Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)

Alby

Newcastle United Supporters Trust (NUST)   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Have you / do you intend to pledge to the 1892 Pledge scheme orchestrated by the NUST?

• Yes
    • No

I really lost a lot of respect for them in the aftermath of the Saudi’s pulling out of the takeover. Their public view of Staveley has Alex’s number and can contact him if she wishes when people were asking them to make contact to find out what was next seemed very wet to me. Equally now when the entire fan base is at their ends Bruce, his reluctance to quit as he wants the payoff and Ashley’s refusal to pay to sack him and her the trust seem to be again taking the non-confrontational route. 

I’ve read one of the trust members have stood down as he couldn’t shape it to represent the fans who elected him. At what point does it stop being representative of the fan base in favour of the personal opinions of a few involved?

Bit of a ramble so bear with me.....

I'm still a member.

I think its important for every club to have a supporters trust. The issues that a trust have dealt with such as disabled access, season ticket prices, health and safety , communication issues, all the 'boring' stuff - this is important. Its important that a fan organisation brings these matters to the attention of the club (regardless of whether any of it is acted upon). I don't think anyone would argue differently.

While I appreciate that the trust has said it is not a protest group, this is somewhat of a cop out. They don't have to issue a press release calling Ashley a cunt, or mention that Bruce has a funny shaped nose. They dont even have to call the PL corrupt or even organise a protest at St James.

But perhaps a more covert approach woud be better. They absolutely could do more.

Theres a huge disconnect at the moment between the supporters and the club, and between the members and the trust. This gap needs closing. It will no doubt be a fine balancing act but the trust should be able to express everyones disatisfaction with the current state of affairs without pissing off members, fans and the club.

The trust should be working hand in hand with its members and the club to make the club the best it can be for its fans. When it isnt, questions should be asked.

As fans we need the trust more than ever - and they need to step up.

Help me love my club again.

3 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I’m gonna take a guess that’s either you’re mates with or have a prominent role in the trust because otherwise, this twerking for them seems extremely weird.

Letters? Oh that’s great, that really makes the membership worth it. Literally every other supporters group around has supported protests at one time or the other? What have we got, a prominent member talking down to people on Twitter and effectively pushing out the one guy who was actually doing something. I’m sure Alex can meet Carra and G Nev though so it’s all good, not like we are literally in relegation form. Laughable.

I'm just an ordinary member. Not mates with anyone on the board. I just know what I signed up to. A supporters trust with a democratically elected board, who purpose is to reflect the wishes of its members. If the membership is unhappy with the board and leadership, they will be replaced by the democratic process. I'm not twerking for anyone, but if that thought excites you, bash on. If communicating that Bruce isn't popular isn't enough, then what do you want them to do exactly? And have you joined and voiced this opinion?

The trust should be raising money and offer it to Bruce to leave. 

That would make all the headlines we need as a fanbase and show our opinions on him. Could you imagine the headlines of nufc fans raise x amount of money to pay for the sacking of their manager? Doesn't matter how much is raised but the bigger the  better. It really would undermine the useless prick to a point of no return. 

That's action. That's getting shit done and making a point. Stop fucking around. 

I've said it for fucking years. When you've got a club that DO NOT want to offer engagment, the very idea of a Trust that does not protest or lead the representation of Fan's dissatisfaction, is about as much use as an inflatable dart board.

There is only one issue within the club that matters now and saving for thirty years to offer to buy 1% of the club, only to be likely rejected, is so misguided, so badly concieved it's untrue.

I've heard the 'ego's' thing for a long time and always avoided the discussion but, fuck me, that Hurst prick has absolutely shamed himself these last couple of days.

Finally, why the fuck are True Faith even tweeting about the NUST? Like they fucking own it?

The whole thing should be mothballed until there's a new owner. Or, better still, turned into a protest group which is the only street worth driving down for as long as Mike Ashley owns us.

Edited by Minhosa

2 hours ago, Jamie87 said:

NUST can't be an aggressive protest group. It's not within their remit. They are a members driven trust, with a democratically elected board, who have to abide by certain rules to continue being part of the FSA and to be seen as a legitimate entity  when talking to the FA, the Government, the PL etc. They are there to represent the views of their members in the best way they can. If people want an aggressive protest group, unbeholden to rules and decorum, then start a bloody protest group. No one every claimed NUST was that, ever. If you want a group that's going to blockade buses, invade the pitch, throw tennis balls, picket the PL office, bombard media outlets etc, then start or join a group that can be that. I honestly despair at the shit people get for giving up their free time.  They were elected. They are not paid. They are doing what they can out of love for the club. And they get pelters for it. And by the way, other voices on Social media do have a business interest in their "fan advocacy", they literally are making money out of it - but the same brigade calling NUST no good, worship the ground that these "true fans" walk on. Give your head a wobble if you fall into that category.

Is Alex not making money from the true faith podcast? 

Has he not gained a larger following from being apart of the trust and thus increased the amount of listeneres he has for his podcast?

2 hours ago, Jamie87 said:

NUST can't be an aggressive protest group. It's not within their remit. They are a members driven trust, with a democratically elected board, who have to abide by certain rules to continue being part of the FSA and to be seen as a legitimate entity  when talking to the FA, the Government, the PL etc. They are there to represent the views of their members in the best way they can. If people want an aggressive protest group, unbeholden to rules and decorum, then start a bloody protest group. No one every claimed NUST was that, ever. If you want a group that's going to blockade buses, invade the pitch, throw tennis balls, picket the PL office, bombard media outlets etc, then start or join a group that can be that. I honestly despair at the shit people get for giving up their free time.  They were elected. They are not paid. They are doing what they can out of love for the club. And they get pelters for it. And by the way, other voices on Social media do have a business interest in their "fan advocacy", they literally are making money out of it - but the same brigade calling NUST no good, worship the ground that these "true fans" walk on. Give your head a wobble if you fall into that category.

