Manchester Utd 3 - 0 Newcastle Utd - 16/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

will people give Nolan a break, he was played out of position in case anyone didn't watch the game properly.#

I blame this on Hughton.

Why the f*** didn't CH employ Nolan as a central midfield I will never know, he played him upfront with Carroll wtf!!???  When we had Shola and Xisco on the bench.

At times Carroll was deeper and closer to the midfield than Nolan was.  Now tell me what the f*** is this type of tactic meant to be?? Amateur.

If CH employed him Nolan as a Attack Mid player then why was he given the license to play so far up in attack.  The whole formation stunk and smelt of ineptitude.

Today it really showed the difference between a World Class Prem Coach and a Championship one.

That is Nolan's position, that's where he was succesful for Bolton. Maybe the reason Carroll was there in the first place was because Nolan is such an unfit footballer he didn't have the legs to get back?

Nolan was just wandering around aimlessly, not even closing down opposition, that's the whole point of an attacking midfielder to get back enough to be an extra man but then link and/or break with the attack. He didn't do either and just doesn't have what it takes against such energetic opposition. 

no nolan was deeper when he was at bolton,. he had the license to make runs out of mid, but mid was his primary position.

Iirc his stand-out season at Bolton, where he scored 10 was when he was playing just behind Davies. If not, then he had the legs then, he just doesn't have the legs now, if CM is his best position i seriously worry because he was truly awful there when he first signed he was over-ran by virtually everyone he came up against.

bench the guy u think?  what is our most strongest midfield in a 3 man or 5 man mid u say?  dont say 4-4-2 i hate 4-4-2

As others have said it was very pleasing the way the lads kept at it and didn't give up. In the relegation season that game would've finished 5 or 6 nil because as soon as it got to 2-0 our players would've dropped their heads and stopped playing.

Carroll was immense. Absolutely fantastic shift put in by him.

Where is Lovenkrands? He's got limited capabilities but if we insist on booting the ball up long to Carroll we need someone with a bit of pace to play next to him

In the relegation season this game ended 1-1.

When did I mention anything about this game?

I see what you're getting at.

Nolan playing in CM in the Premiership would require a defensive midfielder who is basically a powerhouse. Nolan & Guthrie in the Championship was fine, especially at SJP, as we were always on the attack and the opposition was dire. We might get away with that at home to Blackpool and the occasional other shite team, but in general, Nolan will be pissed on in centre midfield in 4-4-2. Look at the WBA home game last season, team who can pass the ball against Nolan and Smith in centre midfield, had the better of the game for the most part. The fact that Nolan is captain worries me because it means he will play more often than not, and the 4-5-1 will probably stay home and away.

Not sure how you can say Routledge was rubbish and then not say anything about Gutierrez.

Jonas keeps possession better in general, but the mistake was unforgiveable for the first goal. I like Routledge but he's frustrating to watch at times because I can see he could be a lot better than he is, final product like Jonas is poor.

Perch looked all over the place.

Oh, and Scholes. Jesus Christ what a player. Best player on the pitch by a mile today.

There was one ball he pinged out to Valencia (who ran it out the pitch) that was just amazing :smitten:

in the second half ? i was laughing,"wasted ball" as it flew bryond man utd players and ours...........but right into valencias path whom nobody had seen.

Not sure how you can say Routledge was rubbish and then not say anything about Gutierrez.

Jonas keeps possession better in general, but the mistake was unforgiveable for the first goal. I like Routledge but he's frustrating to watch at times because I can see he could be a lot better than he is, final product like Jonas is poor.

His final product is miles ahead of Jonas'.

As others have said it was very pleasing the way the lads kept at it and didn't give up. In the relegation season that game would've finished 5 or 6 nil because as soon as it got to 2-0 our players would've dropped their heads and stopped playing.

Carroll was immense. Absolutely fantastic shift put in by him.

Where is Lovenkrands? He's got limited capabilities but if we insist on booting the ball up long to Carroll we need someone with a bit of pace to play next to him

In the relegation season this game ended 1-1.

and yet we got beat 5-1 in a season we stopped up

Which is why this game is really an un-important one.

Anything we got from the match was a bonus. It's how we perform against the Blackpool, West Brom's and Wigan's that will determine whether or not we'll stay up.

It's when he tries beating too many men at once when he starts to piss me off, but yes his final product is a lot better.

It's when he tries beating too many men at once when he starts to piss me off, but yes his final product is a lot better.

Jonas' does that every time he gets the ball, man.

Oh, and Scholes. Jesus Christ what a player. Best player on the pitch by a mile today.

There was one ball he pinged out to Valencia (who ran it out the pitch) that was just amazing :smitten:

in the second half ? i was laughing,"wasted ball" as it flew bryond man utd players and ours...........but right into valencias path whom nobody had seen.

That was the one. We all went 'wow, where did he come from?' Insane pass.

Not the best worded article, Mani, but overall Samuel is right with his (albeit obvious) points: the Premiership won't give him many other chances, if any at all, in a match to redeem a miss, and also that if he misses many similar chances this year, you'll probably go down.

