Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

And how many of you watched Carroll and Shola get thoroughly outclassed by a less than strapping league one defence tonight? Just me eh. Well, to quote Arnie, get ready for da big surprise.

Did you watch Martins get outclassed by a league on side the game before that?  Lets not get into this sillyness mate, they're just friendlies.

Exactly. Such a Martins fanboy.

And how many of you watched Carroll and Shola get thoroughly outclassed by a less than strapping league one defence tonight? Just me eh. Well, to quote Arnie, get ready for da big surprise.

Did you watch Martins get outclassed by a league on side the game before that?  Lets not get into this sillyness mate, they're just friendlies.

Exactly. Such a Martins fanboy.

Martins is gone for an excellent price and I dont intend to mention him again on this forum, grow up man. We need to look to the future and be pragmatic, our strikeforce is gone, we're left with league one forwards

Carroll is absolutely gash

Indeed.

He has no ability on the ball whatsoever.  One good header against Stoke and people start becoming very forgetful.

This.

Great finish against West Ham too, and as I said bullied Hangeland in the air which very few players did all season. He's not great but he's got attributes that could benefit us if he's used properly.

We couldn't keep Martins on his package.

Huge package apparently.

Oh yes    :naughty:

Indeed.

He has no ability on the ball whatsoever.  One good header against Stoke and people start becoming very forgetful.

Meanwhile other people forget an even better header against West Ham :)

Guest Heneage

At the end of the day its 90k off the wage bill and 5m in the transfer chest. While I liked oba players like him needed stripping we are like an english benfica paying big money for old hype players like Duff Nolan Viduka Owen Smith players that were not wanted by their clubs and hadn't done much of note in the season previous to their arrival

Eh? How does that work? It's a £9m fee and most of us are fairly certain that the princely sum of £0 will go into the transfer chest.

For all of his stupidity, I would imagine Ashley realises that no one is buying and thus some new faces will be needed.

Indeed.

This.

Great finish against West Ham too, and as I said bullied Hangeland in the air which very few players did all season. He's not great but he's got attributes that could benefit us if he's used properly.

also he's only 20! I'm not saying he's going to be legendary but he's by no means the finished product.

How anyone could possibly believe that a) Martins and his agent would allow him to play Championship football and b) the club could afford to keep him on Championship economics is beyond me. But it seems some people do believe such crap.....

I'd actually be pretty gutted if this turned out not to be true or if the deal fell appart, fingers crossed.  Now lets follow it up by getting rid of Coloccini, Duff, Smith, Geremi and Butt for a combined 15m (hey if we can get 9m for Martins it might just be possible :))

Guest michaelfoster

We couldn't keep Martins on his package.

Huge package apparently.

You know what they say about black men

I'd actually be pretty gutted if this turned out not to be true or if the deal fell appart, fingers crossed.  Now lets follow it up by getting rid of Coloccini, Duff, Smith, Geremi and Butt for a combined 15m (hey if we can get 9 for Martins it might just be possible :))

No it won't. We might get some money for Coloccini but forget those others you mentioned. Players who fetch money are those with either some skill or pace who are the right side of 30. That's why despite their being slagged constantly, i always knew we'd get money for Dyer, Jenas, N'Zogbia and now Martins...and will also get good money for Bassong.

The ones who are worthless are the "loyal" ones i.e. absolute knackered, tired old shit who no one wants.

I'd actually be pretty gutted if this turned out not to be true or if the deal fell appart, fingers crossed.  Now lets follow it up by getting rid of Coloccini, Duff, Smith, Geremi and Butt for a combined 15m (hey if we can get 9 for Martins it might just be possible :))

No it won't. We might get some money for Coloccini but forget those others you mentioned. Players who fetch money are those with either some skill or pace who are the right side of 30. That's why despite their being slagged constantly, i always knew we'd get money for Dyer, Jenas, N'Zogbia and now Martins...and will also get good money for Bassong.

The ones who are worthless are the "loyal" ones i.e. absolute knackered, tired old shit who no one wants.

Well I agree mostly.  But a lot of people thought we couldn't get more then 4 or 5 million at most for Martins (I expected 7m).  We seem to be playing hard ball despite our position which has given me hope that its not impossible we could get say 6m for Coloccini, 3m for Smith and a million or so each for the rest of them (appart from Geremi)

This is great news, not necessarily because I'm glad to see Martins go, or even because of the amazing 9 million price (who knows if that will go back into transfers or something less good like the Milner move). I'm just glad because this means movement, aka something's up one way or the other. But all I want to know is, who's making these moves? I wouldn't think Hughton would have that kind of power unless they've given him the manager job now. I don't think Ashley's that hands on. Llambias? Shearer secretly pulling strings and having Hughton/Ashley/Llambias rubber stamping? This is the first thing I want to know right now.

As Matt has pointed out on Toontastic, unless Wolfsburg have agreed to pay this £9m up front in one go, it's not like Ashley will see much of it anyway.

We still owe 4-5m on Martins non??