Mike Williamson (now managing MK Dons)

Ritchie

The only thing that really bothers me is when he trys to bring the ball out from the back, Colo-style. He attempted it a couple of times last night and just about got away with it. Just.

Bad as sturridge was Malouda was worse, totally anonymous apart from failing to score an easy one. Surprised Mata didn't come on for him.

those two starting was when i started to believe we'd get something. good players (well, malouda used to be) but not right mentally. as if there's any argument between whether Malouda or Ben Arfa should make the French squad.  :idiot2:

One of our best yesterday imo, another top performance against world class forwards.

Totally agree. If Willo is supposedly the weakness in our defence then things aren't too bad. He was excellent yesterday against simply world class opponents.

He's a good player, he's just horribly inconsistent and prone to the occasional mare of a game. He had a good spell when he came into the team and he's been good (Wigan off-day aside) pretty much since the Sunderland game too. Hope we keep him as a squad player. Whilst he shouldn't be first choice, if he plays 8-10 league games next season that's perfectly alright.

He's a brilliant stopper. Which is great. Just can't have to many of them in your back 4 without looking one dimensional. Bolster the full back position with someone with guile and intelligence and I'm more than happy to keep him in this stopper role. It works well amongst the right formula.

He's a brilliant stopper. Which is great. Just can't have to many of them in your back 4 without looking one dimensional. Bolster the full back position with someone with guile and intelligence and I'm more than happy to keep him in this stopper role. It works well amongst the right formula.

Set Colo to ball-playing, Willo to stopper, Santon and new full back to full back with support, and we've got it made.

Guest ThievingMagpie

Perfect cover for us and would start at most sides below us. We need to keep players like him if we are to progress as a club.

Perfect cover for us and would start at most sides below us. We need to keep players like him if we are to progress as a club.

Completely agree. Players who are content to get chances when they come along rather than kick off being benched do a lot for the morale of a team.

Willo is an unspectacular but solid enough CB. However, his weaknesses/limitations have been exposed this season and they have cost us at times so by that reckoning, he shouldn't be first choice for us next season. But having said that, he's more than capable of doing a decent job in the centre of defence so I would like him to stay as backup.

The pecking order would like look this: Colo, new First Choice CB, Saylor, Williamson. Wouldn't mind this at all.

Guest firetotheworks

He's the football version of Ronseal. He does what he says on the tin, but maybe I don't want Ronseal on toast.

The real thing wich really puts me off with him is the direction of clearances. What those world class defenders do is get the ball in the general direction of a team mate instead of inviting pressure back on with a just get the ball away clearance.

But williamson has defo gotten leaps lately with his passing game. And ball control in general. The backline just trusts eachother with passing it about now and it's a joy to watch.

• 4 months later...

What a fucking shit football player this guy is. He cant handle the ball at his feet, so what's the point in playing him? The foundations of keeping possession start from the back, and with players like Williamson, Simpson and Harper the thought of retaining the ball and playing a passing game is a world away.

Guest firetotheworks

What a f***ing s*** football player this guy is. He cant handle the ball at his feet, so what's the point in playing him? The foundations of keeping possession start from the back, and with players like Williamson, Simpson and Harper the thought of retaining the ball and playing a passing game is a world away.

The point in playing him is that you know what you're going to get. Oh aye and arguably our best player is out injured.

What a fucking shit football player this guy is. He cant handle the ball at his feet, so what's the point in playing him? The foundations of keeping possession start from the back, and with players like Williamson, Simpson and Harper the thought of retaining the ball and playing a passing game is a world away.

http://i.imgur.com/sOBv4.jpg

Despite the way he is billed a 'go to man' (instead of Perch basically) for taller and more physical opposition I really don't think he's that strong in that area. For me his biggest redeeming attribute is his anticipation and reading of certain situations. In terms of physically and technically he falls way short of being a top flight player.