Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

ELECTIONS TO THE BOARD OF THE TRUST 

APPLICATIONS ARE NOW OPEN

Dear Member,

As we approach the end of the first full season under new ownership, it’s fair to say that change is happening both on and off the field, and it is a great time to be Newcastle United supporter.

Off the field, following years of being ignored by the previous owner, establishing a new club infrastructure has resulted in improved engagement between the club and supporters.

We are pleased to say that the Trust has been delighted to play its part, and is now in regular contact with the club through Sarah Medcalf, Head of Supporter Services, who attended our AGM in January 2023. We were also pleased to learn of the appointment of Matt Willis as the club’s new dedicated Supporter Liaison Officer (SLO); it is a huge step forward that the club now has a dedicated SLO in place.

The Trust looks forward to working further with Matt and Sarah in the coming months as the Trust Board look forward to a new era of fan engagement, and the forthcoming Fan Advisory Board.

As members will know, the Trust rules require elections to the Trust board on a yearly basis. This gives an opportunity for members to step forward and take a greater role in shaping the Trust’s future by standing for election to the Trust Board. It also offers members who do not wish to stand for the Board, an opportunity to vote for those they feel better able to take on the role of Board member.

The Board have decided that, given the changes in both ownership and personnel within the clubs Infrastructure, rather than wait until the end of 2023 when the elections to Board have normally taken place, it would be an opportune time to refresh the Trust Board and to begin the election process at an early stage to ensure new Board members are in place prior to the start the 2023/4 season.

A number of Board members will be stepping down or have stepped down, and as a result this year there are 6 positions open to members to join the Board.

Each appointment will be for a period of 3 years. We would strongly encourage members to get involved by either standing for election or choosing their preferred candidates.

Alex Hurst  will be stepping down from the Trust Board, while Charlotte Robson will not be seeking re-election at the end of her term. Lee Forster and Adam Beckett have also stepped down. The Trust would like to place on record its thanks to Alex, Charlotte, Lee and Adam for their numerous years of service to the Trust.

With that in mind please see details of the election process below. The elections will be run under the control of an Election Management Group which will be Chaired by Andy Walsh the Football Supporter Association’s Head of National Game and Community Ownership. The other member of the Group will be former Trust board member, and current Trust Secretary, Colin Whittle.

Election Timetable

Period: 16th May 2023 to 28th May 2023

Members to register their interest in standing for a position on the NUST Board by downloading a nomination form here -  to be completed and returned together with a statement in support of their nomination (which should be electronic typed not hand written) and be between 400 and 1000 words) to the Independent Chair of the Election Management Group, Andy Walsh at [email protected]

You can find a Statement Template here

If by the close of the nomination period, there are nominations equal to or less than the number of vacancies then these will be presented to the NUST Board for an affirmation vote for those nominated to become Board members. Should there be more nominations than vacancies then there will be a contested election where the nominees are subject to the votes of the membership.

Period: 29th May 2023 to 11th June 2023

Candidate information (nomination form and statement in support) to be sent to members and be available on the NUST website for members to view and vote, should a contested election be required.

Members to vote for their preferred candidates (further details in respect of this process to follow).

Period: w/c 12th June 2023

NUST Board to receive the election results from the Election Management Group and announce the results of the election .

You can find our election policy here 

For further enquiries regarding the election process please feel free to contact the Independent Chair of the Elections Management Group Andy Walsh by email [email protected]

9 minutes ago, christ said:

Time for the N-O takeover :cheesy:

Come on you whinging bastards. Get your names down.

Exactly. 6 positions up for grabs. I’ll happily vote for anyone looking to join to make the changes they constantly say are required 👍🏻

4 hours ago, Magpie said:

Mate of mine is applying to join the board and I've agreed to nominate him. How the hell do I find my membership number?!?!?

Email them or ask @Greg and they should sort you fairly easily.

On 22/05/2023 at 11:35, Magpie said:

Mate of mine is applying to join the board and I've agreed to nominate him. How the hell do I find my membership number?!?!?

You don’t need it. Just put your email address and ensure it’s same one you used for your trust membership. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I’ve decided to put myself forward for the NUST board elections. I would appreciate any votes that would come my way - the election is going to be this week I think, expecting more info to be released soon. Happy to chat with anyone unsure on whether to send their vote my way or not.

