Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

In the special pundit's team of the week

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17580431

DEFENCE - MIKE WILLIAMSON, NEWCASTLE

Would you believe it? I said last week that we pundits are having to take the Magpies seriously and they are now just five points shy of a Champions League place. Newcastle's emergence as a top-six force combines nicely with the consistent performances of Mike Williamson. In the win over Liverpool, he literally played Andy Carroll off the park, with the striker being replaced on the hour mark, much to Carroll's disgust.

Did you know? Newcastle have won 60% of Premier League games with Williamson playing this season, compared to 38% without him.

So much wrong with this I don't...

The problem is the idiots using statistics and who're not capable of  putting  the numbers into context. Eg. if Tiote is missing that hugely affect our defensive strength because every opponent panics when he's nearby.  And that our attack now finally flows, with Cisse and HBA in exellent form,  also takes pressure of the defense. It's about isolating cause (Williamson) effect (60% win). Ideally we should play with the same team against the same opponent for x games, then remove Willamson and play again against the same opponent. And in both rounds both team must field the same XI, except Williamson. But as you probably understand, this is an impossible task . And still you have random factors that always influence football like referees,  beautiful goals (cisse agains Villa) that's impossible to repeat etc.

Getting closer to that first goal too. That bullet header that hit the post from Ben Arfa's cross.

I might be wrong but as the ball was out wide during that passage of play I'm sure I could hear someone/Williamson shouting 'On me head! On me head!'. :lol:

I'm sure someone will be able to confirm this later.

Yep... I picked up that too when re-watching at home... Not sure who it was though...

You've got to love football. He could easily have given away 3 goals in the first 20 minutes.

He played well thereafter, in fairness.

Too true. He might've scored one himself. It was Williamson's header that Simpson's saved off the line. (For all Liverpool's "dominance" in that first 15 minutes did they even have a shot on goal?)

And he's constantly tugging at shirts--  Fortunate he wasn't called for handling Carroll.  Perch was the MOTM for me. Would've got it too (officially) if not for his acting performance.

Guest gasusoca

Tell me a top 10 team that he would get in on a regular basis?

Cannot defend and puts free headers in attack onto the post or into the keepers arms?

Tell me a top 10 team that he would get in on a regular basis?

Cannot defend and puts free headers in attack onto the post or into the keepers arms?

Newcastle United. :)

Guest henrique

With Williamson picking up his 5th yellow and therefor is banned vs bolton. Who will play with perch assuming colo won’t make it?

:troll:

• 4 weeks later...