NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Guest LJA0210

Is it worth mentioning that Jo came off the bench tonight for Man City while Adebayor stayed in his seat???

We're signing Adebayor tomorrow? :frantic:

lol just thought id mention it

Don't understand the Santa Cruz link tbh, not sure he's of the right mould to work with Carroll, has terrible injury record, will be on huge wages, not the right age, it's just all wrong to me.

If we'd already conslidated our position in the Premier League, i'd be iffy about signing Man City rejects. We made similar buys before - in the likes of Babayaro, Smith and Geremi - and it went down like the biggest wet fart imagineable. However, the likes of Caicedo fit into the rest of the squad; they've all got something to prove. And it's not like we're building a team for Europe here, it's about survival. Normally i'd scoff at such a signing but right now i think it would be a decent move. It's not as if the squad is particularly full, either.

Plus it'd lead the path for Ranger to go out on loan, which is absolutely imperative this year.

Regarding Santa Cruz, i think he's a quality footballer but his injury record is what puts me off, rather than his goalscoring record. I think he'd bring the team goals even if he wasn't exactly prolific. However, if we're limiting ourself to Ben Arfa + A.N other, i'd rather get someone likely to be available for 36 games.

He's definitely a quality player like, I just don't understand it tbh. Surely we must see that we're crying out for pace upfront.

He'd improve us, but a player of lesser quality with more suitable attributes would improve us more.

He'd also probably be our best striker. It wouldn't be ideal but it would beyond a shadow of a doubt be a massive improvement on Shola and Lovenkrands

...If we ever got him on the pitch, that is.

He'd also probably be our best striker. It wouldn't be ideal but it would beyond a shadow of a doubt be a massive improvement on Shola and Lovenkrands

I wouldn't argue on the quality, but no use to us if he's on the treatment table as often as he has been especially on the wage he'll command. I thought we moved away from the big name injury prone type signings.

Guest Heneage

If he could get fit again he could be great for us.

I would have serious concerns about Santa Cruz affecting Carroll's development. He needs someone who wouldn't be making the same runs and end up cancelling each other out.

Like Shearer and Ferdinand did?

I would have serious concerns about Santa Cruz affecting Carroll's development. He needs someone who wouldn't be making the same runs and end up cancelling each other out.

Like Shearer and Ferdinand did?

I think it's fair to say both were quite a bit ahead of Carroll in their development when they were paired up. Carroll is still in his infancy at this level in his position and the last thing he needs is to play alongside someone who will be making the same runs he would look to be making. We saw shola cancelling out Carroll doing the same thing last season.

The glaring gap that we should try to fill is for a fast, creative player who can operate between the main striker and midfield. Santa Cruz is a good player (although I'm not sure of his fitness), but he doesn't fit the bill.

Well no but if there is one big man in the box he is more likely going to be the target for balls coming into the box. He is also going to draw in the defenders so if the little man has any intelligence he will know where the gaps will be left and will be given s little more freedom to pull away. Also balls from defence would be sent towards Carroll rather than both forwards having to pre-empt which target the defence are going for. It's only seconds but the sooner they know what is happening the better the movement will be and the more chance of catching the opposition out.

I definitely don't think two "big men" wont work but they need the experience to know who will go for what and Carroll is still learning his own game so really doesn't need further complications thrown into the mix.