Obafemi Martins joins Wolfsburg for £9m

Guest Geordiesned

Don't think he'll be missed too much tbh. He was generally a grumpy, stroppy bastard with a shite attitude. Couldn't finish, didn't have a scrappy doo about how to use his pace. He was clumsier than a giraffe on rollerskates with a plastic bag over his head.

I couldn't possibly disagree more. He was/is an incomplete player, but he was our only goal threat, imo. We got a decent fee, but none of that matters if it isn't reinvested into the club.

Some relegation tinted glasses here imo. I think Oba was a very decent player for us. Scored a good amount af goals and contributed a fair amount to the team. Think he'll do fine at Wolfsburg where he'll be in a position that suits instead of being thrown into the number 9 and asked to be the big man like he was here.

I personally think we have some very good players at this club, and the whole, "we were relegated so everyone is awful now" attitude is wrong. I think Jonas, Owen, Oba, Bassong, and Beye will all be signed by better clubs this summer and will perform next year. I call it Newcastle syndrome and it is not exclusive to this season. It's been around for the last decade or so.

Some relegation tinted glasses here imo. I think Oba was a very decent player for us. Scored a good amount af goals and contributed a fair amount to the team. Think he'll do fine at Wolfsburg where he'll be in a position that suits instead of being thrown into the number 9 and asked to be the big man like he was here.

I personally think we have some very good players at this club, and the whole, "we were relegated so everyone is awful now" attitude is wrong. I think Jonas, Owen, Oba, Bassong, and Beye will all be signed by better clubs this summer and will perform next year. I call it Newcastle syndrome and it is not exclusive to this season. It's been around for the last decade or so.

Some Nigerian tinted glasses right there :p

The debate about Martins' worth started when he was signed and will continue (probably) for as long as he plays football...

Guest float one in

I'm pretty glad to see him go if I'm honest, especially for a good rpice like that (although doubt it'll be reinvested). I'm grateful for the handful of screamers he scored for us, but he was a very frustrating player to watch.

However there is no doubt that he has alot of unpredictable, unorthodox talent, too much to be playing in the championship... I am aware that it might seem rich saying I'm glad he's gone, knowing full well that it might be a long time before we are able to sign players with that level of ability, but I just used to get frustrated watching him at the match. He was by no means the only one though.

Even if you're not a fan of Martins you'd have to say he was the best of a bad bunch. Viduka, Owen and Martins gone. Carroll, Ameobi, Xisco, Smith (no longer a striker) and Ranger remain. Nolan has been played up front in preference to some of our current strikers. Looking at our current strikers all I can say is that I hope Ranger turns out to be the new Ronaldo.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Wonder how long that love affair will last then, didn't he leave Inter for regular football?

There's no debate about Martins as far as I'm concerned. He was BY FUCKING FAR our most important player in the last three years.

Little trivia.. How many games have we won since August 2006 without Martins in the squad?

2 - Spurs and WBA, both last season

Wonder how long that love affair will last then, didn't he leave Inter for regular football?

That was the summer after the scandal, where Inter were able to acquire Ibrahimovic and other world class players which meant Martins had almost no chance of playing. No problem being third striker, he was in the same role for a while here as well.

First game on ESPN of the German League is Wolfsburg, wonder if Martins will start!

I think he won't... their couch said Oba is their 3rd striker

That's how Chris Waddle pronounces it.

"There is absolutely no direction, the players are demoralised..."

Aye. Oba totally said that like. He's a right eloquent fucker.

This is what he said at the press conference. (These are actually Jar-Jar Binks quotes)

About NUFC: "Weesa all sinking and no power. Whena yousa thinking we are in trouble?"

"Mesa here! Mesa gettin' berry, berry scared!"

"My forgotten, da Bosses will do terrible tings to me TERRRRRIBLE is me going back der!"

[putting on Wolfsburg shirt] Wait! Mesa eyeball stuck in the sleeve!

Nigeria striker Obafemi Martins says he joined German side VFL Wolfsburg to get his career back on track.

Martins signed a four-year deal with the club despite being linked with moves to teams like Arsenal, Aston Villa and Tottenham Hotspur.

The 24-year-old told BBC Sport he opted for a change of country and league to enable him to put his past behind him.

"This is a great chance for me to get my career back on track," he said.

"A lot of people said I should have stayed in England but my decision was purely on professional grounds and had nothing to do with financial sentiments.

"I had a wonderful time with the fans, players and management of Newcastle United but once I spoke to Wolfsburg, I saw a fresh start.

"Newcastle United will forever stay in my heart just like [his former club] Inter Milan but I have a whole lot of work to do now for Wolfsburg."

Martins was signed by former Magpies boss Glenn Roeder in 2006 after four seasons with Inter.

He scored 35 times for Newcastle, but could not prevent his side's relegation to the Championship at the end of last season.

"I gave my all to the club and the fans know that, unfortunately things went awry on and off the pitch," he said.

"I have fond memories of Newcastle but now am settling down nicely to a new language, culture, team-mates and football.

"The Bundesliga is one of the strongest leagues in the world and I'm very happy to be playing for the German champions.

Martins will join a forward line which also includes the prolific strikers Grafite and Edin Dzeko - who combined for a Bundesliga record 54 goals last season as Wolfsburg clinched their first ever title.

But he believes his arrival will only help the team: "I have faced challenges in the past but my coming here is to improve the club and compete professionally.

"We can do so much together for the benefit of the club and I feel elated having them as team-mates - the future looks very bright."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/africa/8195943.stm

Portsmouth couldn't have signed him and Arsenal wouldn't want him, but I have to say I agree like.  It does make it easier when players leave abroad, even when they're shit they inevitably come back to haunt us if they stay in England.  While Martins wasn't exactly great he was a good player who no doubt would have scored a screamer every time we played against him if he'd stayed in this country.