Hatem Ben Arfa

Guest sicko2ndbest

We know we've got a player now, and it's a matter of getting the best out of him.

It seemed that he can go past defenders either side, and can deal with opponents either getting tight or backing off. I'd have thought the best chance for the opposition is to deny him the ball in the first place.

In which case, I'd give him the licence to roam and look for the ball rather than be stuck on the wing. It'll mean adjusting our approach and building the team around him, because at the moment our secondary striker - whether it be Nolan or Lovenkrands - seems to play fairly close to Carroll.

He played what? 25 minutes tops? Howay man, at least save this for his first full game.

Martins used to hold his run well, when he did run that is. Anyway with the way Ben Arfa sets up a ball I just think it would of been made for someone like Martins who could hold his run untill needed. Shame he isn't here anymore, I think Ben Arfa would have been able to provide Martins with a few assists like Jonas did once or twice when he got his final ball right.

We know we've got a player now, and it's a matter of getting the best out of him.

It seemed that he can go past defenders either side, and can deal with opponents either getting tight or backing off. I'd have thought the best chance for the opposition is to deny him the ball in the first place.

In which case, I'd give him the licence to roam and look for the ball rather than be stuck on the wing. It'll mean adjusting our approach and building the team around him, because at the moment our secondary striker - whether it be Nolan or Lovenkrands - seems to play fairly close to Carroll.

He played what? 25 minutes tops? Howay man, at least save this for his first full game.

Even before he took the field, Hughton had to start thinking about how best to use him. We're all armchair managers, and those are just my thoughts at the moment.

Apart from anything else, the wide positions aren't the weakest area of the team. We need someone to inject a bit of pace and unpredictability down the middle.

Hatem Ben Arfa pulled on a black and white shirt for the first time on Saturday as he made his Newcastle debut as a substitute against Blackpool, and had the number 37 on his back.

But the Frenchman admits he would rather have worn a different number - 55, to be precise!

"To be honest, there simply wasn't a very wide selection of numbers available," said Ben Arfa. "And the club wouldn't let me have number 55. Why 55? I just thought it would be funny!"

The former Marseille man showed enough in his short spell on the pitch to suggest he will be a great acquisition for The Magpies and, speaking in an exclusive interview with the Newcastle United matchday programme, he revealed his excitement at playing in the Barclays Premier League.

"I've played against Manchester United for Lyon and Liverpool for Marseille in the Champions League and very much enjoyed it. Now I can't wait to play in this country and in the Premier League every week.

"I think it's one of the best leagues in the world and obviously I'm looking forward to it. It will be a real pleasure to play with the atmosphere you get in those stadiums in England."

A huge cheer greeted Ben Arfa's arrival against The Tangerines and he provided a glimpse of the ability which made him one of French football's brightest stars. And he is keen to live up to the fans' expectations of him.

"I am confident that I can," he said. "For people who haven't seen me play, I would say I am an attacking player who likes to play in tight spaces, to dribble and to make decisive, final passes and shots. But I will let the supporters make up their own minds about me."

But for anybody hoping he will be the new David Ginola or Laurent Robert, the French international with two goals in eight caps has this message.

"I've heard that those players were very popular at Newcastle, and that is partly why the club is so well-known in France - because of those players. So of course, I want to emulate that.

"But I must say that, although I am from the same country and am also left-footed, I would prefer not to be compared to those players or any other player.

"I am Hatem Ben Arfa and I'd like to show the people of this city what Hatem Ben Arfa can do."

The number on the back of his shirt may not be the one he wanted, but the name above it is one that could become very popular over the months ahead.

from co.

Guest Tall Striker

Has anyone seen him in the team photo in the Chronicle? He looks so happy being there.

http://s.bebo.com/app-image/7933934132/5411656627/PROFILE/i.quizzaz.com/img/q/u/08/04/01/LINcoln_burrows.jpg ?