Given Having His Say On SSN

Crumpy Gunt

I can understand both arguments here.

The thing is though, the whole Given saga is a bit like you're with a lass for a good few years, everything's great. she's faithful and you both get on great. Then when you're company's has been taken over by a total twat and there's a good chance that you'll lose your job and then probably you're house, she turns around and tells you she's moving in with the flash git down the road who's just won the lottery.

Maybe not the greatest analogy, but you know what i mean  O0.

The thing is though, the whole Given saga is a bit like you're with a lass for a good few years, everything's great. she's faithful and you both get on great. Then when you're company's has been taken over by a total twat and there's a good chance that you'll lose your job and then probably you're house, she turns around and tells you she's moving in with the flash git down the road who's just won the lottery.

It's also relative to how you have treated her.

Boo f***ing hoo. If you'd stayed here you would still be getting games. Seems that money isn't everything after all, shame he had to shaft us in the process to find out!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-1351610/Manchester-Citys-Shay-Given-wants-loan-Championship.html

Do you really think he left for money? Had nothing to do with the option of being managed by JFK at a bombing Newcastle or an ambitious ManCity?

I don't like the way it went on, but to claim he left us for money is just foolish.

I hate this booing a former player culture that appears to be around at the moment as well.

The booing of Bassong against Spurs was nothing short of cringeworthy.

Yep, totally agree with this.

Bassong had a bid that was accepted, so he left. And he left to a club with a much brighter future than ours (then, and now), so the booing just seemed like bitterness from our fans, imo. Bitter that a good player left us for a club like Spurs who we had gotten so used to dominating, and bitter because we as a club looked like we were going nowhere.

Given doesn't deserve to be booed. He gave so many good years to the club and left when Ashley was destroying the club from the inside, so it's not his fault that we were s*** at the time. He never gave away a soft goal, he never looked like he didn't care and he was always one of the best players in our team so to boo him because of his actions over two weeks at the end of his stay with us is just insane, imo. Yeah, let's forget about the 10 years, the CL run, the near-miss in the UEFA cup, the super saves, the FA Cup finals etc., and let's just think about his last two weeks here. Seems petty as f***. When Given retires, he'll be remembered as one of the best gks in the premiership of his generation, and he'll always - and rightly, in my opinion - be associated with us.

He feigned an injury to get away. The c*** doesn't deserve to get booed, he deserves to not even be played against us.

Of all the players who have left NUFC, is he top of your hate list?

No.

Then I wouldn't like to be the player who is. I think you may need some perspective in your life.

:lol:

Still lightyears ahead of Steve Harper.

Xabi Alonso scoring from ten thousand yards out and Harper falling on his arse.

Although there was also a time when Shay Given let in goals from long range with worrying frequency. There was even a thread on here about it iirc.

Although there was also a time when Shay Given let in goals from long range with worrying frequency. There was even a thread on here about it iirc.

Given also dropped the ball without looking to see if anybody was behind him only to have Dion Dublin round him to put the ball in the net.

I hate this booing a former player culture that appears to be around at the moment as well.

The booing of Bassong against Spurs was nothing short of cringeworthy.

Deserved it the way he thought he was a superstar when in fact he had just been relegated twice in two seasons and jumped ship both times.

Given can fuck right off as well, injury-feigning twat.

What exactly did Bassong do that pissed you off so much? ???

Really gutted for the lad that he's not first choice, hope he gets a move soon to a decent club. An absolute legend for Newcastle, have absolutely zero complaints about the way he left and is a top top keeper. Would give him a standing ovation without question. Totally agree that this sudden culture for booing former players despite years of service, even if the way they leave the club is somewhat difficult, is pretty pathetic.

Guest Heneage

Bassong played it very well, nearing his return he did the 'I owe it all to Newcastle piece'.

I admit I'm being fairly cynical, but I see no need to boo him, we made a huge profit on him. Depending how you view it, he bought us Tiote and Ben Arfa's loan.

Really gutted for the lad that he's not first choice, hope he gets a move soon to a decent club. An absolute legend for Newcastle, have absolutely zero complaints about the way he left and is a top top keeper. Would give him a standing ovation without question. Totally agree that this sudden culture for booing former players despite years of service, even if the way they leave the club is somewhat difficult, is pretty pathetic.

I, on the other hand, find it hilarious.

He must hate himself for leaving. He was settled up in Newcastle, he would be getting games until the end of his career and he would have been a legend in everyones eyes for generations. He was the closet thing to Shearer for me, especially with him being Irish. I was gutted when he left but I still appreciate the 11 years he gave the club and wouldnt even dare boo him.

I wouldn't boo him, I'm far too happy laughing at him for ruining his reputation and career.

Its funny how some people have it in for Martins for faking an injury (even though a scan showed otherwise) yet are fine with Given refusing to play for us forcing us to sell him.

Guest Heneage

FWIW I wouldn't bother booing Given either. He was paid to do a job and he did it very well for over ten years, he wanted to leave ok the timing was poor from our perspective but he chose to do it.

He now sits on City's bench week in week out when he could have been playing for us, football's a business at this level first and foremost he made a business decision to increase his pay packet. He also made a move to benefit his career as they are/were much more likely to challenge for trophies, he took the gamble and really it's backfired.

I also don't think you can compare Bassong and Given the only similarity between the two is they were young prospects we brought on.

I, on the other hand, find it hilarious.

This. He had every chance of becoming a legend at the club and then fucked us over rather than helping us get past the finishing line of a tough and ultimately disaterous season.

Fuck him. Harper, Krul, Ole, and Foster are who deserve respect and support now, not Given. The idea of bringing him back, pushing them back down the pecking order as has be put forward on here, is quite frankly an abhorrent suggestion.

Guest guinness_fiend

Who cares, he abandoned us when we needed him the most.  Harper, on the other hand, could walk into most teams in England (and probably increase his salary) and has stuck with us through thick and thin.  It's about time that people give Harper the credit that he quite clearly deserves and stop banging on about Given as if he is the Prodigal Son.

Guest toonlass

I didn't boo when his name was announced at SJP. But it doesn't stop me feeling happy that he's rotting on the bench now.