NUFC transfer rumours in the press

madras

Newcastle United step up their striker search

ok, can i just come out and say that's JULY and now we're stepping up our striker search :lol:

all these mopes thinking we're gonna spend much of the 35m better start rethinking...we got 3 players for 5m, mike's wet dream tbh, why spend the rest

9 days left :pow:

Even though there were rumours of a failed medical, it wouldn't be beyond the realms of possibility that we paid Marveuax an inflated salary compared to Liverpools offer, happy to pay the costs of a player over the course of a contract if we can keep the initial outlay down. I'd hoped we were moving away from it, but we have always had to pay a little extra due to fashion and location even when we had the caliber of manager in Robson and were challenging for Europe.

According to the player, it was Liverpool changing the contract terms which got him here.

“I was in contact with Liverpool. I was really close to signing for them.

“The story about the medical is not true, only a rumour.

“What happened was there were some changes in the contract from the first time we had a discussion.

Seems pretty likely we won't be spending any significant money, from the moment the Carroll deal was announced the club have been pounding home the point that the money will be reinvested in"the club" rather than in the team.

My guess is we get someone like Steven Ireland (i.e a cheap reclamation project) and maybe a young striker for 5m or so.

And the Carroll money of course will be spent on every single other thing the club does, as though we were never going to have to spend another penny again before we sold him.

Seems pretty likely we won't be spending any significant money, from the moment the Carroll deal was announced the club have been pounding home the point that the money will be reinvested in"the club" rather than in the team.

My guess is we get someone like Steven Ireland (i.e a cheap reclamation project) and maybe a young striker for 5m or so.

And the Carroll money of course will be spent on every single other thing the club does, as though we were never going to have to spend another penny again before we sold him.

I don't mind signing those types of players if it means we're top 10 come end of the season. That would mean we're in a great position, my worry is that it will all backfire and we will have to panicbuy in January when we got all our signings along with HBA and Gosling injured for another 5 months.

I don't mind signing those types of players if it means we're top 10 come end of the season. That would mean we're in a great position, my worry is that it will all backfire and we will have to panicbuy in January when we got all our signings along with HBA and Gosling injured for another 5 months.

As it stands we're going to be relying almost entirely on Ben Arfa as our creative outlet next season.

Given that he's coming back from a massive injury and was known as a very inconsistent performer even before that, it's not acceptable at all IMO.

As it stands we're going to be relying almost entirely on Ben Arfa as our creative outlet next season.

Given that he's coming back from a massive injury and was known as a very inconsistent performer even before that, it's not acceptable at all IMO.

Vastly untrue, imo. The team will already be much more creative than last season. Cabaye, Marveaux, and Ben Arfa are all rather creative, skillful players who didn't feature for us last season. A greater concern is the lack of a proven, clinical, non-injury plagued striker to replace the goals of Carroll and Nolan.

Really? News to me.

And aren't Marveaux and Jonas creative outlets.

And Cabaye is known for his passing.

Barton, Cabaye, Ben Arfa, Marveaux?, Jonas (to an extent).

We're alright in the creative department imo, although i'd prefer we had a proper attacking midfield playmaker

Think Ben Arfa's that tbf. The only creative area I'd want to stengthen is a right sided player that is direct and can dribble to offer something different to/replace Barton.

We're alright in the creative department imo, although i'd prefer we had a proper attacking midfield playmaker

Hatem is this. We're not actually going to be able to carry a traditional #10 type player. Someone with Ben Arfa's pace and dribbling skills can that role fantastically.

Fair enough about Cabaye, I didn't phrase that very well. Meant more so in terms of players who'll predominantly be operating in the final third.

Marveaux is also a big question mark given the season he's coming off.

Much will depend on what system Pardew intends to deploy, I suppose.

My main concern is the striker. I never really considered our bid for Zog to be serious once we signed Marveaux, but the worry now is that our hunt for a forward seems to be floundering. Hopefully that's not the case and the club have everything in hand and won't end up pissing about in the last few days of the window only to come up short as in previous years.

Think Ben Arfa's that tbf. The only creative area I'd want to stengthen is a right sided player that is direct and can dribble to offer something different to/replace Barton.

You've basically described Jonas except that he's not limited to only the right side. Needless to say that he turns world-class whenever there's competition for his place.

Id be amazed if we arent treating Kadar and Tavernier as our backup centre halves, dont think the club will go down the old pro route again after Sol.

I don't have a problem with that as long as we're confident they can do the job competently, I've not seen either them enough to say. We don't really want to be stuck with another situation where we're wheeling out Huntington/Ramage/Edgar to get the run around every week.