Leon Best

Leazes1986

I've just heard Pardew on Radio Newcastle saying that the tight pitch at Fulham was the reason he didn't play well as he didn't get a chance to show his pace! What fucking pace?!?

Hughton said he had pace when he signed him, Coleman said he had pace the other night but I agree I haven't seen much sign of it. I don't know if it's the way we are playing as at the moment the only service him and Ranger are getting is high balls hoofed in their general direction.

I've just heard Pardew on Radio Newcastle saying that the tight pitch at Fulham was the reason he didn't play well as he didn't get a chance to show his pace! What fucking pace?!?

Hughton said he had pace when he signed him, Coleman said he had pace the other night but I agree I haven't seen much sign of it. I don't know if it's the way we are playing as at the moment the only service him and Ranger are getting is high balls hoofed in their general direction.

Exactly, Ranger and Best might be Usain Bolt for all we know, but dealing with shoulder-height balls while facing away from goal won't help them show it.

He's hopeless.. Could've worked next to Carroll but now.. now, I'd rather play without strikers than watch him struggle to trap the ball all game.

he wouldn't have worked next to carroll as he's a through the middle striker, not a feed off man. no surprise his best game came withhim leading and mcloven being the feed off man which i don't think will happen tomorrow but could well be the formation till shola's back.

He's the most average player i've ever seen playing for us, and thats really saying something, i'd have almost any striker in the league instead of him.

Just stop it.

Are you seriously defending Best? He's wank, I'm sorry I missed the West Ham match, but I have never seen such a bad striker at this club. Mind I started watching matched regularly 12 years ago but still. He's an awful footballer and we should've considered selling him after his hattrick. I perform better than him, and I'm not joking. I would do a better job than him on the football field, and I don't even earn money playing football. Come on.

Guest toonlass

It's not Leon Best's fault that he is mid-Championship level at best. Pardew really does need to take some responsibility for not getting a decent striking option in in the window. Even without taking Carroll's sale into the equation we were already needing a striker iyam. We should have been enquiring about Keane or Sturridge or someone else to bolster our attacking options.

I think our current strikeforce is not only the worst we've ever had in the prem but the worst in the league currently and must be one of the worst in premiership history.

Haway, haven't we played with Guivar'ch as a lone front man? And haven't Everton started games with no strikers?

I think our current strikeforce is not only the worst we've ever had in the prem but the worst in the league currently and must be one of the worst in premiership history.

Haway, haven't we played with Guivar'ch as a lone front man? And haven't Everton started games with no strikers?

Due to injury.

PS: Mackem  O0

Shola:  Injury prone, stationary, no balance, lazy, inconsistent: Overall decent Championship striker.

Lovernkrands: Injury prone, has pace but doesn't know how to use it, inconsistent, support striker: Overall decent Scottish Premier striker.

Best: Injury prone, lazy, weak in the air, slow, inconsistent, terrible goal ratio: Average at best Championship striker.

Ranger: Young, inconsistent, troubled, lazy off field, self styled gansta, couldn't hit a barn door, has more shite tattoos than goals to his name: Overall good League One striker.

Only ranger is going to get any better, the rest are passengers and have nothing to offer. I feel sick at going the rest of the season with that, and with Carroll's assists to Nolan gone, we'll struggle with goals and struggle to stay up imho.

He's the most average player i've ever seen playing for us, and thats really saying something, i'd have almost any striker in the league instead of him.

Just stop it.

Are you seriously defending Best? He's w***, I'm sorry I missed the West Ham match, but I have never seen such a bad striker at this club. Mind I started watching matched regularly 12 years ago but still. He's an awful footballer and we should've considered selling him after his hattrick. I perform better than him, and I'm not joking. I would do a better job than him on the football field, and I don't even earn money playing football. Come on.

Best  got some inherent quality such as good finishing skills, decent technique and pace. But he seems very remote when he's on the pitch: his body is there, but not his mind. And in the world's fastest football league, that's not good enough. As Mame Biram Diouf pointed out when took the step from the Norwegian Tippeligaen to PL: the league is so fast, that he has to think two/three steps ahead all the time.  This does not apply for Best..But it should, the man is 24 years old.

Due to injury.

PS: Mackem  O0

:lol:

Sorry, can't trust us Gateshead folk.

Anyway, fair point our strikerforce is shit.

I dont think the fulham game was a solid basis to write him off. We put barely any crosses in & didnt really get behind them atall.

Against West ham he formed a good partnership with Loven using his pace to get behind, might be worth trying that & using Nile as an impact player again.

As Punk77 says, I think the pace of the game is still a bit much for Best, but he has some good attributes. I would persevere with him for a decent run of games (we will probably have to now anyway).

I wouldn't mind seeing him tried as the lone striker with Nolan behind him.

I dont think the fulham game was a solid basis to write him off. We put barely any crosses in & didnt really get behind them atall.

Against West ham he formed a good partnership with Loven using his pace to get behind, might be worth trying that & using Nile as an impact player again.

That's what I thought we should have done against Fulham. I never like to see two target men starting a game it rarely works.

It's not Leon Best's fault that he is mid-Championship level at best. Pardew really does need to take some responsibility for not getting a decent striking option in in the window. Even without taking Carroll's sale into the equation we were already needing a striker iyam. We should have been enquiring about Keane or Sturridge or someone else to bolster our attacking options.

I have a feeling that the club now will only sign players that are thoroughly scouted, e.g. Tiote.  They'd rather not sign any player if they are not sure the player will be a hit.

Guest toonlass

I have a feeling that the club now will only sign players that are thoroughly scouted, e.g. Tiote.  They'd rather not sign any player if they are not sure the player will be a hit.

How does Ireland fit into that theory?

Guest firetotheworks

I hope the shit cloud doesn't rain down upon him like it did with Kitson. It's not Best's fault that he's not Andy Carroll.

How does Ireland fit into that theory?

Loan signings, e.g. Ben Arfa.

Just stop it.

Are you seriously defending Best? He's w***, I'm sorry I missed the West Ham match, but I have never seen such a bad striker at this club. Mind I started watching matched regularly 12 years ago but still. He's an awful footballer and we should've considered selling him after his hattrick. I perform better than him, and I'm not joking. I would do a better job than him on the football field, and I don't even earn money playing football. Come on.

I didn't defend Best, halfwit. I'm just tired of this particular poster laying into him, when he's far from the worst player in the squad.

• 3 weeks later...

We all know he's not the best (pardon the pun) striker around, but to say that you'd take any striker in the league ahead of him, or you'd do a better job than him yourself, is utter s****. He's got 5 in 7 ffs, he's obviously doing a half decent job. I'm not saying we shouldn't try and sign some better strikers in the summer, because we should, but some of the posts in here are beyond belief.