Why do non-Geordies support Newcastle United?

Guest palnese
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

This was my father's favourite club around 1998-2000 (age 8-10) when I was just beginning to follow the club game rather than just the national team. I have stuck with them since this time. What I did not realise at the time was that my father have moved on to Newcastle from Wolves and then Liverpool. He supports Chelsea now :lol:. I just don't understand how someone who is so passionate about his teams can switch every decade or so.

I'm from York, but my entire family are from Newcastle (other than my dad who's from nearer Sunderland). Was taught to support Newcastle from when I was too young to realise what I was getting myself into.

I purely loved Alan Shearer for England when I was younger (mainly post euro 96, World Cup 98), this then led to me supporting NUFC. it's been a rocky road but I love it. Gained massive respect off mates and people in the local boozers when we got relegated. Family are mainly Evertonians.

I was actually very close to being a manure fan as my two older brothers supported them.Basically my mam guilt triped me in to It.As my fathers a  Newcastle fan my mam said you are your fathers last hope.

Funny enough I fully made up my mind when we got knocked out of the FA cup unfunny enough by them fuckers

Whilst I'm not a Geordie in terms of being "born and bred in Newcastle" (I was born in Northern Ireland but my family moved to the city when I was only a few months old), I was raised in Newcastle and there was naturally going to be one team I was going to end up supporting: Newcastle United.

Another thing is that NUFC was a way of integrating with the other kids at primary school - when I started I was a basically a timid Chinese boy who could hardly speak any English, difficult times like so I'm glad I had NUFC in my life back then, football parties were the best.

My Dad left Newcastle as a very young man in the late 1920's and headed south looking for work. Eventually ending up with a tool maker apprenticeship in Kent where he settled and we were brought up. He was never really quite as obsessive a fan as his three sons became, my eldest brother by ten years being a lad during the 1950's cup wins and it was he who took me to my first matches during the early sixties, all away games in London. My brothers and I had to wait until 68/69 season for our first home games, when we all went up to an august bank holiday double of Everton and Notts F, both draws.

For my sins I've passed it all on to my son, poor lad! Though at least he has had the Keegan and Robson eras growing up, that's not bad.

Now, father and son, both non-Geordies, with the same inescapable attachment, and the lineage continues....

Whilst I'm not a Geordie in terms of being "born and bred in Newcastle" (I was born in Northern Ireland but my family moved to the city when I was only a few months old), I was raised in Newcastle and there was naturally going to be one team I was going to end up supporting: Newcastle United.

Another thing is that NUFC was a way of integrating with the other kids at primary school - when I started I was a basically a timid Chinese boy who could hardly speak any English, difficult times like so I'm glad I had NUFC in my life back then, football parties were the best.

Surely this qualifies you as a Geordie? Just like Steven Taylor.

It kind of helps to be a rose among the thorns and follow a team like Newcastle in an area like mine littered with gloryhunters. When you meet football fans expecting you to answer Man U or Arsenal when asked what team you support, it feels great to be able to stick my neck out and say Newcastle. It gives them a notion that you seem to be more "in the know" as you have an unusual taste in clubs.

Look at me, look at me. I'm a hipster football fan.

Because we are sadomasochists and really dig self harm. Self deprecation is our mother tongue, and we enjoy black humour. We realized we will not be anything more than what we already are, so we found a team that gives us the same dose of reality after fleeting fights of fancy that our day to day lives provide us with. Newcastle united is a mirror for all our failures and castles built on sand.

Because of Alan Shearer and Peter Beardsley. I get stick for it all the time because I can never get to home games etc. If there are any other fans in nottingham who go to home games I'd love to get in on that! Been supporting since i was about six and wouldnt change for the world despite how rocky a road it is.

When I first downloaded the CM 97/98. It was one of the first games on my PC and I didn't know anything about the PL at the time as I was 12 years old and lived in Eastern Europe. anyways for some reason I chose Newcastle United to manage. Back then you could not stream the games like you can now and the TV didnt show any games either so everything I knew about NUFC was from that game. Same with transfers I think, next year when new CM came I out, I saw who have they bought etc.  This year / season I want to finally visit Newcastle, plan is to visit on 2nd of November atm :)

I have family in Morpeth who bought me the full kit with 'Shearer' on the back when I was six or seven. Was hooked from then on, although probably more infatuated with Shearer than the club at that stage. Eventually NUFC took over and wore me down, like erosion or legionnaires' disease.

It seems like a lot of fans starting to follow us because of Shearer. 

I have a relative in a a village in Norfolk and about 10 years ago, loads of the kids in his village supported Newcastle and I could only think it was down to Shearer.

It shows how having an iconic player at a club can help build the profile and supporter base.

Being from Nottingham - Andy Cole was actually in the same class as my cousin at school and remember being impressed that they were 'friends' - especially given this was around 1994-95 when he was scoring for fun. So I picked my club at that point... (I was 11 - had always been more into cricket at that point)

My mates at school were incredulous - especially as Forest finished 3rd that season with Collymore being the best thing since sliced bread etc. But have never looked back... despite the constant digs in the time since then!

Andy Cole's brother actually lived next door to a another friend of mine - so I got to meet him once when I was around.

It also helps that Alan Shearer was also my favourite non-Newcastle player at the time - so I was obviously over the moon when he joined...

I also helped to 'convert' a few of my friends / relatives who were just getting into footy at the time or just coming into the country - one guy in particular was the hugest Asprilla fan. Another was mesmerised by Dyer (a little later). Needless to say these guys never lasted. I did. Been a lone soldier ever since!

Brought up in Brighton in a family with literally no football interest but my neighbour was a Geordie and always had me round to watch games and sent me NUFC calenders every Christmas and the like, been hooked ever since! Geographically Newcastle are the furthest away club I could have chosen so I've only been to a handful of home games but been to quite a few away games in London when my neighbour could get me a ticket. Haven't been to a game since Fulham away 2007/2008 as my neighbour moved away and as I'm only 17 it's hard to get the money together to get to any games at SJP but I've been saving for a while, main issue is the cost of the bastard trains and accommodation tbh. Can't imagine ever supporting anyone but NUFC though  :love:

Was in primary school around the Keegan days 96/97, a geordie lad moved to our school and got every body supporting Newcastle, was hooked on Shearer, Ferdinand and Beardsley. When Leeds became strong around 2001? Everyone buggered off to support Leeds including the Geordie :lol: excluding me. I guess they are the laughing stock for now anyway.

Surely this qualifies you as a Geordie? Just like Steven Taylor.

Good observation that. Definitely consider myself a Geordie in any case.