, when it really mattered.

He got injured in December mate. Before that he was scoring goals and playing well, there was no streak of not scoring

Look at the season before he went 10 games without scoring.  He weren't playing with an injury either.

I was talking about last season though, not the season before.

You were asking us all to rate him on his appearances before he was injured..  so the season before that should apply surely?  He was fit and healthy and not producing then.

no I wasn't to be honest, all I was talking about were the 12 games he played last season before getting injured against Pompey

As for 2007-08, to say he wasn't producing is going a bit far to be honest. Unless you could give me an extended period during which he really wasn't pulling his weight

I am by no means saying that Martins is a brilliant footballer or that he didn't underperform badly in the final 2 months of the season. However, it baffles me that so few on this board aren't willing to acknowledge the fact that with his injury, he shouldn't really have been on the pitch under Shearer.

The fact is, he played through the pain, played poorly and gets accused of a lack of effort, it's laughable.

I didn't think he looked committed all season to be honest. Not compared to how he'd looked in the two preceeding seasons anyway.

The fact is, before his injury he'd managed 6 goals in 12 games. If that represents a lack of effort it also represents some f***ing ability, especially in our team

All season?

before his injury I said

You must of missed some of his 8-10 game streak of not scoring long before his injury this year.

Or regularly missing sitters at the close of this year, when it really mattered.

He got injured in December mate. Before that he was scoring goals and playing well, there was no streak of not scoring

Look at the season before he went 10 games without scoring.  He weren't playing with an injury either.

I was talking about last season though, not the season before.

You were asking us all to rate him on his appearances before he was injured..  so the season before that should apply surely?  He was fit and healthy and not producing then.

no I didn't to be honest, all I was talking about were the 12 games he played last season before getting injured against Pompey

As for 2007-08, to say he wasn't producing is going a bit far to be honest. Unless you could give me an extended period during which he really wasn't pulling his weight

15-12-2007 English Premier Fulham 0-1 Newcastle 0

23-12-2007 English Premier Newcastle 2-2 Derby 0

26-12-2007 English Premier Wigan 1-0 Newcastle 0

29-12-2007 English Premier Chelsea 2-1 Newcastle 0

02-01-2008 English Premier Newcastle 0-2 Man City 0

01-03-2008 English Premier Newcastle 0-1 Blackburn 0

08-03-2008 English Premier Liverpool 3-0 Newcastle 0

17-03-2008 English Premier Birmingham 1-1 Newcastle 0

22-03-2008 English Premier Newcastle 2-0 Fulham 0

Gap in dates were African Cup of Nations.  Some of the teams there are/were crap as well.  got 0 from him.

go back further..

1-10-2006 English Premier Man Utd 2-0 Newcastle 0

15-10-2006 English Premier Newcastle 1-2 Bolton 0

19-10-2006 UEFA Cup Newcastle 1-0 Fenerbahce 0

22-10-2006 English Premier Middlesbro 1-0 Newcastle 0

25-10-2006 English League Cup Newcastle 3-0 Portsmouth 0

18-11-2006 English Premier Arsenal 1-1 Newcastle 0

23-11-2006 UEFA Cup Newcastle 2-1 Celta Vigo 0

26-11-2006 English Premier Newcastle 1-0 Portsmouth 0

30-11-2006 UEFA Cup E. Frankfurt 0-0 Newcastle 0

Am I right that in thinking that a fair few of those games he played on the wing? And he didn't start all of those either?

Not that i'm going to mount a serious arguement for you here, he wasn't playing particularly well at that time, for club or country. Things however did change beyond that last fixture somewhat.

If I thought for a second that the fee we'd get for him would be used to replace him then I'd sell him in a heartbeat. Very limited and inconsistent but I'd rather have him on the park than an extra £8m in the bank.  :undecided:

If I thought for a second that the fee we'd get for him would be used to replace him then I'd sell him in a heartbeat. Very limited and inconsistent but I'd rather have him on the park than an extra £8m in the bank. :undecided:

:sadnod:

Unfortunately the manager (whoever it is) is highly unlikely to see much of the money from the first few sales. :(

If I thought for a second that the fee we'd get for him would be used to replace him then I'd sell him in a heartbeat. Very limited and inconsistent but I'd rather have him on the park than an extra £8m in the bank.  :undecided:

I would agree except I'm not sure he is motivated enough to play for Newcastle any more, and we don't need players who don't want to be here. other than that, he's still clearly one of our better players and for that reason I would prefer to see others go first.

All season?

before his injury I said

Yeah I know, but was that all he managed before his injury? Which injury are we talking, the one he picked up at pompey?

All season?

before his injury I said

Yeah I know, but was that all he managed before his injury? Which injury are we talking, the one he picked up at pompey?

aye

All season?

before his injury I said

aye

Seems quite early to write off a season. Wasn't doubt cast over his earlier 'injury' in the season? Can't remember the details exactly.

Guest BooBoo

The whole "Oba played loads of games on the wing" really is a load of shite. It was no more than a handful of games.

Furthermore, following his injury against Portsmouth, he buggered off to Milan for a fortnight then came back and went "oh by the way i need an operation".

The whole "Oba played loads of games on the wing" really is a load of s****. It was no more than a handful of games.

Furthermore, following his injury against Portsmouth, he buggered off to Milan for a fortnight then came back and went "oh by the way i need an operation".

nobody said any different

Guest northwestmag1892

At this precise moment Martins is sat in the bar at Gateshead Hilton talking to two guys. No papers in front of them and he keeps wandering off. Make of that what you will.

EDIT - Keeps wandering away from the others to take/make calls on his mobile.

He is making an offer to transfer $5,000,000,000,000.00 into your bank account as they need to get money out of the country. For which you will receive a 10% fee for using your account as a half way house.

At this precise moment Martins is sat in the bar at Gateshead Hilton talking to two guys. No papers in front of them and he keeps wandering off. Make of that what you will.

He is making an offer to transfer $5,000,000,000,000.00 into your bank account as they need to get money out of the country. For which you will receive a 10% fee for using your account as a half way house.

Hilarious. You know the .gif of someone spitting their drink out from laughter. That is me right now.

My memories of Oba will be fond. Despite his faults, he's easily been one of the best players here during the last three seasons. He's threatened, he's scored, and he's played a huge part in keeping us safe the first two seasons. We were the worst team in the league's history when he wasn't playing so his contribution is noted. We'll get a decent fee for him and he'll do well in Germany I believe. Like Owen, I think he'll do pretty well in a better environment. I think this about alot of our players. We definitely had talent in this team but after years of chaos, poor management, and awful boards it just didn't fit together anymore.

Oba is someone who definitely needs to be replaced btw, even in the Championship.

Would be awesome if we could keep him, I think he'd do well in the Championship (as he's a class above without a doubt).  But like a lot of the other genuinely good players at our club he will be getting as far from this mess as possible and I don't blame him (or anyone) for doing so.

Guest Stephen927

Hilarious. You know the .gif of someone spitting their drink out from laughter. That is me right now.

:lol: :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have him still playing for us in the championship if he wasn't going to be on a crippling wage and was going to get stuck in for the cause rather than moping round the pitch wondering when he's going to be allowed to leave, but as that's not going to happen I'd rather have someone upfront who's glad to have the opportunity to play for Newcastle even at Championship level.