James Perch

BeloEmre

Guest icemanblue

The thread is about James Perch, a squad player.

Here's a generalisation: 'people go on like we never make any signings and we're filling our squad with Tomkins-alikes'.

You sure about that?

We are buying good players but not a team.  That's why it's flawed, we buying good individuals but looking at the reason why we massively struggled last season, we didn't look a team in most games.

Cheeky £30m bid for the entire Swansea team?

Guest neesy111

We are buying good players but not a team.  That's why it's flawed, we buying good individuals but looking at the reason why we massively struggled last season, we didn't look a team in most games.

Do agree but i wouldn't put that solely down to the recruitment, the manager and his coaching staff has a part to play in this also.

Recruitment should fit into what a manager is wanting imo as he is the most important person at the club.  If Pardew has concerns about the make-up of the squad, he should be listened if they don't want to listen as they don't trust him, then sack him.

I'm happy Perch has gone, but if Pardew wanted him to stay then it shows of the mess from boardroom to the manager as he should be listened.

Do agree but i wouldn't put that solely down to the recruitment, the manager and his coaching staff has a part to play in this also.

Recruitment should fit into what a manager is wanting imo as he is the most important person at the club.  If Pardew has concerns about the make-up of the squad, he should be listened if they don't want to listen as they don't trust him, then sack him.

I'm happy Perch has gone, but if Pardew wanted him to stay then it shows of the mess from boardroom to the manager as he should be listened.

This is the problem for me and has been for a very long time.... what the manager wants from recruitment and playing style is completely different from what the board seems to pursue.

They are pulling in opposite directions, its like one big tug of war between the two. A football club needs to all pull in the same direction IMO and we don't do that.

The thread is about James Perch, a squad player.

Here's a generalisation: 'people go on like we never make any signings and we're filling our squad with Tomkins-alikes'.

You sure about that?

Well he was talking to me, so yeah.

We've made some apparently very good individual signings in recent years. However we still look average at best as a team, and getting rid of valuable squad players that the manager trusts just to save a few quid is very short-sighted. The purple player business is on record as how we operate, as is a recurring theme of not replacing players until much later in favour of saving money. Unless old cunt Kinnear brings about a sea change, I'm not sure why this isn't still our policy.

I would be all for the upgrading the likes of Perch if I believed we are willing to pay for it.

Guest neesy111

This is the problem for me and has been for a very long time.... what the manager wants from recruitment and playing style is completely different from what the board seems to pursue.

They are pulling in opposite directions, its like one big tug of war between the two. A football club needs to all pull in the same direction IMO and we don't do that.

:thup:

100% agree.

tbh I see the point but the didn't look like a team thing didn't really come in until the 2nd half of the season post jan splurge where we didn't have a chance to bed in the new players into the team really. Hopefully that will be solved this pre season

Wish him all the best! Wont forget his amazing tackles on Suarez, specially the one where he came in with the studs in his knee and the ref deemed it a fair challange. Good lad!

Decent utility player but we obviously felt he wasn't good enough to offer a bigger contract. Similar to Danny Simpson I suppose. Whether he's a miss or not we won't know until the season starts with or without a replacement.

tbh I see the point but the didn't look like a team thing didn't really come in until the 2nd half of the season post jan splurge where we didn't have a chance to bed in the new players into the team really. Hopefully that will be solved this pre season

Hope so. Pardew needs to find a formula that fits the majority of our players and stick with it. This it's where not being totally in charge of transfers becomes a problem though, he won't truly know how his squad will shape up until the window closes. We could buy or sell anyone.

Decent utility player but we obviously felt he wasn't good enough to offer a bigger contract. Similar to Danny Simpson I suppose. Whether he's a miss or not we won't know until the season starts with or without a replacement.

Yup, fail to see the reason for much anguish.

If he's not replaced I suspect Anita may play a larger role and we'll get to see whether the younger lads like Bigi can step up this time, rather than last seasons aborted experiment.

Good luck Perch. You'll get a warm reception if we see you back one day. :clap2:

Incidentally this is further confirmation that recruitment is done without much regard for Pardew. Last season one of his main priorities was to have more utility players who could cover positions in midfield and defence, I'm pretty sure John O'Shea was the example he gave. Perch was a Pardew favourite as well, there were plenty of games where he was preferred to genuine midfielders like Anita or Marveaux.

He said: “I appreciate that Alan Pardew did everything he could to keep me.”

Perch, though, was optimistic about his future, adding: “I am delighted to be joining Wigan. It’s a great club.

“I’m looking forward to the challenge.”

And explaining his feelings on being allowed to leave, Perch said: “I understand Newcastle’s new transfer policy. Time will tell if that is the right route.

Hmm.

Perch, though, was optimistic about his future, adding: “I am delighted to be joining Wigan. It’s a great club.

And explaining his feelings on being allowed to leave, Perch said: “I understand Newcastle’s new transfer policy. Time will tell if that is the right route.

Hmm.

That sounds incredibly ominous.

Hmm.

That sounds incredibly ominous.

Maybe he could explain it to us then, cause I have no clue what to expect..

Sounds like he wants to leave respectfully without rocking the boat here too much. Doesn't sound like he agrees with our new policy, interested to hear what it is. A move away from young, overseas players to proven Premiership quality?

Doesn't sound good also that already Pardew has been undermined by being made to sell a player he was keen on keeping. We all know how that kind of thing ends.

Sounds like he wants to leave respectfully without rocking the boat here too much. Doesn't sound like he agrees with our new policy, interested to hear what it is. A move away from young, overseas players to proven Premiership quality?

Doesn't sound good also that already Pardew has been undermined by being made to sell a player he was keen on keeping. We all know how that kind of thing ends.

How would that have affected Perch though?