Roy Hodgson appointed new England manager

Ishmael

Guest Roger Kint

Reddknapp cant handle pressure, he'll be on twitch factor 5 if he was appointed England manager.

Wonder how long it would be before his tapping up of Lewis Holtby(sp?) started if he was appointed?

Considering he is a full German International, i doubt even Redknapp would stoop to such idiocy.

Wasnt sure if he had played for the senior team, you underestimate him btw

Woy to England, McLeish to Albion.

You heard it here first.

YOU WISH!

You'll probably get relegated, sack him, then appoint some shy dude from your backroom staff.

You then will storm the Championship bouncing back easily followed by 1-2 seasons establishing yourselves in the Premiership again and, in the procces, over-achieving by landing 4th-6th spot, signing quality players for peanuts.  :(

YOU WISH!

You're going down, baby!

For a man who was apparently the countries unanimous choice, i am yet to find anyone who actually wanted Redknapp.  :lol:

I wanted Redknapp to get the England job.

I'd just like him out of Spurs, leaving Jordan and Sherwood behind, and getting some compensation would have been icing on the cake.  What the players have achieved is in spite of Redknapp, not because of him.

Following two dodgy results in the group stages of the Euros & his head fotoshoped onto a root vegetable, the ensuing media witch hunt will further demoralise the already fragile confidence in the overpaid twats he charges.

The resulting resignation / dismissal is all to easy to see over the horizon.

Frankly, I feel sorry for the bloke. This wont be good for his health / sanity. What is he 64? ffs he should be pushing trolleys round tesco.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

For some reason I think I can see Hodgson breaking the trend of the same names and reputations being picked.

Following two dodgy results in the group stages of the Euros & his head fotoshoped onto a root vegetable, the ensuing media witch hunt will further demoralise the already fragile confidence in the overpaid twats he charges.

The resulting resignation / dismissal is all to easy to see over the horizon.

Frankly, I feel sorry for the bloke. This wont be good for his health / sanity. What is he 64? ffs he should be pushing trolleys round tesco.

:lol: Had wondered what Joe Kinnear might be up to these days.

Beeb say he'll be appointed by Wednesday:

Roy Hodgson and England: Talks to start with the FA

Roy Hodgson is set to start talks with the Football Association on Monday and is expected to be appointed England manager within 48 hours.

The FA says the West Brom manager, 64, is the only person it has approached about succeeding Fabio Capello.

He has already spoken with FA chairman David Bernstein and will meet with the four-man panel.

He said he would "be delighted" to manage England, in a BBC Sport interview before the FA's approach.

Hodgson has extensive international experience, having managed Switzerland, United Arab Emirates and Finland, and domestic teams in Sweden, Italy and England.

Bernstein said: "Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set out."

The four-man panel which will decide who takes over from Capello are Bernstein, FA general secretary Alex Horne, FA director of football development Sir Trevor Brooking and managing director of Club England Adrian Bevington.

Bernstein approached West Brom on Saturday and was given permission to speak to Hodgson, who is likely to be appointed on a long-term basis.

It is expected any contract will cover the three tournaments up to and including Euro 2016, at which point he will be two months short of his 69th birthday.

Hodgson's contract with West Brom ends on 30 June.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17888928

"Hang getting the best English manager, because one look at the league table says that's Redknapp. FA Cup winner in 2008, League Cup finalist in 2009, Champions League qualifier in 2010, Champions League quarter-finalist in 2011, top four again in 2012, and by popular consent architect of the most attractive team in the Premier League. And he's not for them.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2137123/Roy-Hodgson--Is-England-job-Mr-Average.html#ixzz1tTnGWEW8"

Makes me fucking angry, that. So disrespectful.

Poor guy is a turnip before a ball has been kicked.

That article came straight out of Page 1 of journalistic cliches - successful maverick is passed over in favour of establishment man.

Martin Samuel writes in a very catchy and fluent style, but the content doesn't always match up. I don't know how he has the nerve to say at the end 'The pity for Hodgson is that, as at Liverpool, he may be rejected in the minds of many before the job has even begun'.

If you think it's a pity, Martin, I don't think you're helping.

Guest Phil K

Poor guy is a turnip before a ball has been kicked.

Martin Samuel writes in a very catchy and fluent style, but the content doesn't always match up. I don't know how he has the nerve to say at the end 'The pity for Hodgson is that, as at Liverpool, he may be rejected in the minds of many before the job has even begun'.

If you think it's a pity, Martin, I don't think you're helping.

Absolutely.

"Their" man hasn't got the job, so they're preparing their attacks and their snidey headlines before he's even given the job.

The Liverpool supporters among them will desperately want their "judgement" against him justified. So from the off they'll be slicing into him "What did we tell you ?" mentality.

I'm just sneering at Redknapp at the moment though. He thought it was a done deal, because the southern papers TOLD him it was.

As some (all?) of the African teams discovered at the last World Cup appointing someone one month before a major championship is a suicidal way of doing business. He'll have no more than a few weeks and 2 or 3 matches to shape his team, nothing will change about the team as a result. England will inevitably fail (through no fault of Hodgson) and the manager will lose his job. The situation is extremely unfortunate.

As some (all?) of the African teams discovered at the last World Cup appointing someone one month before a major championship is a suicidal way of doing business. He'll have no more than a few weeks and 2 or 3 matches to shape his team, nothing will change about the team as a result. England will inevitably fail (through no fault of Hodgson) and the manager will lose his job. The situation is extremely unfortunate.

