Michael Owen (now retired)

Keefaz

One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?  

648 members have voted

1. 1. One a scale of 1-5, how excited are you for Michael Owen on TV every week?

• I envy the deaf.

themichaelowen michael owen @ 

@piersmorgan and I've also already said that I didn't get 2 medals

for smashing 2 past Arsenal in the last 10 mins to win the FA Cup.

he's still on about that? :dowie: :facepalm:

He knows his limitations.. that's why he said this, however i read it like - he would rather be in a team creating lots of chances as he's now ineffective in a struggling team. 

IIRC he has pretty much said this as well, back a few months.  This recent quote is more of the same except more vague and inflammatory.

If he meant that he would have said that, he didn't say that though.

I imagined most people found him the type of character you struggle to warm to, even when he was in a Newcastle shirt, but could anybody have utterly imagined how much of a detestable cretin he actually is when you read the stuff he writes on twitter?

Owen's problem is that he's a total coward and that's the real reason for all this rather than greed or lack of ambition.

He was garbage with us in 08-09 and now he likes to point at what a poor team it was, and plenty buy it because we're just little old Newcastle United - "Owen always puts those away"

If he goes somewhere else now where he might actually be trusted enough to get on the field for more than ten minutes, he runs the risk of being found out for what he is, the risk of the media saying "hang on, if he's this shit at Team X, maybe it was him that was utter fucking rubbish at Newcastle" and instead of going down as some sort of English great, a Shearer, a Scholes, he'll go down as someone who was good for a while and absolutely finished before he was out of his mid 20s.

I know one thing, he'd fucking shit himself if two of Rooney/Berbatov/Hernandez got injured, wouldn't take long for that hamstring to go again. Spineless shitbag.

Owen's problem is that he's a total coward and that's the real reason for all this rather than greed or lack of ambition.

He was garbage with us in 08-09 and now he likes to point at what a poor team it was, and plenty buy it because we're just little old Newcastle United - "Owen always puts those away"

If he goes somewhere else now where he might actually be trusted enough to get on the field for more than ten minutes, he runs the risk of being found out for what he is, the risk of the media saying "hang on, if he's this shit at Team X, maybe it was him that was utter fucking rubbish at Newcastle" and instead of going down as some sort of English great, a Shearer, a Scholes, he'll go down as someone who was good for a while and absolutely finished before he was out of his mid 20s.

I know one thing, he'd fucking shit himself if two of Rooney/Berbatov/Hernandez got injured, wouldn't take long for that hamstring to go again. Spineless shitbag.

POTD

If he goes somewhere else now where he might actually be trusted enough to get on the field for more than ten minutes, he runs the risk of being found out for what he is, the risk of the media saying "hang on, if he's this s*** at Team X, maybe it was him that was utter f***ing rubbish at Newcastle" and instead of going down as some sort of English great, a Shearer, a Scholes, he'll go down as someone who was good for a while and absolutely finished before he was out of his mid 20s.

I know one thing, he'd f***ing s*** himself if two of Rooney/Berbatov/Hernandez got injured, wouldn't take long for that hamstring to go again. Spineless shitbag.

Nice thought but totally not true, professional footballers don't get their full whack of pay if they fail to make the starting XI.

If he goes somewhere else now where he might actually be trusted enough to get on the field for more than ten minutes, he runs the risk of being found out for what he is, the risk of the media saying "hang on, if he's this s*** at Team X, maybe it was him that was utter f***ing rubbish at Newcastle" and instead of going down as some sort of English great, a Shearer, a Scholes, he'll go down as someone who was good for a while and absolutely finished before he was out of his mid 20s.

I know one thing, he'd f***ing s*** himself if two of Rooney/Berbatov/Hernandez got injured, wouldn't take long for that hamstring to go again. Spineless shitbag.

on the whole you have a point except the first sentence. if thats true cos he picked the best option for himself than most every footballer is also a coward.

also the last sentence is a bit iffy aswell. the bits inbetween are just about on the button mind.

Nice thought but totally not true, professional footballers don't get their full whack of pay if they fail to make the starting XI.

Think Wullie means he'd have to play regularly if those 3 got injured and he'd be found out. Nothing to d with collecting all of his wages.

Problem is, by the time Owen moves to another club (If indeed he doesn't just pack in after Man U) is that he'll be old enough for people to excuse his shitness on the fact that he'll be what, 32?

They'll conveniently forget that he's played less football than I have in the last 3 years so should be fresh as a bloody daisy.

Guest Flatline

Well the only hole in that arguement is him going from Real to Newcastle. Even back then we were a far inferior team. Perhaps he had confidence back then to think he could make a difference, fuck knows..

Guest bimpy474

Well the only hole in that arguement is him going from Real to Newcastle. Even back then we were a far inferior team. Perhaps he had confidence back then to think he could make a difference, f*** knows..

I remember at the time it came out that Owen said he just had to move to us because of the money we offered to pay him.

He moved to us for money, Shearer being may have had an influence but 99.9% was for money, for me.

he moved to us because we could offer him the first team football Real couldn't in the run up to the World Cup. I dare say the £133k a week didn't harm either like.  

Guest bimpy474

he moved to us because we could offer him the first team football Real couldn't in the run up to the World Cup. I dare say the £133k a week didn't harm either like. 

True but i think it crystal clear now that he's a footballer because of the money and not because he loves to kick a ball around like the rest of us do, his recent statement sums that up, if you love playing, you'll play, you would never sit on your arse watching hoping to grab 5 mins.

I played in my local Sunday league, i wasn't too bad and played for the team which at the time was considered the best in that league, found myself in and out of the team, even at that level standing there as a sub and getting 5 mins is so crap, i left for my friends team 5 divisions lower, enjoyed it so much more playing every week, although you enjoy the fact your regarded as one the best players in the team, thats not why i did it.

Not a great comparison i know but its not about money and about loving to play, and that is what some pro's forget when they collect their massive wage packets.

Guest bimpy474

I'm pretty sure most pros are not in it for the love of the game. But the clue is in the word 'pro'.

I have several friends as i'm involved in the local football where i live, and they have kids who play in the rymans leagues and just below, you get paid, not much, mainly expenses but the clubs get around that ;)

Everyone of those kids loves to play, its never been about money, pro's now as their called are brought up in the football academies as kids totally detached from grass level football, i played against Spencer Prior for my entire youth career, all the way up to 16, he turned pro at Southend United the next year, that would never happen now, as soon as clubs take the kids, thats it, no kicking the ball about with their friends, for me they suck the enjoyment out of the football for the kids.

My son is training at 8 with Southend United now through his school, i'm torn because if he gets picked up, thats it no playing Sunday mornings with his friends, i want him to enjoy it and not have that taken away from him.

the world cup was probably the most deciding factor if you ask me, the wages a nice bonus.

Maybe he thought he could preform for a year here then move on to one of the title challengers after a successful world cup, I seem to recall rumours of a release clause at the time

the world cup was probably the most deciding factor if you ask me, the wages a nice bonus.

Maybe he thought he could preform for a year here then move on to one of the title challengers after a successful world cup, I seem to recall rumours of a release clause at the time

We were just a means to an end for him. He was only ever interested in playing for England and Sven made it clear he would only be selected if he was playing/starting regularly. We were his only option at the time.

We were just a means to an end for him. He was only ever interested in playing for England and Sven made it clear he would only be selected if he was playing/starting regularly. We were his only option at the time.

And upwards on £100k a week cushioned the blow.