SSN: David O'Leary 'no longer in contention' for NUFC job

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Say he comes in on a one-year deal, does well and gets us promoted. Then Ashley tries to sell again and is successful.

Would we want him to stay?

O'Leary to stay after that or Ashley to stay now?

O'Leary, assuming Ashley f***ed off. I mean, would we place much on him getting us promoted?

well in this hypothetical senario it would be hard to sack him if he got us up now wouldnt it

Does O'Leary have any experience in the lower divisions?

None, he's only managed Aston Villa and Leeds. Got pedalled at Leeds before they got relegated.

Although he'd be a slight upgrade on what we already have, I think it's a none starter. IF Ashley stays he has to make a decent fist of trying to get us promoted this season, otherwise the so-called derisory bids he's had for the club would look appealing. Problem is, he's burnt his bridges completely with the fans, and anything less than getting on bended knee to beg Shearer to come in would not curry him any favour at all.

The only way he could buy himself a bit more time with the fans is to give Shearer the managers job and back him, sack Lambiashole and do the Chairmans job himself, he will get more of an idea how things should be done if he does it that way.

Say he comes in on a one-year deal, does well and gets us promoted. Then Ashley tries to sell again and is successful.

O'Leary, assuming Ashley f***ed off. I mean, would we place much on him getting us promoted?

well in this hypothetical senario it would be hard to sack him if he got us up now wouldnt it

He wouldn't be sacked, read it again. :lol:

I meant if he came in now on a one-year deal and got us promoted - would the fans still want Shearer/someone else next year?

More evidence if it were needed that the man is just taking the piss.

I agree.

Does Mike Ashley seriously think NUFC will be top of the Championship and on its way back into the Premiership with O'Leary in charge? He can't sell the club for £100m (plus whatever add ons there are) now and yet he thinks with no investment and a manager who hasn't had a job for years it will be worth that in the future? Ashley is either the stupidest man ever to become a self made billionaire or he really is destroying NUFC on purpose.

He wouldn't be sacked, read it again. :lol:

I meant if he came in now on a one-year deal and got us promoted - would the fans still want Shearer/someone else next year?

sacked not kept on same end result, in my opinion in this senario he'd have earned another year, all ifs and buts though

Guest Mantis

This is starting to get silly, oh, it's been silly for ages.  Ok this is getting beyond ludicrous.  What next, Ashley to appear on local news saying he had underestimated the situation and is prepared to give the club to the fans for the sake of the club and as a favour Fergie has agree to manage the Toon part-time.

If Ashley is staying I think the major issue is not who he will appoint as manager but how much will he invest, will there be money for transfers? My guess (based on the last 2 seasons) is that there will be zero investment and no money for transfers, so we're fucked anyway, regardless who the manager is. We might still win promotion without incoming transfers though, since we have a pretty good squad by championship standards, any half-decent manager should be able to finish top 3 with these players in this league, so I guess this year won't be a big problem. Still it's clear we're going nowhere under Ashley on the long term, if he stays now, it will be the same shit next summer with the club up for sale, no money for players, etc, regardless of the club's league performance.

Regarding Ashley, they say that the definition of stupidity is that you do the same thing over and over again and expect a different result, and that's exactly what he's been doing. Not investing in players, selling the best talent we have, appointing '90s managers, not backing them, putting up the club for sale, being unable to sell, doing it all over again. If he stays, this whole shit will continue until he totally destroys the club or finds a buyer. I always thought that you can't get that rich purely by being lucky but seeing how big of a complete retarded fuck this man is, I may have to change my views on that.

I wouldn't really be too devastated if O'Leary were to come here to be honest, I would be devastated however at the prospect of Ashley remaining here for another year, which would set us even further back considering how clueless he is.

Football is a strange activity where someone who becomes renowned for their physical prowess when young with a ball at their feet is automatically elevated upon retirement into a role requiring an altogether different set of talents.

This is to become a manager, master tactician, supreme motivator and leader of men able to inspire others and outwit the oppositions plans.

So what we often get are ex pros who despite being inarticulate and unable to communicate ideas, if they have any, getting top jobs because of their fame as footballers.

Their shortcomings are often masked by being overconfident or belicose or being supported by sycophantic fan owners, chairmen etc. who promote them way above their deserved level.

Many players are intelligent enough to make the transition and make the best managers but many are not.

In my opinion O'leary is definitely one of those who is not and I would not want him anywhere near our club.

Does O'Leary have any experience in the lower divisions?

None, he's only managed Aston Villa and Leeds. Got pedalled at Leeds before they got relegated.