Jonas' does that every time he gets the ball, man.

Aye, even my lass has that one sussed. She can't stand him. :lol:

will people give Nolan a break, he was played out of position in case anyone didn't watch the game properly.#

I blame this on Hughton.

Why the f*** didn't CH employ Nolan as a central midfield I will never know, he played him upfront with Carroll wtf!!???  When we had Shola and Xisco on the bench.

At times Carroll was deeper and closer to the midfield than Nolan was.  Now tell me what the f*** is this type of tactic meant to be?? Amateur.

If CH employed him Nolan as a Attack Mid player then why was he given the license to play so far up in attack.  The whole formation stunk and smelt of ineptitude.

Today it really showed the difference between a World Class Prem Coach and a Championship one.

That is Nolan's position, that's where he was succesful for Bolton. Maybe the reason Carroll was there in the first place was because Nolan is such an unfit footballer he didn't have the legs to get back?

Nolan was just wandering around aimlessly, not even closing down opposition, that's the whole point of an attacking midfielder to get back enough to be an extra man but then link and/or break with the attack. He didn't do either and just doesn't have what it takes against such energetic opposition. 

no nolan was deeper when he was at bolton,. he had the license to make runs out of mid, but mid was his primary position.

Iirc his stand-out season at Bolton, where he scored 10 was when he was playing just behind Davies. If not, then he had the legs then, he just doesn't have the legs now, if CM is his best position i seriously worry because he was truly awful there when he first signed he was over-ran by virtually everyone he came up against.

bench the guy u think?  what is our most strongest midfield in a 3 man or 5 man mid u say?  dont say 4-4-2 i hate 4-4-2

We don't have the stamina, quality or discipline to have a 3 man midfield, unfortunately, so i'd have to go with a 5 man midfield. I would only use a 5 man midfield when we're playing away or one of the big 4 at home and Nolan wouldn't be a starter.

I remember Lovenkrands looking good playing in the hole against the likes of Man U and Arsenal, so for me he would be the extra 'midfielder'. He isn't a good defender but you don't have to be when you're the extra man you just need to be able to get your body in the way of opponent and have some pace so you can break quickly. If we bring someone else in (Ben Arfa hopefully) then i'd play him there instead.

In terms of central midfield, Barton is an automatic starter for me as he has the most pedigree. His partner i am torn about though: Smith offers a good engine, some decent tackles and commitment. 

Guthrie is a decent creative player and can pick a pass and make something happen.

Between the 2, i really can't decide but both possess abilities that Nolan doesn't have apart from a decent shot.

The wide men pick themselves as does our starting striker. For the other games inbetween, it's 4-4-2 i'm afraid.

I blame this on Hughton.

We don't have the stamina, quality or discipline to have a 3 man midfield, unfortunately, so i'd have to go with a 5 man midfield. I would only use a 5 man midfield when we're playing away or one of the big 4 at home and Nolan wouldn't be a starter.

I remember Lovenkrands looking good playing in the hole against the likes of Man U and Arsenal, so for me he would be the extra 'midfielder'. He isn't a good defender but you don't have to be when you're the extra man you just need to be able to get your body in the way of opponent and have some pace so you can break quickly. If we bring someone else in (Ben Arfa hopefully) then i'd play him there instead.

In terms of central midfield, Barton is an automatic starter for me as he has the most pedigree. His partner i am torn about though: Smith offers a good engine, some decent tackles and commitment.   

Guthrie is a decent creative player and can pick a pass and make something happen.

Between the 2, i really can't decide but both possess abilities that Nolan doesn't have apart from a decent shot.

The wide men pick themselves as does our starting striker. For the other games inbetween, it's 4-4-2 i'm afraid.

I know you don't like a 3 man midfield but if we can use Guti and Routledge as dynamic widemen who can go back to midfield to form a 5 man mid and push up for a 3 man attack, giving Carroll support when he holds up the ball or flick ons.

That's my formation for the team with the current players we have.  I would stick with this formation home and away.  Have the system ingrained in the heads of the players.

I don;t like 4-4-2 cus we dont have a quick nippy striker .  I don;t want to play two big guys up there, as it lacks dynamics.

I would use Loven as another alternative for the wide position, although i agree he's pretty useful in central attack.

I blame this on Hughton.

I know you don't like a 3 man midfield but if we can use Guti and Routledge as dynamic widemen who can go back to midfield to form a 5 man mid and push up for a 3 man attack, giving Carroll support when he holds up the ball or flick ons.

That's my formation for the team with the current players we have.  I would stick with this formation home and away.  Have the system ingrained in the heads of the players.

I don;t like 4-4-2 cus we dont have a quick nippy striker .  I don;t want to play two big guys up there, as it lacks dynamics.

I would use Loven as another alternative for the wide position, although i agree he's pretty useful in central attack.

its as sad as it gets when the phrase "quick nippy striker" comes out, its 1970S style football (bet theres two out and out wingers aswell)

I love how no1 is really bothered about us getting  beat 3-0  :lol:

I remember a few seasons ago i would've been slagging us off like i dont know what.

