Danny Guthrie

Jordan
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest firetotheworks

I think I could have played better than him today like. I hope it's not the confidence that's been knocked out of him. I'd obviously much rather have Tiote and Cabaye in the team, but that's not because Guthrie has been poor.

Guest VaVaVoom

When he's been our best player over a period of games I don't think he's wrong to think that he should be starting. Even ahead of Cabaye

A couple of good games doesn't mean he should be expecting to start ahead of Cabaye.

It should, considering how Pardew normally does his selection.

Remember how long it did take Santon to take the place off Ryan Taylor at LB? Or how long it has taken Pardew to drop Obertan?

The opposite happend with Guthrie who, despite playing very well in CM (Spurs game aside), was dropped immediately. Mistake by Pardew and from a man-managing point of view, it's  been really poor.

That and the fact we have shite wingers, so it gave him the perfect chance to play all 3, along with Cisse, Ba and Ben Afa as a front 3.

Is what should of happened.

Guthrie deserved the start more than Raylor and Ben Arfa really really REALLY NEEDS a run of games.

AP's selection and tactics fucked us today.

Today is probably the 1st time i've seriously considered his position. If players need to be consistent then so has AP. If players need to improve then so does AP.

Shocking.

When he's been our best player over a period of games I don't think he's wrong to think that he should be starting. Even ahead of Cabaye

A couple of good games doesn't mean he should be expecting to start ahead of Cabaye.

Remember how long it did take Santon to take the place off Ryan Taylor at LB? Or how long it has taken Pardew to drop Obertan?

The opposite happend with Guthrie who, despite playing very well in CM (Spurs game aside), was dropped immediately. Mistake by Pardew and from a man-managing point of view, it's  been really poor.

That and the fact we have s**** wingers, so it gave him the perfect chance to play all 3, along with Cisse, Ba and Ben Afa as a front 3.

Guthrie deserved the start more than Raylor and Ben Arfa really really REALLY NEEDS a run of games.

AP's selection and tactics f***ed us today.

Today is probably the 1st time i've seriously considered his position. If players need to be consistent then so has AP. If players need to improve then so does AP.

Shocking.

guthrie gives sod all defensivly and you need to have that if you are playing in a middle 3. we are missing that player to play tiote centrally, cabaye to the roght of him and another for the left of tiote, hopefully that other player is the missing link that would also allow ben arfa to play in the way he should.

Guest neesy111

Showed his true colours today.  Shocking player who has had at best 20 good games in 4 seasons.....  He's better than Gosling and Perch thought that is like saying who is worse Hitler or Chairman Mao.

Guest neesy111

That and the fact we have s**** wingers, so it gave him the perfect chance to play all 3, along with Cisse, Ba and Ben Afa as a front 3.

AP's selection and tactics f***ed us today.

Shocking.

guthrie gives sod all defensivly and you need to have that if you are playing in a middle 3. we are missing that player to play tiote centrally, cabaye to the roght of him and another for the left of tiote, hopefully that other player is the missing link that would also allow ben arfa to play in the way he should.

This.  50% of a player is what someone does off the ball.  Guthrie is one of the worst players I've ever seen at this.  Back to his usual shiteness then today then.

Showed his true colours today.  Shocking player who has had at best 20 good games in 4 seasons.....  He's better than Gosling and Perch thought that is like saying who is worse Hitler or Chairman Mao.

Whey! Been waiting for this post.

I don't think I've ever rated Guthrie, he's too inconsistent as he'll have one good game, 2 ok ones and then a game where he just won't turn up.

I've always thought he lacks heart, if he has the ball then he'll do something but if he loses it he shows no interest in winning it back which is a terrible trait for a CM.

Others say he's better than Gosling but I'd much rather give Gosling a chance instead of Guthrie

Fucking hell man :lol:

Awful game from a usually very composed footballer. Nobody was composed last night.

Was terrible when he came on. Couldn't believe what I was seeing tbh, he was a completely different player to the one we saw over the last two months or so - he kept giving the ball away and his passing was shite. Though, it may actually be down to a confidence issue as some have suggested, that is, dropped = unhappy mindset and that really affected his performance.

Felt somewhat sorry for Guthrie like, it was harsh to drop him but honestly, Cabaye and Tiote are a class above him.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/03/18/danny-guthrie-set-to-quit-newcastle-this-summer-79310-30561680/

Danny Guthrie set to quit Newcastle this summer

Mar 18 2012 by Mark Douglas, Sunday Sun

DANNY GUTHRIE is set to quit Newcastle United this summer after turning down a contract offer.

Newcastle have tabled a new deal for the former Bolton man, who will be free to leave on a Bosman at the end of the season, but the Sunday Sun can reveal his advisers are looking for better terms. United believe they have made him a competitive offer in line with his value to the club, but Guthrie – who is represented by powerful agent Struan Marshall – looks set to assess his options in the summer months.

Aston Villa and Wolves have both looked at him and because he will be available for nothing, Alex McLeish may be able to better the terms on offer at St James’ Park.

Guthrie has repeatedly insisted he would like to stay, but he is understood to be unhappy at being axed from the team in favour of first-choice midfield pairing Yohan Cabaye and Cheick Tiote.

United have already begun planning what they will do if Guthrie leaves, and ran the rule over Barnsley’s Jacob Butterfield in January.

The England under-21 man has rejected the offer of a new contract from the Tykes – although Toon would need to pay compensation for his services.

The Sunday Sun understands Newcastle have reservations because of a serious knee injury from the turn of the year.

The club gambled on Sylvain Marveaux and Dan Gosling in similar circumstances and neither has worked out so far.

Meanwhile, the club will look to re-negotiate Cabaye’s contract next season as they bid to keep the core of their side together.

Cabaye was signed on a lucrative five-year deal in June and has impressed in his first year in the Premier League, attracting the attention of scouts from Manchester United and Arsenal.

United are not looking at rewarding him just yet, but will look at the situation in 2013 – in line with their general policy of re-negotiating when a player is playing above themselves.

Managing director Derek Llambias explained the club’s thinking on contracts: “We try to give ourselves two years. Once they come up to two years we’ll sit down with their agents.”

No real surprise IMO.

Guest MrSundlofer

Can understand his decision. He has been good the games he has played this season and he needs to play regular football every week. He is third choice here.