Although he'd be a slight upgrade on what we already have, I think it's a none starter. IF Ashley stays he has to make a decent fist of trying to get us promoted this season, otherwise the so-called derisory bids he's had for the club would look appealing. Problem is, he's burnt his bridges completely with the fans, and anything less than getting on bended knee to beg Shearer to come in would not curry him any favour at all.

that's slightly misleading, Leeds got relegated at least 18 months after O'Leary f***ed off iirc

EDIT: 2 years

From Caulkin in the Times;

"Moat is due to speak to Alan Shearer, the manager-in-waiting, today, but Newcastle remain on a precipice. The alternative — a dreaded one — is that Ashley remains for another year and appoints a new manager. Given that Shearer and Ashley have not held talks since the club were relegated, he would not be favourite for the role.

It also explains why certain unemployed managers have suddenly received publicity. Derek Llambias, Newcastle’s managing director, has denied reports that Joe Kinnear could return and did the same yesterday regarding David O’Leary’s candidacy. "

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article6789257.ece

:thup: ?

Well, if it happens, we can get used to post-match conferences of: "Well, to be honest, I'm absolutely delighted with the effort and commitment the players have show....I'm delighted. But nonetheless is disappointing to lose the game which we could easily have won. But as I said I'm delighted with the players."  :sadnod:

In all honesty, I'd feel better with him in charge than Houghton or Kinnear, but if this happens then when the hell will the club get sold? And if it does will the new owners want to keep O'Leary on as manager? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't.

I think we would get by with O'Leary, and with a couple of additions to the squad there could be a chance we could make a push for the play-offs, but I'd much prefer someone like Shearer or Curbishley, tbh.

Overall- I'm disappointed.

Yeah it'd be really disappointing to get a manager who was on the shortlist to take over from Alex Ferguson when he was going to retire in 2002 and who was 90 minutes away from a Champions League final, when we could get Joe Kinnear or someone who's only experience in management is getting relegated, when he only needed a point from the last two games.

:neutral:

gazza- You forgot to mention all the great work he did with Aston Villa...

True, he did nearly get them into the CL in SBR's last full season.

I think its one of football's great mysteries how he hasn't found another job since. If he applies for a Championship job then surely any club would fall over themselves to offer him it. They'd be mad not to. He's a proven Premiership quality manager.

I would be over the moon if that happened - Big Mike may have made one or two silly little errors but by bringing in O'Leary he could recitfy all his problems.

Yep. I think it'd be a masterstroke if he could pull it off. There's no reason why DOL wouldn't take us up and then we could push on properly and with a reduced wage bill and an improved financial position.

I would be over the moon if that happened - Big Mike may have made one or two silly little errors but by bringing in O'Leary he could recitfy all his problems.

Yep. I think it'd be a masterstroke if he could pull it off. There's no reason why DOL wouldn't take us up and then we could push on properly and with a reduced wage bill and an improved financial position.

You 2 are a right pair of WUMS

You're 100% on the wind up, there's no doubt about it.

Guest dover

Why would he bring O` leary in instead of alan shearer? Which one of the two will generate the most fan revenue in newcastle? What a load of bollocks. thats all i want to say really.....

Guest Stephen927

Difficult situation for him at Villa with Doug Ellis, completely different to what he had at Leeds where he spent £100m in 2 seasons or so. He did okay at Villa under a difficult chairman, his best spell for them came in that honeymoon period that most new managers seem to have (even Souness)...

It's difficult to say how he would fare here as he's never been manager at a club outside of the English top flight.

Well, if it happens, we can get used to post-match conferences of: "Well, to be honest, I'm absolutely delighted with the effort and commitment the players have show....I'm delighted. But nonetheless is disappointing to lose the game which we could easily have won. But as I said I'm delighted with the players."  :sadnod:

In all honesty, I'd feel better with him in charge than Houghton or Kinnear, but if this happens then when the hell will the club get sold? And if it does will the new owners want to keep O'Leary on as manager? I doubt it. I know I wouldn't.

I think we would get by with O'Leary, and with a couple of additions to the squad there could be a chance we could make a push for the play-offs, but I'd much prefer someone like Shearer or Curbishley, tbh.

Overall- I'm disappointed.

Yeah it'd be really disappointing to get a manager who was on the shortlist to take over from Alex Ferguson when he was going to retire in 2002 and who was 90 minutes away from a Champions League final, when we could get Joe Kinnear or someone who's only experience in management is getting relegated, when he only needed a point from the last two games.

:neutral:

gazza- You forgot to mention all the great work he did with Aston Villa...

True, he did nearly get them into the UEFA CUP in SBR's last full season.

I think its one of football's great mysteries how he hasn't found another job since. If he applies for a Championship job then surely any club would fall over themselves to offer him it. They'd be mad not to. He's a proven Premiership quality manager.

FYP

You're 100% on the wind up, there's no doubt about it.

:coolsmiley:

Why would he bring O` leary in instead of alan shearer? Which one of the two will generate the most fan revenue in newcastle? What a load of bollocks. thats all i want to say really.....

Why appoint a proven Premiership and European manager, when we could appoint a rookie. Yeah great logic.

I recognise O'Leary has a great track record and has the potential to be a top manager and i'm surprised he's still out of work. If that means i'm on a wind up then so be it. FFS.