Leon Best

Leazes1986

Best wasn't the greatest forward you've ever seen but we seemed to do OK when he was in the side - he was a good foil for Ba and he could hold up the ball better than both Ba and Cisse. Scored some important goals and we have never had a co-ordinated forward line since he left.

A great pity for the lad that he got injured at Blackburn.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think there's anything to take from it other than an appreciation of him for having been decent for us when it wasn't expected. That's as far as it goes with me, I liked him when I had expected him to be crap.

Best might not have much of a goals record elsewhere, but when he was here he showed an appetite for goals that has been missing from both Luke de Jong and Riviere. You can't play with one striker who isn't interested in scoring goals, no matter what he does elsewhere on the pitch.

No goals in our Championship season, then 6 in 11 and 4 in 18 in the Premiership. Think the latter stat is the fairer reflection of him. He added something to the team with his running and determination, we have that now in Riviere but his technique doesn't look as good and I don't know where he's going to get goals from. Still adjusting though, of course.

• 1 year later...

I can't quite believe the fall off he has had?  Heard a few managers compliment his attitude at training and that he is in great shape.  Yet he has struggled massively?  He did well for us in the Prem I thought, even though he was far from prolific.

Seems like he went to Blackburn, got a big contract and then fell out with the manager.  He's barely scored since leaving us and has had quite a few different clubs.

I can't quite believe the fall off he has had?  Heard a few managers compliment his attitude at training and that he is in great shape.  Yet he has struggled massively?  He did well for us in the Prem I thought, even though he was far from prolific.

Seems like he went to Blackburn, got a big contract and then fell out with the manager.  He's barely scored since leaving us and has had quite a few different clubs.

The serious knee ligament injury he had straight after signing for Blackburn may have had something to do with that.

The serious knee ligament injury he had straight after signing for Blackburn may have had something to do with that.

D'oh!  Must have missed that.  He's never had a great scoring record.  But I honestly thought he was good for us in the prem.  Seemed marmite with the fans though!