This is the Best thread, I've ever been in, dududu dududu

Skirge

I'd love all these people criticising the signings to come up with an equivalent list to those that we have signed.

And please, leave Beckford and Moses off, as we tried and failed for both of them, for one or a number of reasons.

But, I'd genuinely be interested to see who people think we realitically could/should have signed in our current economic and league situation.

Maybe if the club had an effective scouting network you wouldn't be on here looking for suggestions.

Why leave Moses and Beckford off the list? We failed to attract them to the club - why is that? Money. We wouldn't compete with Wigan on transfer fee.

Yet we'll spunk money away on players who've never proved themselves capable of top level football.

It beggars belief the lack of ambition and forward planning at the club and also makes me question Mr Nice Guys ability to persuade genuine talent to come to the club.

when has Moses proved himself capable of top level football?  It seems you would have been delighted for us to spunk 2.5m on him

I'd have been happy for us to make an investment on someone who is widely tipped to make an impact on the game at the highest level - if he doesn't make the grade then he's a bad gamble and we'll incur a small loss.

Leon Best comes with no reputation and has a career history showing a handful of goals. We were competing with Boro to get him - I hardly think he'll set the premiership alight in his tenure with us, therefore a short term, short sighted signing on the cheap.

Wonderful.

widely tipped by who?  I have heard a lot of chat from his agent and plenty of reports from the tabloids about all the scouts coming to look at him but I have yet to hear a top manager praise him or see a top club make a firm offer.  Fair enough we were competing against Boro for Leon Best but who was our competition for Moses? West Brom, Nottingham Forrest and Wigan - hardly Premiership big guns are they.

Guest johnson293

I'd have been happy for us to make an investment on someone who is widely tipped to make an impact on the game at the highest level - if he doesn't make the grade then he's a bad gamble and we'll incur a small loss.

Leon Best comes with no reputation and has a career history showing a handful of goals. We were competing with Boro to get him - I hardly think he'll set the premiership alight in his tenure with us, therefore a short term, short sighted signing on the cheap.

Wonderful.

Widely tipped by who though?

If he was such a good prosepct, why no interest from anyone else than us, Forest, West Brom and Wigan?

Oh sorry, Real Madrid were scouting him as well, weren't they???  :crazy2:

I'm confused, can someone please explain to me why Beckford would have been a better signing than Best?

Coz beckford scored against Manyoo and Spuds in the cup, innit!  :cheesy:

Seems to be about right. Neither player has Premiership clubs banging the door down. But Best is younger and has got a decent record this season whilst playing his day to day football at a higher level than Beckford.

Can't believe the periods some people are having over this. He's probably signing for less than a million FFS.

That's probably the point tbh.

Yes and No. This signing just shows a lack of ambition, no forward planning for next season and is a good indication that there's no intention to change our style of play.

All of which piss me off.

Can't believe the periods some people are having over this. He's probably signing for less than a million FFS.

Surely it's risk free though? Or are Hughton an co supposed to sign someone expensive?

Beckford is 3 years older, playing in a lower division and would have probably cost twice as much. Some of you give your fucking heads a shake! :lol:

Nest season when Beckford joins Everton I bet he scores more goals than Best does.

Had we not been after Beckford & Moses fans may have been less pissed off with this signing, but its such a drop from who we were after.

Nail on the head. Typical NUFC signing these days.

Seems we're getting ourselves geared up for a relegations scrap next year.

No offence, but this is ridiculous point of view on a number of levels.

We aren't a Premiership club, we don't have much money, so we need to make signings of cheap players who have potential to do better than they have before.

Obviously when we're in the Championship we can't prepare a team for a top half challenge in the Premiership, for one thing we can't afford to take the risk with the wage bill.

Don't agree in the slightest. We will be promoted and that means why should be planning for it now.

How many players out of our current squad are good enough for the Premiership - 7 maybe?

Now is the time to be buying players good enough to play at that level who need time to gel with the current side - this is when we should be looking for the next Enrique (young, great potential and probably not after silly wages).

We don't have much money - who does? We've got the smallest wage bill we've had in years and with some good planning it could be even smaller - that must free up some capital.

We've got to plan for the premiership so all of this bollocks about being a championship club is short sighted - we've got one foot back into the Premiership and need to start to act like a big club again - that means investing in players good enough to improve the team immediately.

Didn't Enrique cost £6m. That seems a lot to spend when we don't have much money

Beckford is 3 years older, playing in a lower division and would have probably cost twice as much. Some of you give your fucking heads a shake! :lol:

Nest season when Beckford joins Everton I bet he scores more goals than Best does.

I'll bet that Best doesn't even get a game for us in the Premiership.

Surely it's risk free though? Or are Hughton an co supposed to sign someone expensive?

Are we signing him as the player to fill the striker gap we have?  If so, then that's a huge risk.  If not, why are we signing him?

This. Had two txts when i woke up off my mates who were buzzing by this signing. He can't be that bad.

Had we not been after Beckford & Moses fans may have been less pissed off with this signing, but its such a drop from who we were after.

We aren't a Premiership club, we don't have much money, so we need to make signings of cheap players who have potential to do better than they have before.

Obviously when we're in the Championship we can't prepare a team for a top half challenge in the Premiership, for one thing we can't afford to take the risk with the wage bill.

Don't agree in the slightest. We will be promoted and that means why should be planning for it now.

How many players out of our current squad are good enough for the Premiership - 7 maybe?

Now is the time to be buying players good enough to play at that level who need time to gel with the current side - this is when we should be looking for the next Enrique (young, great potential and probably not after silly wages).

We don't have much money - who does? We've got the smallest wage bill we've had in years and with some good planning it could be even smaller - that must free up some capital.

We've got to plan for the premiership so all of this bollocks about being a championship club is short sighted - we've got one foot back into the Premiership and need to start to act like a big club again - that means investing in players good enough to improve the team immediately.

Didn't Enrique cost £6m. That seems a lot to spend when we don't have much money

I thought he was £4.5m but you might be right - I've not looked it up.

Point being we should be scouring the various overseas leagues looking for people with the potential to play at the top level and also change our current playing style.

This. Had two txts when i woke up off my mates who were buzzing by this signing. He can't be that bad.

:lol:

That makes about as much sense as slagging him off without seeing him play.

Guest johnson293

Beckford is 3 years older, playing in a lower division and would have probably cost twice as much. Some of you give your f***ing heads a shake! :lol:

I'll bet that Best doesn't even get a game for us in the Premiership.

Maybe he wont - he may be moved on as soon as we (hopefully) get promoted just like David Kelly was - but if he scores the goals in this league that he's proved he can (unlike Beckford) to help us up, then he's done his job and everyone will (or should) be happy.

I thought he was £4.5m but you might be right - I've not looked it up.

Point being we should be scouring the various overseas leagues looking for people with the potential to play at the top level and also change our current playing style.

why should we be looking to change our current playing style when we are top of the league?  Fair enough we play ugly, long ball rubbish but if it is good enough to get us back in the premiership then I am happy with it.

Seems like it still aint sunk if with a few on here that we are a Championship club, sure we are a big fish in a little pond. Still gotta cut your cloth accordingly. This is the shrewdest transfer window ive seen us take part in for a while. Young, Hungry players who WANT to play for this club. Best is highly rated, and by all accounts its been a matter of him putting it all together over the past few years and he is doing that this season. If it dont work out i am pretty sure we could get out money back on him. So heads out of arse's please, its another body on board to push the strikers for a place, now we just need that creative mid and this is as good a transfer window we could have hoped for imo.

Beckford will go on to prove the better buy though, I'll wager. Hope I'm proven wrong though but I doubt it.