Very much agree with this - I'm not entirely certain that NUST is fit for purpose, but it seems odd to be complaining that they're not doing something that they're weren't set up to do.  Maybe they need to morph into a protest group, but that's not what they are.  Personally can't get my head round a load of non-members complaining about the actions of a member organisation - especially given that a lot of the same non-members have spent a long time disparaging NUST on twitter.

1 hour ago, ManDoon said:

Well the idea of a democracy is to represent the members, I agree, but as you’ve no doubt read they’ve already taken the stance that they won’t do that? Those tweets last night gave curtailed a lot of the sentiment of the members, I mean literally read the last pages? I certainly don’t want them to tell the club he isn’t popular, you don’t think they already know that? 

I want them not to shut down protest at the literal first mention of it? I want them not to dismiss a board members idea so willingly? I don’t care about drink prices at SJP, nobody does. It’s foolish beyond belief to think that any communication with Newcastle United is remotely worth it. They simply don’t care.

And no i didnt join precisely for the reasons that showed their head last night. I personally don’t think you can square being a “trust” (which usually infers looking after an asset) with giving money to the person that is destroying said asset. It’s the equivalent of the National Trust giving money to a logging company. 

If you want an organisation to do the things you are talking about, then start one, join one, or become an NUST member with a view to drastically changing its remit. People tried to change NUST into something else, and it failed because they didn't have the backing of a majority of members. Maybe that makes NUST more pedestrian than you want it to be, but it's what the membership, the people who have signed up and paid, want. 

If we're going down the mad analogy route, then your stance is like wanting the National Trust to stop climate change, and then describing them as not fit for purpose.

At the heart of this though, is a fanbase turning in on itself. Which I think is a symptom of fans feeling impotent when going up against Ashley, the club, the league, the FA, the government. I should say, that despite my defence of NUST, I would still support more radical protesting of all those things.

6 minutes ago, Jamie87 said:

If you want an organisation to do the things you are talking about, then start one, join one, or become an NUST member with a view to drastically changing its remit. People tried to change NUST into something else, and it failed because they didn't have the backing of a majority of members. Maybe that makes NUST more pedestrian than you want it to be, but it's what the membership, the people who have signed up and paid, want. 

If we're going down the mad analogy route, then your stance is like wanting the National Trust to stop climate change, and then describing them as not fit for purpose.

At the heart of this though, is a fanbase turning in on itself. Which I think is a symptom of fans feeling impotent when going up against Ashley, the club, the league, the FA, the government. I should say, that despite my defence of NUST, I would still support more radical protesting of all those things.

We've literally got a forum member on the board of NUST whose wishes are being ignored by the Trust :lol:

Guest HTT II

My own issue is how mute they have been during the club’s biggest crisis, I know they are not a protest group and that’s not what I signed up for, but to send out emails promoting fucking jigsaws while CAT is going on and then going on Twitter and telling some lass her views are invalid because she is not a member is a disgrace. It’s like the club basically, just so empty and fucking pointless at this stage. They have now lost one of their top guys in Heron too. 

Guest HTT II

Btw I’ve been a huge supporter of the Trust and the pledge scheme, and we as fans do need a Trust, but certain people need far removed from it, I’d far rather have the likes of Heron in there and whoever is managing comms… 

2 hours ago, neesy111 said:

Aye, no one is talking about being aggressive.  Just showing to the rest of the footballing world that we want Ashley out still would be a start.

Someone posted last night what the Arsenal equivalent did about what their members thought of Wenger. That’s pretty much all you can expect but they seemed reluctant to even do that until late yesterday evening.

Guest neesy111
2 minutes ago, HTT II said:

My own issue is how mute they have been during the club’s biggest crisis, I know they are not a protest group and that’s not what I signed up for, but to send out emails promoting fucking jigsaws while CAT is going on and then going on Twitter and telling some lass her views are invalid because she is not a member is a disgrace. It’s like the club basically, just so empty and fucking pointless at this stage. They have now lost one of their top guys in Heron too. 

This is it really.

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

I already have been late of stuff that made a difference. You think that’s what the members want? Have you read the last two pages? 

I really don’t see how my analogy is “mad”. It’s objectively true that Ashley is ripping this club to bits, has anything the trust has said or done ensured the long term future of this club? No. It’s just pointless, Ashley isn’t going to engage with them I’m sure he finds it hilarious that they think he would even entertain it. 

The National Trust giving money to a logging company is a superb analogy, so on point where the Trust is concerned or rather some of its members attending matches while promoting the idea that this is our club, not Ashley’s and please pledge to get him out etc. Why not those members donate their ST money to the pledge every year…

Guest neesy111
Just now, James said:

I feel there is a need to boycott those who aren’t going to organise a boycott

:lol: 

Boycott inception.

7 minutes ago, ManDoon said:

What would be the point of meeting with Bruce? It’s this sort of idea that I just can’t get my head around. He’s not going to magically become a good manager after that. He’s gonna placate the people at the meeting, and it won’t even register on his radar for the rest of the time here.

We literally have not won a game lol, but it’s cool, the trust doesn’t want to ‘pick the goalkeeper or the manager” (despite wanting 1% of the club) so let’s just go down instead.

Their own self importance.  They've had meetings with the Premier League and senior members of NUFC (I think) and they were limper than Pele's chode.