Newcastle United Vs. Crystal Palace Wed. Jan 27th 2010 7:45pm KO

Fenham Mag

If they didn't have decent wingers I'd be tempted to put Smith there, can fly into plenty of tackles and not hide away in the middle. Smith was shit today, I'd even be tempted to play Butt over him if he continues to play like he can't be arsed.

What about a change of formation? 3 at the back too risky? Jonas and Guthrie as wing backs?

Harper

Colo    Kadar  Enrique

Guthrie                                    Jonas

Butt        Smith

Nolan

Ranger      Loven

:undecided:

If they didn't have decent wingers I'd be tempted to put Smith there, can fly into plenty of tackles and not hide away in the middle. Smith was s*** today, I'd even be tempted to play Butt over him if he continues to play like he can't be arsed.

What about a change of formation? 3 at the back too risky? Jonas and Guthrie as wing backs?

Harper

Colo    Kadar  Enrique

Butt        Smith

Nolan

Ranger      Loven

i started off thinking along those lines but couldn't contemplate putting smith,nolan and butt in there together.

If they didn't have decent wingers I'd be tempted to put Smith there, can fly into plenty of tackles and not hide away in the middle. Smith was s*** today, I'd even be tempted to play Butt over him if he continues to play like he can't be arsed.

Harper

Colo    Kadar  Enrique

Butt        Smith

Nolan

Ranger      Loven

i started off thinking along those lines but couldn't contemplate putting smith,nolan and butt in there together.

Yeah, i was searching wildly around for someone other than Butt or Smith. As Mick said, fucking Geremi probably would've worked well in that formation.

The right back candidates:

R Taylor: Suspended

Simpson: Injured

S Taylor: Injured

Coloccini: Needed at centre half

Kadar: Needed at centre half, left footed.

Donaldson: A striker turned midfielder, filled in for 15 minutes at RB at Ipwich when the game was all but over, likewise at the Hawthornes.

Tavernier: Actually is a right back, played against Peterborough in the Carling Cup. Inexperienced.

Tozer: A defender at least, overlooked for Donaldson today though it hardly matters. Has covered at left back for Swindon, don't know what foot he is. Has had some less than favourable reviews from reserve and youth watches and was shit in the Carling Cup. If he's right footed I think he'll start.

Jonas: Played right back for Argentina iirc. Needed in a more forward role however.

Butt: Roeder spoke about using him at the back in a UEFA cup game due to injuries. Didn't happen though. Is old and will get raped.

Guthrie: Barely defends when he plays right wing, right back will end him.

Harper

Colo    Kadar  Enrique

Butt        Smith

Nolan

Ranger      Loven

The right hand side would get raped, theyd score for fun and their wingers will have the best day of their lives with that formation as Guthrie NEVER tracks back. Two DM's as well? and you want to depend on Nolan to be the playmaker alone, we'll get humped playing that at home. Simple 4-4-2 for me.

Harper

Anyone      Collocini          Kadar        Enrique

Guthrie         Nolan             Smith        Jonas

Carroll        Lovenkrands

EDIT: f***, didnt know Simpson was injured. Anything other than 4 at the back were f***ed.

DOUBLE EDIT: fuck, didnt know Geremi wasnt here either.

For any other game I would quite like to see how Jonas looks at Right Back but if it is Victor Moses who plays left wing for them, and he is meant to be attracting attention from some of Europes biggest (Barcelona, Arsenal etc), then it really would call for a solid defender with little thoughts on attacking for this game.

I wonder if Hughton will experiment with 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 on Wednesday. I'd be very nervous about playing one of the kids at RB especially seen as none of them have ever played the position before at senior level.

Did Donaldson end up playing right back yesterday?  He did at the Ipswich game back in September.

Right you are. Unfortuantely, we'll probably play Geremi there.... :facepalm:

Still away in Afrikah...

Funnily enough he's played all his games for Cameroon in this tournament as a right wing-back.