Cheick Tioté (1986-2017)

madras

What the fuck, just saw this. Devastating. Rest in peace, Cheick.

I'll always remember those patented Tiote thunderbastards from 30 yards out. Guy was a lunatic on the pitch.

Hard to get excited about any impending transfer news or other posts on the board. This is just so sad.

In my life time, possibly never have we had the type of player Tiote was. He was the beastly, destroyer DM people had been wanting for years and since. He was an absolute tank, physically imposing and at the top of his game right up there with the club and premier league greats at DM with a different set of abilities that make him stand out.

Will never forget the memories from the Arsenal game, his no nonsense play and his occasional banshee shreiks trying to win a free-kick. A great character.

It's was our pleasure Cheik.

Even though it wasn't for the right reasons one of my favourite Tiote memories was the game at home against Norwich when he came on (Cisse penalty miss iirc) and ran around like a bull in a China shop, made terrible tackles and was just comedic, but I loved it. [emoji38]

:lol:  That's more the Tiote I can remember than the absolute beast on his good days tbh, and I'm fine with it.  Loved him around the 2011-12 season, my favourite player at the time. 

..and of course can't forget all the comedic (looking back, enraging at the time) SHOOOOOOOOOOOT moments when he actually did what was asked and blasted it into row z from 45 yards

Pavel was a big hero of my childhood and Tiote is one from my adult age. Both gone far too soon and in very tragic circumstances. Absolutely gutted. The thing is, he was still playing in our colours at SJP this oast January. Makes it hard to take in.

Didn't he play well in our final few games last season? Was it the Spurs game or before that in which he looked in the mood for it again?

Absolutely gutted to hear this. Poor lad. And poor family. RIP.

On his day (those first two seasons with us) he was one hell of a player. One of the best in his position.

Such a shame.

He was great until a former manager tried to turn him onto something he wasn't.

Aye, don't want this to be a Pardew bashing thread but he really ruined him for us. :(

It's somewhat beautiful that THAT goal was the only one he ever scored. Club legend for that.

Pavel was a big hero of my childhood and Tiote is one from my adult age. Both gone far too soon and in very tragic circumstances. Absolutely gutted. The thing is, he was still playing in our colours at SJP this oast January. Makes it hard to take in.

Didn't he play well in our final few games last season? Was it the Spurs game or before that in which he looked in the mood for it again?

Aye him coming back into the side last season coincided with our good run

Even though it wasn't for the right reasons one of my favourite Tiote memories was the game at home against Norwich when he came on (Cisse penalty miss iirc) and ran around like a bull in a China shop, made terrible tackles and was just comedic, but I loved it. [emoji38]

That was class. :lol:

Was watching the Sky tribute highlights earlier and players bouncing off him while he did them spins and pull backs...brought tears to my eyes. Really loved what he brought to our midfield on his good days. Proper Newcastle player despite his flaws.

That was class. :lol:

Reminds me of Jonas almost instantly getting a yellow card for a terrible tackle in his first game back for us :lol:

Nice words from Pardew, it was obvious from that video at the training ground a few years ago that they got on well.

Pretty sure Pardew said a few weeks ago the two best players he managed was Dean Ashton and Tiote

Yeah Pards loved him, there seemed a proper bond between them.