Now i am having a go at my mates, areee, we're shite this, shite that, deserve to go back down. Ok, away to Man Utd first game of the season, we get beat. I'm really upbeat about this season, encourage all the way. Heware the lads!

I blame this on Hughton.

its as sad as it gets when the phrase "quick nippy striker" comes out, its 1970S style football (bet theres two out and out wingers aswell)

what got up yr crack

a nippy striker i meant someone that has that workhorse mentality who will make runs for the other striker,  someone busy like Tevez in terms of workrate.

I blame this on Hughton.

what got up yr crack

a nippy striker i meant someone that has that workhorse mentality who will make runs for the other striker,  someone busy like Tevez in terms of workrate.

so by that you actually meant a totally different style of player.....on that i'm right with you bro.

I love how no1 is really bothered about us getting  beat 3-0  :lol:

I remember a few seasons ago i would've been slagging us off like i dont know what.

Now i am having a go at my mates, areee, we're shite this, shite that, deserve to go back down. Ok, away to Man Utd first game of the season, we get beat. I'm really upbeat about this season, encourage all the way. Heware the lads!

we just come out of the championship remember and we ain't signed no one of significance in class, plus although we won the championship we didn't exactly set it alight.

3-0 flattered us a bit to be honest.

What is a real pisser is that I don't think we're all that far away from being a pretty decent side, we just desperately lack any sort of quality up front.

Carroll is the only striker we have that you can make any real case for as a genuine Premiership quality player. Shola has had plenty of chances, it's obvious at this point he'll never be a consistent player in this or probably any league. He's a passable back-up to Carroll, not much more. Lovenkrands is easy to like and he's handy to have in the squad because he'll give you a bit of movement up top, but he hasn't got much in the way of quality. Best I don't think is good enough, Xisco does have ability but I'll be utterly shocked if he ever achieves anything for us. Ranger isn't ready.

One striker, and even then Carroll is hardly proven at this level. Have a feeling he'll do alright though, gave Man United a few problems today even though he was essentially playing up front on his own.

Having such poor players up front doesn't just make it hard to score goals, it makes everything else much tougher as well. Man U played the entire game in our half of the field, there was just no threat of anything from us on a counter attack whatsoever so why wouldn't they? Even when we did get the ball back we didn't have much chance of keeping the thing, there was just nowhere for us to play. Their first goal was terrible from Jonas, but we'd been pinned so far back by Man U that when Jonas gets the ball not far outside his own box he's actually our furthest player forward. There's nowhere to go, and you lose the ball. Keep giving Man United the ball in the final third and they'll score eventually.

The rest of the side is actually not that bad at all. Harper's alright in goal, does more or less everything in a slightly above average fashion. Enrique is a good young full-back who should keep getting better. Perch looked very nervous out there but I think there's hope for him. Between him Simpson and Taylor we should find someone who can at least be passable back there. Colo and Williamson looked alright tonight, and we've Campbell and Taylor to hopefully come back to add competition.

We've an OK gang of CM's. Barton was poor tonight but if he stays clear of injury and himself he'll do OK this year. I like Guthrie, hope he's back for the Villa game, given a run of games together I think he and Barton would do well. Smith is alright for depth, hopefully Gosling can show something and push him down to pecking order though. Ideally we want more quality in CM long term, but it's not our biggest concern right now.

We also seem well organised and the players do play for each other, but there's just no quality in the final third. Jonas and Routledge are useful players, but neither will strike fear into teams. Routledge is a bit flakey, while Jonas has more or less no end product at all.

Hopefully we sign Ben Arfa, sounds like he'd a big addition. He could fill in on either wing as well as potentially playing just off the striker, in the role that Nolan parodied tonight.

Really think we need another striker on top of that though, someone with a bit of pace and mobility who can threaten teams over the top. It'd be really fucking frustrating to see a player like Bellamy go on loan somewhere else when he'd do wonders for our team.

We don't get players like that and we could very easily go back down again though. It's no real harm losing to Man United, but if we send that same group of players back out there against Villa next week and I'd be pretty sure we'll lose again, to be honest. I just don't see where our threat is going to come from with the current squad, we need quality recruits or it's going to be a very long, horrible season.

We got beat of Man Ure waahooo.. season we got relegated we drew with them.. both games mean/meant fk all.

Lack a bit of confidence, lacked a little bit in our tactics IE Scholes.. its a long fkn season we will have win losses and draws lets not hit panic just yet.

It's worth mentioning that we conceded 3 to derby last season, 4 to west brom and 2 to blackpool and scunthorpe. Our (arguably) hardest away game has gone and we lost 3-0, just after chelsea lost 3-1. We are an average-poor premier league team and these results are going to come. I'd be more worried if we lost 4-0 at home to blackpool. They should really be the ones worrying about their performance. West Ham and West Brom were also very poor