The other games today - 2010/11

clintdempsey

Apparently we took about 2,000.  The 3 previous games between the two sides have been dire to be honest, which is probably why we didn't take more.

For what it's worth the attendance in the first match was just shy of 15,000. Not great by any means, but not particularly embarrassing either.

Barca will get an early goal in the second leg. Arsenl will have to come out a bit to get an away goal and Barca will pick them off twice more.

3-0 win. Nailed on. :)

If Arsenal could play a defensive game like Inter last year, they'd have a chance. Trouble is, I don't think that's in their repertoire.

bit of a strange win for arsenal. barcelona dominated them and were breathtaking to watch, but one double whammy later and they've lost. having said that, barcelona don't lose, they just let the other team win.....and they'll still destroy them in the second leg. piece of cake. great game though!

keep the faith!

PS/ how brilliant was wilshere? he was a superstar tonight.

Glad Arsenal won, though I'm beginning to think my hatred of Barcelona might be a little churlish. A lot of it can be attributed to the unholy aerial abilities of Messi or Xavi on Pro-evo, resulting in their ability to out-jump Standard's 6' centre backs with such regularity, and the ensuing trash talk of some 12 year old French kid which is coming out of your TV speakers. 

Anyway, the second goal is a classic example of how Barca can be beaten. The initial pass out of defence (the fourth from the end - I think it was Fabregas to Wilshire) was made when four Barca players were crowded around the passer. Four players - that is a whole midfield out of position. So long as a player can push the ball out of the pocket of Barca pressure, the spaces left by these four players are open to exploitation. I know this is a calculated form of defensive strategy from Guardiola, but it think that its efficacy so far stems from novelty rather than probability. I was hammering on about this after the Madrid game:

[complaints...]

I'd have rather seen Madrid switch the ball quickly across the pitch. The way Barca defend cannot be sustained for 90 minutes, they rely on getting ahead and being able to control possession for a large period of the game otherwise they tire. I remember the game against Arsenal in the CL, Arsenal were not even that ruthless about switching the ball around, and Barca looked absolutely punch drunk for the last fifteen minutes. Real should have been looking to get around Barca's intense pressure when the ball is lost by popping the ball 40-50 yards away into the space those players chasing it have vacated, rather than being caught in possession by them so frequently. That happened often, along with punting it down the pitch towards the Barca back 5, 4 of whom generally stay flat when defending. (I should have put a picture in here: that is an awfully concise description of a complex process, and an insult to clarity to boot, but I can't be done with it.)

[more complaints...]

wilshere was fantastic btw, only arsenal player who really turned up 1st half, and pivotal in the 2nd.

Agree totally,he was different class tonight.

Thirded. Thought Eboue was decent tonight n all.

He needs to stop throwing himself about and give the ball up a bit more but apart from that he's a brilliant deputy to Sagna.

Guest Heneage

Haha VI! Now you know what it's like to perform very slightly worse than the other team!

I have known that several times over my life, I didn't start supporting this team 2 years ago man :lol:

Several times man, several bloody times, I knew it more than several times just during the 2009.-10 season.

Haha VI! Now you know what it's like to perform very slightly worse than the other team!

I have known that several times over my life, I didn't start supporting this team 2 years ago man :lol:

Yeah man, VI knows PAIN when it comes to supporting a football team! O0

Bring back the non-glory days of 1999-2004!

Dutruel, Gabri, Navarro, Gerard etc.  Good times.

We finished sixth in 2003, SIXTH!!!!!!

how did you go on

http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_kszb5vKfna1qapxx6o1_400.jpg