:thup: Even if he doesn't lose his job he's off to a nightmare start.  You'd hope fans and media would be understanding about the whole thing though. :lol:

People criticizing the media, skysports etc are fair enough, but skysports especially are ones who brush Hodgsons failure at Liverpool under the carpet. "His hands were tied" etc, much like they do about Allardyce's time here. Hodgson was totally uninspiring, couldnt get the team playing with any fluidly, constantly playing players out of position, getting involved with public spats with the fans & media very early on, and having a meltdown on the touchline that would only depress the players further! He wasnt the likable, innocent gent he's potrayed as.

Yes Redknapp is a twat, no hes not likeable either, but would have Hodgson done at Spurs what Redknapp has? "But Spurs should be up there they have class players"... so why wasnt everyone tipping them for top 4 the season they broke in? He did inherit a good squad, and the wheeling dealing twat got the best out of them, got them gelling and organised as a team. Roy Hodgson definetely did not do that with his Liverpool squad. Hodgson has the advantage of knowing the International set up better, but I think Redknapp would have been the better bet to get more out of these players.

The idea that Harry Redknapp is a better manager than Roy Hodgson is total bollocks IMO, the guy is a smart tactician and very, very experienced. Redknapp may have the edge in short term man management/motivation, but that doesn't mean he's clearly better for the job.

People criticizing the media, skysports etc are fair enough, but skysports especially are ones who brush Hodgsons failure at Liverpool under the carpet. "His hands were tied" etc, much like they do about Allardyce's time here. Hodgson was totally uninspiring, couldnt get the team playing with any fluidly, constantly playing players out of position, getting involved with public spats with the fans & media very early on, and having a meltdown on the touchline that would only depress the players further! He wasnt the likable, innocent gent he's potrayed as.

Yes Redknapp is a t***, no hes not likeable either, but would have Hodgson done at Spurs what Redknapp has? "But Spurs should be up there they have class players"... so why wasnt everyone tipping them for top 4 the season they broke in? He did inherit a good squad, and the wheeling dealing t*** got the best out of them, got them gelling and organised as a team. Roy Hodgson definetely did not do that with his Liverpool squad. Hodgson has the advantage of knowing the International set up better, but I think Redknapp would have been the better bet to get more out of these players.

the thing with the liverpool squad of woys and now is that it is nowhere near as good as it and the media wants to believe it is.

Guest neesy111

The idea that Harry Redknapp is a better manager than Roy Hodgson is total bollocks IMO, the guy is a smart tactician and very, very experienced. Redknapp may have the edge in short term man management/motivation, but that doesn't mean he's clearly better for the job.

Spot on.

Yes Redknapp is a t***, no hes not likeable either, but would have Hodgson done at Spurs what Redknapp has? "But Spurs should be up there they have class players"... so why wasnt everyone tipping them for top 4 the season they broke in? He did inherit a good squad, and the wheeling dealing t*** got the best out of them, got them gelling and organised as a team. Roy Hodgson definetely did not do that with his Liverpool squad. Hodgson has the advantage of knowing the International set up better, but I think Redknapp would have been the better bet to get more out of these players.

the thing with the liverpool squad of woys and now is that it is nowhere near as good as it and the media wants to believe it is.

No its not, but it was better than what they were showing thats for sure.

Gerrard can do one, I'd much rather see Scott Sinclair or Vicky Moses in an advanced midfield role.

Cant call up Vicky though

He chose Nigeria?

:scared:

He is on decent form, but he has to do quite a bit to dispel the trail of rubbishness that he has left in his wake for the past few seasons. He shouldn't be in the first team of either country at this point in time, imo, definitely not a superior one in England. I cannot believe people want to call him up, btw, everyone was calling him useless about a month ago. :lol:

:thup: Even if he doesn't lose his job he's off to a nightmare start.  You'd hope fans and media would be understanding about the whole thing though. :lol:

I will give you a project to find examples in the past where fans and media of a national team have been understanding about anything. You will fail miserably. Those who are most passionate about the international game do not deal in the long-term for some reason.

No its not, but it was better than what they were showing thats for sure.

i'm not sure it was. for the past few years they've been poor when gerrard isn't turning it on.

I think Hodgson's experience at Liverpool (and Inter to a lesser extent) might stand him in good stead in terms of dealing with huge names and big players with big reputations. Especially after some of the Liverpool lot failed to turn up for him, the scales will have fallen from his eyes about some of those characters. I can't help feeling that someone like Redknapp would be dazzled by working with the likes of Gerrard, Terry etc. He'd probably call up Owen as well.

I still think Hodgson will call up the established players - especially in central midfield as there's no real alternatives available there, but i think under Redknapp we'd have seen Parker, Gerrard and Lampard in the middle together, nailed on.

He's a better choice than Redknapp, who is more of a motivator with a laissez faire approach to tactics. hodgson has more experience of different footballing cultures, european competition, international tournaments, being a hands-off manager over a long campaign, is more tactically aware, has good record working with players who are relatively average or have limitations etc.

he's not great, but i think dampened expectations should help - no-one expects us to do anything this tournament, but i imagine the press will still have a go because his face doesn't fit. he does seem to prefer more experienced, solid players over untested youth mind so i wouldn't expect revolutionary changes - could see him calling up the likes of danny murphy and michael carrick rather than looking at younger alternatives.

I like Hodgson and I think that he will be someone managing the new national football centre when he isnt managing England which is something Redknapp would never do.

He may even just do one tournament and then take on a more Houllier role.