Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

It's always going to be hard to keep this type of player for an improving team. He's good in the sense that he's English and will always give 100%, but as a player he wouldn't be good enough for a team chasing Europe. It's similar to Danny Guthrie, ideally you'd like to keep them as squad players but there will always be the mid table clubs like Villa and QPR with limited resources looking for exactly their sort: cheap and can do a job. Everton will probably come sniffing as well as they get more and more hard up.

@dannysimpson12

Danny Simpson

Shocked at certain peoples reactions! #2quick2judge

Spot on Danny, it's only been 3 months since the same posters were predicting a relegation struggle #fickle

Good player, hope he signs, but he's replaceable, probably for less than what we will get for him.

Agree with this, other than I don't think he'd command a great deal so I'm not sure about improving on him for less than that.

Good player, hope he signs, but he's replaceable, probably for less than what we will get for him.

Agree with this, other than I don't think he'd command a great deal so I'm not sure about improving on him for less than that.

Couldn't be that hard.

Couldn't be that hard.

Clyne? Would like him very much, but if i had to choose i would rather see us sign a quality LB and play Santon on the right. Not sure we can find a cheap LB as good as Clyne is at RB though (know that Clyne has played LB as well)

Clyne would probably cost as much as we get for Simpson, or maybe even less. I have no problem with Santon at LB. Clyne and Mbiwa in would be great.

Unlikely he'll get a better offer from the club, and Pardew himself went public calling on him to sign, so reckon the writing's on the wall.

Have appreciated his defending for us this season though.

Have absolutely no problem whatsoever with him leaving. Not good enough on the ball, defensively he's passable against poor teams. I'm not going to slate him and call him an awful player like  many did at the start of the season but he's certainly not good enough to push us on. If we are pushing on.... it's difficult to tell right now

Fucking Twitter, man. No doubt Skirge and the rest of the monkeys will have been having a pop.

I've seen someone having a pop, he always seems to be having digs at Simpson though so it's not a surprise. To be honest I didn't even know he had turned down the contract when I first read twitter, just assumed it was another baseless dig.

Could be a case of the agent trying it on knowing we're short on defenders, trying to squeeze a few grand out of Ashley?

Let's see how this pans out Danny...:lol:

Wonder where he washes up?

Someone mentioned Villa earlier, reckon that's a good shout. Or maybe Fulham.

Could be a case of the agent trying it on knowing we're short on defenders, trying to squeeze a few grand out of Ashley?

Someone mentioned Villa earlier, reckon that's a good shout. Or maybe Fulham.

Yeah, it'll be a sideways move if he's lucky. He's not irreplaceable but we'll need another one in if he goes this window though. 

More than likely. It has been reported that Simpson isn't receiving a wage which reflects his status in the team (starter/first choice RB) so guess he's still persisting. I'd hope a compromise can be sorted out though.

He's completely average but atm there are other areas which are more important to strengthen and in the next 6-12 months he will probably be a valuable player for us but after that i think he will be moved on if we're going to improve and challenge for Europe.