Rangers 2 - 1 Newcastle United - 07/08/10

Fenham Mag

Pros

Some excellent passing and progressive football.

Barton looking like a decent player.

Routledge is dangerous.

Heads didn't go down too much despite goals coming against the run of play.

Cons

Nolan was largely anonymous. Not good considering he's the first name on the teamsheet.

Distinct lack of quality in the final third to go with our general play.

Lack guile around the edge of the penalty area.

Potential injuries to our most important players. Fucking hope Carroll and Enrique are okay.

Perch looks worryingly pap.

Overall we were pretty good all things considered IMO.

Boring match

Glimpses of some decent stuff but not the quality up front to make anything of it. (Ashley spend some cash you tight wanker)

Thought we were the better side overall but that means nothing.

First half performance was very good. We lost the 2nd half on ourselves - it was like he was picking names out of a hat for substitutions.

I had no idea what formation we were playing :lol:

Thing is, Nolan was anonymous last season but weighed in with some vital goals.

Against shite opposition. I don't have confidence in him being able to do it in the big league, which effectively puts us down to ten men.

Well, it has to be Carroll and Lovenkrands for me up front.. Shame we didn't see them both on the pitch today..

Can't see us playing 2 strikers next week at all.

Probably not, but we'll lose that one either way most likely. It's about getting a partnership together that will score goals in matches where we can and will need to get the points we require for survival..

Guest neesy111

Was Perch that bad? Hope he's not another Ryan Taylor.

I hope he is. He looks worse at the moment..

This

how seriously were we taking this?  it seemed like 1 team very motivated (they're playing champs league ffs!) vs 1 team having a brisk kickabout.  why else would shola take such umbrage at the shoulder bump?

Guest firetotheworks

Was Perch that bad? Hope he's not another Ryan Taylor.

Ryan Taylor is an improvement on him atm. Even Simpson is.......fucking hell.

It's the first time I've seen them this season, and there's definitely been some improvements. With Guthrie and Barton we look a lot more confident about playing the ball through the midfield. Nolan also looks fitter than he's been since he's joined us.

To join the chorus, we could do with a mobile secondary striker to partner Carroll / Shola. Lovenkrands isn't good enough.

We looked weak in the air defensively, but Campbell should be a big help there.

To be picky about the midfield, we don't have a goalscoring CM, and at times we could do with breaking a bit quicker. Sometimes we seemed to play one pass too many.

Well, it has to be Carroll and Lovenkrands for me up front.. Shame we didn't see them both on the pitch today..

Can't see us playing 2 strikers next week at all.

Probably not, but we'll lose that one either way most likely. It's about getting a partnership together that will score goals in matches where we can and will need to get the points we require for survival..

Yeah, agree that Carroll and Lovenkrands are clearly our best bet for home games and winnable away ones. 

We could really do with a nippy, skilful forward though - would make all the difference.