Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

http://www.espnfc.com/newcastle-united/story/3139116/alan-pardew-devastated-by-cheick-tiote-death-i-loved-him

Sincere words from Pardew

Former Newcastle manager Alan Pardew issued a heartfelt message of sympathy following the death of his former player Cheick Tiote on Monday.

The Ivory Coast international died at the age of 30 after collapsing during training with his club Beijing Enterprises on Monday, and the coach who worked with Tiote throughout his four-year stint as Newcastle manager offering these words of shock following the news.

"I'm devastated to hear the news about my former player and friend Cheick Tiote," Pardew said. "From the moment I arrived at Newcastle, Cheick was a wonderful presence around the dressing room and his performances on the field often defied belief.

"There were days when he must have covered every blade of grass on a football field and it didn't surprise me that clubs like Manchester United were being linked with attempts to sign him.

"None of us will ever forget that incredible day when our Newcastle team came from 4-0 down to draw an unbelievable Premier League game against Arsenal, with Cheick's incredible goal in the final moments of that game one of the iconic moments in Premier League history.

"I loved him. He was everything that you want in a Newcastle player. He had the quality, and of course you'll never underestimate the fact that he wants to win.

"I just loved that he was a winner. It can overcome so many obstacles as a footballer. Young players could take a big leaf out of his book in terms of how he approaches training and games and he was a special young man.

"To hear the news that he has passed away at the age of 30 breaks my heart and my sympathies go out to all his family and friends who will be devastated by this news.

"Life if not fair sometime and I will remember Cheick Tiote as a giant of a midfielder who I loved to managed. Rest in peace my friend."

Stunned.

Remember his performance in the 1-0 win v Arsenal where Carroll scored, Can't remember ever being that excited by a central midfielder, made Fabregas look like a fool all game. Really thought we had something special on our hands then.

And then of course theres that goal. those celebrations, hard to think of a goal I've celebrated more than that.

fuckin' hell. RIP.

my kids and their mates never really got to see him play in the flesh but he was already a legend to them.

the number of times they've watched that 4-4 on youtube over the past couple of years.

Whilst of course not the right time to speculate, but I cant stop wondering if whatever the cause of this was had anything to do with why he failed medicals before leaving us.

I just find it incredibly hard to accept that someone of his age and fitness and just collapse and die whilst at work.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/long-qt-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/cardiomyopathy/hypertrophic-cardiomyopathy

Not saying it is these but here are 2 examples that are very much possible.

Whilst of course not the right time to speculate, but I cant stop wondering if whatever the cause of this was had anything to do with why he failed medicals before leaving us.

I just find it incredibly hard to accept that someone of his age and fitness and just collapse and die whilst at work.

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/long-qt-syndrome/Pages/Introduction.aspx

https://www.bhf.org.uk/heart-health/conditions/cardiomyopathy/hypertrophic-cardiomyopathy

Not saying it is these but here are 2 examples that are very much possible.

Sudden heart failure among athletes is not entirely uncommon

Tremendous, steely hard man in his prime. If there was ever an opponent I hated so much, I wished this fella would just be unleashed on them. 30 is my age so I can't even begin to imagine how his family is accepting this right now.

Seeing that this is the Islamic holy month of Ramadhan, and he is a Muslim, passing away in this month is regarded as a blessing. Obviohsly, its still tragic but bless him and may he find peace. :sad:

Even though it wasn't for the right reasons one of my favourite Tiote memories was the game at home against Norwich when he came on (Cisse penalty miss iirc) and ran around like a bull in a China shop, made terrible tackles and was just comedic, but I loved it. [emoji38]

Nice words from Pardew, it was obvious from that video at the training ground a few years ago that they got on well.

Pretty sure Pardew said a few weeks ago the two best players he managed was Dean Ashton and Tiote

Absolutely gutted to hear this. Poor lad. And poor family. RIP.

On his day (those first two seasons with us) he was one hell of a player. One of the best in his position.

Such a shame.

He was great until a former manager tried to turn him onto something he wasn't.

Even though it wasn't for the right reasons one of my favourite Tiote memories was the game at home against Norwich when he came on (Cisse penalty miss iirc) and ran around like a bull in a China shop, made terrible tackles and was just comedic, but I loved it. [emoji38]

He was a really ballsy player. Always made a major impact in every game he played, always wanted to take responsibility, sometimes to our and his detriment but he just loved being in the thick of the action. A warrior

RIP awful news. Was at Goodison for his debut when in the warm up he couldn't pass the ball 5 yards and then had a blinder, the Arsenal goal of course and I was right in line behind that cracker against City; what a hit that was.

No age to go.