Danny Simpson (Premier League Champion)

Guest toonlass

Yip.  Backs off too much in defense though.  If he learns how to make a decisive contribution earlier he'll be a top player. 

He does back off but he's just as likely to defend on the half way line, he's a young kid and will get better.

Just waiting for a tweet from Danny telling us all how the journey home is going.

Massive win from the boys tonight! 2 hard away games, 2 clean sheets n 4 points :) fans were top class again! Times r good 4 the toon :)

O0

Just waiting for a tweet from Danny telling us all how the journey home is going.

Massive win from the boys tonight! 2 hard away games, 2 clean sheets n 4 points :) fans were top class again! Times r good 4 the toon :)

Good lad

O0

I agree with the general feeling on here, was worried about and thought he was a weak link, but he's contributing well to the most solid defence we've had for absolutely ages. Can't remember us looking so comfortable away from home when winning as we have done this season

Guest Heneage

I think he's loves it here because he's settled. Looking at his career he was beginning to get a bit nomadic with loan deals and such, I also believe it's hard for a player to truly get involved with a club while on loan. The fact he'll have bought a house here may also have settled him.

I think he typifies the kind of player we will be looking at, youngsters with potential.

He's been rock solid the last three games. Very impressive. Is also taking more runs forward now. Kept Bentley quiet all night. As Eldiablo mentioned, he have had a tendency backing of too much, but tbf to Simpson, that double chance with Zigic and Phillips would not have occurred if it wasn't for Nolan missing the ball.

He looks a lot more confident going forward now. He's still clumsy on the ball, but at least he's making his presence felt.

I'd agree about him backing off. Last night, that led to quite a few crosses coming in from his wing, and Birmingham should have scored from at least one of them.

On the other side, Jose seems to get a lot closer, but he's probably helped by the fact that Jonas is better at helping him out. Barton tends to wander inside more, and Simpson seems to get more exposed.

The backing off is pissing me off some times. Against Arsenal he backed once so much he almost sat in Harpers knees. Other then that I think he has made good progress during the season and I feel much more comfotable with him as our right back now then I did half a year ago. Not spectacular, but doing a good solid job.

Still noticed he backed off terribly when Bentley was running at him when Zigic scuffed that shot wide that Phillips nearly diverted in. Needs to have more confidence in himself and his ability, there's no need to do it.

Yea I remember that, I literally shouted at my TV "WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!??!??!??". The way he backs of players is ridiculous at times. Ohterwise I´ve been impressed with him this season, has performed a lot better than I thought he would but I still think we need a new starting RB.

I think he's still got much to learn.  Despite his backing off, he will improve in this area, and the other elements to his game are excellent.  He will be a top, top PL RB in a year or two, so we need to give him games in order to get him fully rounded.

To replace him with another RB would be a diabolical decision.  We'd have to pay a fortune to get someone better than him, we'd be lucky to get someone as loyal and we wouldn't get anyone with as much potential for the future.  There is no need to break apart the back four we've developed, we just need another back up player for our full backs.

I think he's still got much to learn.  Despite his backing off, he will improve in this area, and the other elements to his game are excellent.  He will be a top, top PL RB in a year or two, so we need to give him games in order to get him fully rounded.

To replace him with another RB would be a diabolical decision.  We'd have to pay a fortune to get someone better than him, we'd be lucky to get someone as loyal and we wouldn't get anyone with as much potential for the future.  There is no need to break apart the back four we've developed, we just need another back up player for our full backs.

Agreed. His backing off is his main problem. What I really like about him is he acts like a pro, has god stamina and delivers some cracking crossers. He doesn't need to be a good dribbler if we manage to set him up in crossing positions, eg Barton use him more often when he overlaps, and Simpson himself must not be afraid of taking the opportunity if  the room opens up. Becks was this type of winger: limited dribbling-technique, but solid work ethic and fantastic crossing. Combined with Manure's type of play: few touches, diversion of play from side to side,  and fast passing in the longitudinal direction he was in good crossing positions all the time.