Fully expecting a bit of stick on here (gonna win da leeg), but hopefully those who know me from NOFC days can vouch I’m not that bad :lol: 

Here’s my personal statement that will go with my application for anyone interested. 

I am now in my fourth decade of being a Newcastle United fan and, like most of us, I have seen all the highs and lows along the way. I held a season ticket for a large portion of my life and have taken in 145 away trips over the years (not that I’m counting…!). From defeat at Scunthorpe in the Championship to the upcoming Champions League tour, it’s been a hell of a ride.

I am applying to be on the board with only one agenda: I want Newcastle United to be the best it can be, both off and on the pitch. Not just for me, not just for my children and future generations, but for all of us who love and treasure the club. The club is the heartbeat of the community and that should never be forgotten.

I am not associated with any group, whether that be a fan group, a fanzine, a podcast or elsewhere. I simply want the club to thrive, and I believe a well-run Supporters Trust is integral to that. I believe a Supporters Trust should be representative of the whole supporter base, whether you’re match going or not, local or not, even whether you've ever visited the city or not. A fan is a fan, and the Trust needs to be inclusive for all with a regular visible presence both in the city and further afield.

There are several key issues that I’d like the Trust to be involved in moving forward, and while it’s heartening to know the Club and the Trust are now engaging on these matters after years of neglect under the previous ownership, I believe the Trust can play a valuable role in integrating the fanbase into these.  Areas such as ticketing, improving the matchday experience, food and beverage options in the ground, community engagement, developing the membership/Junior Magpies schemes and much more are the type of discussions around which I believe the Trust should engage with the club.

In addition to working with the club, I also believe that that Trust has an important role in holding the club to account. As things stand this is faded into the background a bit with the excellent decision making so far whilst the new owners have been custodians of the club. However, it’s important to remember that as quickly as things have improved, they can also worsen. We have seen dark days under previous ownership where decisions have been made that weren’t in the best interest of the club, the fans or the city. Whilst I have the utmost confidence in the current owners, we must ensure that a proper framework is in place to reduce the risk of poor decision making in the future.

In a professional capacity, I am a Chartered Accountant, meaning I can provide support, governance and assurance in ensuring that finances are open and transparent. I am Vice Chair of Governors for a School and I am also a Finance Trustee for a Charity, meaning I have substantial experience of being part of a Board that has to make key decisions.

If successful I would represent the fans with honesty, integrity, loyalty and clarity. I will be committed to the role and will do my utmost to make myself available to assist the Trust and the fanbase wherever possible.

Cheers everyone, hopefully it’ll do the job. I’ve also got to do a video pitch which will come out some point this week. Feel free to mock the broad Teesside accent :lol: 

7 hours ago, NSG said:

Cheers everyone, hopefully it’ll do the job. I’ve also got to do a video pitch which will come out some point this week. Feel free to mock the broad Teesside accent :lol: 

Let me know if you need a vote. Good luck 👍🏻

19 hours ago, NSG said:

So I’ve decided to put myself forward for the NUST board elections. I would appreciate any votes that would come my way - the election is going to be this week I think, expecting more info to be released soon. Happy to chat with anyone unsure on whether to send their vote my way or not.

Fully expecting a bit of stick on here (gonna win da leeg), but hopefully those who know me from NOFC days can vouch I’m not that bad :lol: 

Here’s my personal statement that will go with my application for anyone interested. 

I remember you from NOFC - a safe pair of hands ;)

I’d like to see a candidate who’s who’s pitch is to remove the need for the club to need a trust through expanding their means of communication.  

The points would be:

1. Setup an on line portal available to members and season ticket holder to raise issues following a similar to - https://petition.parliament.uk.  Other members would then vote on the issues and if they reached a threshold they would be discussed in a forum with the club.  The person who raised the issue would attend. 
2. Disband the trusts as it no longer has value saving fans money.  

23 hours ago, NSG said:

Got my vote

1 hour ago, KetsbaiaIsBald said:

I’d like to see a candidate who’s who’s pitch is to remove the need for the club to need a trust through expanding their means of communication.  

The points would be:

1. Setup an on line portal available to members and season ticket holder to raise issues following a similar to - https://petition.parliament.uk.  Other members would then vote on the issues and if they reached a threshold they would be discussed in a forum with the club.  The person who raised the issue would attend. 
2. Disband the trusts as it no longer has value saving fans money.  

A total free-for-all amongst the fanbase on what the most relevant issues are does not sound like a particularly productive idea.