Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

Guest Howaythetoon

He was very good under Hughton and during the 5th placed season, but injuries and lack of professionalism have meant his career here become nothing to write home about. I personally believe he thought a move to Arsenal or someone was going to happen and when it didn't he become disinterested here. I'm not sure whether we ever priced him out of a move either, maybe we did. In general though he will go down as just another player for us you would think.

From Skysports:

It looks as though Chiek Tiote's time on Tyneside is coming to an end. It is our understanding that his £5m move from Newcastle to Chinese club Shanghai Shenhua should be completed in the next 24 hours.

So Skysports claims it's £5m, The Shields Gazette claims it's £4m and all other media claims it's £8m  :lol:

Been a shadow of the player he was in his first year or so with us for a while not, but there is still a part of me sad to see him go. Would liked to have seen how he and Shelvey would have done together, although equally given the existence of Colback chances that that would actually have happened are probably slim.

He was a fantastic DM for us in his first 18 month but really tailed off since. It's a shame really as he could still be doing a great job for us now.

Bet Ashley is livid he didn't sell him 3 years ago and he'll see this as a £15m loss, so we'll probably suffer for this either at the end of this month of (more likely) in the summer by selling Sissoko/Perez/Wij.

How many yellow and red cards did he end up with? Glad to see the back of him, should have shifted him when Chelsea were interested awhile back.

Maybe 2 reds. Stevenage, Sunderland - which was harsh imo. Can't remember another but I wouldnt bet against it. Loads of yellows. Probably in the 50's.

We've had our fair share of yellow card merchants. Parker, Nolan, Barton, Tiote & Bowyer spring to mind.

Sky sports claiming talks have stalled

Talks between Newcastle's Cheick Tiote and Shanghai Shenhua have stalled.

The Ivorian travelled to China on Friday after the two clubs agreed a fee of around £5m.

However, personal terms have proved a stumbling block and it remains to be seen whether the deal on offer will be agreed by the midfielder.