Steve Harper rejoins NUFC as Academy coach

Weznufc

He's right footed.

But he also has a very good left foot, would have been nice to see it in action as well.

To be fair none of them were looking to beat men down the outside :laugh:

Think Gillespie could've still managed it like!

Aye, he was still quite quick.

Was a canny night, shame no goals. I thought Cole had scored.

Growing up watching the sport over here in the US, it was always Newcastle 1 and AC Milan 2 for me. Really class to read everyone's take and thoughts - wish I could have seen and attended, nearly all of my favorites were out there.

The idea that Baresi, Costacurta, Maldini and our Newcastle legends were on 1 pitch for our backup loyal keeper in Stevie Harper is just what sums up this club for me. Words can't describe. Class.

Were any of our current lot watching from the directors box or anything? Couldnt see from my seat

Krul was, posted a picture on twitter. Think Mbabu might have been too.

Krul is a good club man.  He is the one player you can pretty much guarantee will turn up at these events.

What a great night, so many different emotions, feel very weird after that, emotional even after seeing so many of my heroes return to the pitch they graced so well, compared to the shite we're getting put through at the minute. I'll not repeat what everyones said other than Dabizas looked like he could still play today, he was outstanding. Seeing Nobby down that right side again man, I fucking miss that so much.

Guest neesy111

He's right footed.

But he also has a very good left foot, would have been nice to see it in action as well.

It's difficult using your weaker foot when you're not training with it every day.

Just got in as I ended up via the Bodega and Tilley's on the way home.

1) What an attendance.  What an atmosphere.

2) imagine if we had Fox, Beardsley and Cole with Lee and Nolan supporting.

3) why didn't Nikos Dabizas play like that against Dennis Bergkamp?

4) Lee Bowyer could still do a job in at least League 2.

5) Nobby oozes technical ability.

6) Tino is just god.

7) John Beresford deserves credit for lasting more than 3 minutes by which time he was already blowing.

8) it would've been great to put Dizzy up against Sergei again.  He still would've done him.

9) Barton's tackle on Di Canio was quality.

10) Di Canio will tell his players he did 90 minutes midweek after they're humped by Arsenal.

11) Poor Steve Watson thinks he can do in his head what his body can't.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening though.  Shame it could've been rigged in the penalty shootout.  Oddo blatantly missed on purpose to keep us in it but I can't help but think Taibi mis-read the script.

Just got in as I ended up via the Bodega and Tilley's on the way home.

1) What an attendance.  What an atmosphere.

2) imagine if we had Fox, Beardsley and Cole with Lee and Nolan supporting.

3) why didn't Nikos Dabizas play like that against Dennis Bergkamp?

4) Lee Bowyer could still do a job in at least League 2.

5) Nobby oozes technical ability.

6) Tino is just god.

7) John Beresford deserves credit for lasting more than 3 minutes by which time he was already blowing.

8) it would've been great to put Dizzy up against Sergei again.  He still would've done him.

9) Barton's tackle on Di Canio was quality.

10) Di Canio will tell his players he did 90 minutes midweek after they're humped by Arsenal.

11) Poor Steve Watson thinks he can do in his head what his body can't.

Thoroughly enjoyable evening though.  Shame it could've been rigged in the penalty shootout.  Oddo blatantly missed on purpose to keep us in it but I can't help but think Taibi mis-read the script.

He tried to let Harpers pen in by the looks of it but Harper just blasted the ball straight off him  :lol:

No way is Roberto Mussi 50 years old, he didn't look tired at any point in the second half, stormed up the right touchline at one point.

Ibrahim Ba is a fat piece of shit now, surprised him and Bernard weren't gravitationally drawn to each other.

Dabizas, Pistone, Di Canio, Maldini, Baresi, Costacurta, van Bommel in the first half, Rob Lee likewise, Taibi in the second half, probably quite a few more I've forgotten all played quite well.

It did rankle with me a little how much of a reception Barton got, when he played for us I thought it was more of a "up yours if you hate him, he's ours and we love him" thing, but singing "one Joey Barton" when you compare his time here (especially pre-relegation) with some of the others playing. Just a minor thing, didn't spoil the mood at all mind.

Wonderful to see Speed's sons getting a run out. As has been said, he likely would've been there tonight so it was lovely that they were there to represent him.

Two or three additions to the defence of my Best Players I've Seen Play 11 after tonight too, they're looking strong.

Great occasion, great players, great cause, great support, shonky PA.

just so wished that tino volley went in, it was fan-fucking-tastic

I really wished for more goals but fair play to their keeper late on (taibi aye?), as he pulled off a few amazing saves! di canio was the best player on the pitch too and a big mention to baresi, he was immense and must've been the oldest on the pitch!

thompson, sellars, tino, pistone, shearer and dabizas could still do it for us! :lol: also found peacock had a canny game, cole hitting the post was a gutter and pavel's saves at the end were a treat

Canny night for £6