The Liverpool Thread

Parky

Sacking him won't do much good in my opinion. Like it or not but he's bought average players for world class money. Those players aren't really going to take the club into the next level (Champions League) and they aren't going to receive anywhere as near as much as what was paid for them. Also the owners aren't going to go out and splash loads of money again. The new manager whoever he is has a hard job to do.

Liverpool will still be able to attract many players to their club but from the Premiership why would any player from Man City (apart from the reserves), Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle (unlike last year when Carroll and Enrique had their heads turned by Liverpool) and Chelsea leave their respective clubs for Liverpool? It would be either a backwards step or in best case scenario a side ways step. How many others players in the Premiership would be anymore than they currently have? Not many. You would have to hope that the scouts have done their work for the club and have a few targets out there who would be willing to join the club and would be affordable. If not then Liverpool are left with 2 options.

1. Use the Euro's as a scouting mission (maybe the Olympics as well).

2. Go into next season with pretty much the same squad.

Both are not options I would be happy with if I was a Liverpool fan. Judging players on the Euro's/World Cups in the past has more often than not proved to be massive mistakes. Going into next season with the same players most of which are nothing above average or just average would just mean that they will be going into the season with a great challenge of getting Liverpool back to where they were 3-4 years ago.

it was 4 1 fk sake doseena got the last.why is john scales talking e and why now does he even go to games anymore.

agreed

:lol: Aye, it's impossible to disagree with that like.

Sacking him won't do much good in my opinion. Like it or not but he's bought average players for world class money. Those players aren't really going to take the club into the next level (Champions League) and they aren't going to receive anywhere as near as much as what was paid for them. Also the owners aren't going to go out and splash loads of money again. The new manager whoever he is has a hard job to do.

Liverpool will still be able to attract many players to their club but from the Premiership why would any player from Man City (apart from the reserves), Man Utd, Arsenal, Spurs, Newcastle (unlike last year when Carroll and Enrique had their heads turned by Liverpool) and Chelsea leave their respective clubs for Liverpool? It would be either a backwards step or in best case scenario a side ways step. How many others players in the Premiership would be anymore than they currently have? Not many. You would have to hope that the scouts have done their work for the club and have a few targets out there who would be willing to join the club and would be affordable. If not then Liverpool are left with 2 options.

Both are not options I would be happy with if I was a Liverpool fan. Judging players on the Euro's/World Cups in the past has more often than not proved to be massive mistakes. Going into next season with the same players most of which are nothing above average or just average would just mean that they will be going into the season with a great challenge of getting Liverpool back to where they were 3-4 years ago.

They're still a bigger draw than us and pay more. They'd still attract our players if they were willing to pay enough IMO. Thankfully after the Carroll debacle I doubt that will happen.

They're still a bigger draw than us and pay more. They'd still attract our players if they were willing to pay enough IMO. Thankfully after the Carroll debacle I doubt that will happen.

True on wages alone they can offer much more than what we can. If your a player wanting to make a decision for footballing reasons then I wouldn't go.

Much easier to argue as a NUFC fan.

This season we have shown and proved that we really can beat pretty much anyone if we try. We were in with a chance of finishing 3rd on the last day of the season. We have shown over the course of a season we are a very good side. Our aim next season will be to challenge again for the top 4 and we are only 2-3 players away from doing that, also we will aim to have at least 1 good cup run.

Liverpool's aim next season will also be to compete for the top 4, however they are 3-4 players away from being where we are in the league this season. They will also aim for at least 1 good cup run and this season they have shown that over the course of the season they are just above average .

We will both have the same 5 year plan but I honestly believe we are a lot closer to the end result then what Liverpool are.

Of course I'm saying this as a Newcastle fan, after all I am and most of us on here are NUFC fans.

Brian Woolnough ‏@WoolnoughBrian

Liverpool must get a big name fans respect, O'Neill fits bill. #LFC :jesuswept:

Actually that wouldn't surprise me at all. Like it or not, MON still is a big name in football. He would jump at the chance I'm pretty sure, he really fancies himself as a manager of one the big clubs in this country. Sunderland could lose their new messiah :)

The thing that would go against this is probably is MON is seen as too similar to Hodgson and Dalglish, comes from a different age and they need to think a little differently with their next appointment because the previous two haven't worked at all. That makes me think that Martinez is probably the best bet.

Liverpool are, and probably always will be, a bigger draw for players than us.

From the outside yes. If we were competing for a player from elsewhere then yes Liverpool will be a better draw for them, however if they came after one of our players I don't think they would be all that tempting, certainly nothing like they were 12 months ago.

Just caught up on the last few pages some serious gold there just want to echo whats already been said: -

1 - I would jizz myself blind if O'Neil, Mcleish or Erikson is appointed.

2 - Parky you played a hell of a match congrats

3 - YNWA - Yanks out, Justice for the 100mill, Don't buy the Sun etc, etc, etc.

4 - Roberto don't do it.

Guest guinness_fiend

Not surprised, but if the scousers think getting a new boss in will be a quick fix then they'll be sadly mistaken. Far more wrong at Liverpool than who happens to be picking the team sheet.

They are clearly the laughing stock of the PL now and it'll just keep on going. :)

It's probably stopped the decline IMO, can only see them recovering now, but only slightly.

I wouldn't bet on that. A decline such as theirs will take time (and mega-bucks) to arrest - be sure of that.

I think a decent up to date manager gets that team where we are right now, no problem.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b235/moomino/29qmrko.gif

Just caught up on the last few pages some serious gold there just want to echo whats already been said: -

1 - I would jizz myself blind if O'Neil, Mcleish or Erikson is appointed.

2 - Parky you played a hell of a match congrats

3 - YNWA - Yanks out, Justice for the 100mill, Don't buy the Sun etc, etc, etc.

4 - Roberto don't do it.

:lol:

it was 4 1 fk sake doseena got the last.why is john scales talking e and why now does he even go to games anymore.

agreed

:lol: Aye, it's impossible to disagree with that like.

Wow, welling up here. Incredibly poignant and really nails the collective anguish of the Liverpool faithfully, god speed Kenneth. YNWA, Girl Power, Thunder Cats Hooooooo!!!

It wouldn't really affect Sunderland if O'Neil left IMO, but it might be a disaster for Liverpool of they picked him.

Would be awful for the mackems as i think he's the very best they can get and will probably take them into the top 8 or 9 next season. could see their next appointment being awful. would also be treading water for liverpool as MON is a top 7 manager but not someone who is special enough to overtake us, spurs, chelsea and arsenal to get into the top 4.

so obviously i think it would be a superb appointment  :snod:

It wouldn't really affect Sunderland if O'Neil left IMO, but it might be a disaster for Liverpool of they picked him.

He's the best manager they'll have for a long, long time imo, and I don't rate him particularly highly.