Newcastle United 6 - 0 Aston Villa - 22/08/10 - post match reaction from page 36

Dave

We had the match live here on Foxsports(and at a convenient time too - 8.30 pm here)so I was able to see the whole game as it happened.

The day reminded me a bit of the Leicester match in 1993 when we won 7-1..even the No 9 got a hat-trick..

I was delighted for the fans who deserved such an unexpected treat after being out of the Prem and being fed a diet of rubbish prior to that. These days don't come round very often, so I hope everyone enjoyed it.

For me, the biggest surprise of the day - apart from Villa's almost total surrender following their pen miss

and Young's disallowed goal - was the all-round play of Andy Carroll. I have always felt that the lad had great potential but his movement off the ball was previously cumbersome ; not so today. He was, by a distance, man of the match and the Villa defence just could not cope with him. Admittedly, they made a big

mistake by putting Clarke on him and the lad was simply lost, but Carroll gave a fine example of CF play, even dropping deep to set up attacks..his passing was excellent. He took his goals very well, no wild shooting, almost passed the 3rd into the net at the end and, of course, his awesome leap in the box to set up Nolan for the team's second which effectively killed the match.

Williamson was steady and his tackle on Young in the box during the second half was timed to perfection.

I have concerns over his pace(as with Coloccini)when facing the best PL strikers, but his reading of the game is good. Enrique was mostly his usual self but the defence was caught out by Young's run into the box for their pen. Great tackling in midfield by Smith & Barton(what a strike for the first !)and good running at their defence by Routledge but he spoils it by taking on too many defenders at a time. Jonas worked hard & caused them trouble all afternoon and Perch did better than I expected.

Having given the side due credit for an excellent performance, we have to face the fact that Villa were dire.

They were unlucky in that Carew made a mess of the pen and that Young's goal soon afterwards was ruled out, but there seemed to be no spirit in the side...a bit like NUFC in parts of the relegation season.

Young was their best player, can't see him being there for long if this goes on and they were, of course, without some key players incl Agbonlahor, but their fans must have been shocked at the surrender...not that they deserve any sympathy after their gloating over our demise at the end of 2008/9. Totally out-muscled in midfield.

I thought Babatunde's dismissal of Carroll's performance was way out of line - to say that his performance was better than the player he is seems to me to be a contradiction in terms. Carroll is only 21 and as I said some months back, some players do not mature until at least that age and he HAS improved.

He will have far more difficult games this season than he had yesterday, but against Man U he was still

dangerous, even without support so I hope he continues to improve.  Unfortunately, if he continues to play as he did and gets his share of goals, he will be No 1 target by most of the big clubs because you just don't find CFs like him these days - the commentator said his performance reminded him of Drogba although that was a bit over the top just yet - and Carroll is English too. We would have a hard job keeping him in that event.

Not getting carried away by this result as I didn't by the Man U defeat...we will still struggle away from SJP

and I would take a point at Wolves right now because they will be a tough proposition at Molyneaux.

Nevertheless, a great day which nobody would have dreamt of happening before KO...well done to all at the club !

good summary Merlin, are you in Perth?

I watched the game in an Irish bar in Sydney, surrounded by a load of Irish Villa fans (!?)

After the forth one of the lairy ones started shouting that he was going to stab someone in the head :lol:

Cracking game.

Guest firetotheworks

I've just watched it again, and it's still as impressive. We'll undoubtedly hype this match up on here, but so fuck. Villa weren't as bad as we were good. 

Don't forget, this puts our goal difference nicely back in the positive too, which could end up being worth an extra point at the end of the season - could be the difference between Champions League and Europa :bluestar:

Got fortunate with the penalty miss BUT after that we well and truly destroyed them - according to the stats they had 1 shot on target BUT I cant remember it

We were excellent - I didnt think our midfield would be up to much BUT I was gladly proven wrong, the whole team was brilliant - I guess thats usually the case after such a big, comprehensive win

It was a great atmosphere and it was nice to get our "revenge" after the Villa fans laughed at our relegation

Also Robbie Savage you are a girly haired  :duff:

I was impressed with Carrols composure today, after missing that header against Man Utd, he got back on his feet and scored every chance he had basically.

Although they were easy to put away the third goal which he just placed it in showed he has matured, I wouldve expected him to hit it with power.

One thing he cant improve though, is his technique with the feet, cause he wins every single header, but sometimes is to slow with the ball on his feet, maybe try and lay it off with a one touch sometimes.

Perch has for me received way to many praise, he was decent, but nothing special and Im still not convinced he will cut it in this league. He can't cross the ball and he looks very shaky on the ball. Defensively he's ok I guess, but he needs to develop a better offensive play although he does move up the field very well.

Really impressed with Bartons calmness and the left flank yesterday.

Great win, lets carry the momentum going!

A wonderful TEAM performance. Thats what I love about this Newcastle United - no superstars - no one bigger than anyone else - just a team of totally commited players standing up for each other.

While some of them were always Premiership standard - some we were'nt sure about and although one swallow doesn't make a summer three players I liked but had doubts about, Williamson,Barton and Carroll went a long way towards eliminating any concerns yesterday.

Hughton will keep their feet on the ground I'm sure, but this team can get better and with sensible investment will get better.

A wonderful TEAM performance. Thats what I love about this Newcastle United - no superstars - no one bigger than anyone else - just a team of totally commited players standing up for each other.While some of them were always Premiership standard - some we were'nt sure about and although one swallow doesn't make a summer three players I liked but had doubts about, Williamson,Barton and Carroll went a long way towards eliminating any concerns yesterday.

Hughton will keep their feet on the ground I'm sure, but this team can get better and with sensible investment will get better.

It's lovely to see for once. The team spirit is definitley there for the first time since Bobby's lot and KK's Mk1.

While i remember, at the first open training session back in July 2008, Bez (who was the host on the mic) was talking to KK during the session, and KK said 'listen Bez, what can you hear?'

Bez replied 'well nothing'. KK then was saying exactly, this team has no banter, they never talk they just train mostly in silence. Bez agreed, and they were discussing how that banter and friendship helped massively towards promotion and finishing 3rd in the first season.

I'm not saying for one second we're going to get anywhere near that, but it does seem that it helps, so far.

Really enjoying the team spirit atm  :clap2:

A wonderful TEAM performance. Thats what I love about this Newcastle United - no superstars - no one bigger than anyone else - just a team of totally commited players standing up for each other.While some of them were always Premiership standard - some we were'nt sure about and although one swallow doesn't make a summer three players I liked but had doubts about, Williamson,Barton and Carroll went a long way towards eliminating any concerns yesterday.

It's lovely to see for once. The team spirit is definitley there for the first time since Bobby's lot and KK's Mk1.

While i remember, at the first open training session back in July 2008, Bez (who was the host on the mic) was talking to KK during the session, and KK said 'listen Bez, what can you hear?'

Bez replied 'well nothing'. KK then was saying exactly, this team has no banter, they never talk they just train mostly in silence. Bez agreed, and they were discussing how that banter and friendship helped massively towards promotion and finishing 3rd in the first season.

I'm not saying for one second we're going to get anywhere near that, but it does seem that it helps, so far.

Really enjoying the team spirit atm  :clap2:

Bez has just been on Talksport talking about the visible team spirit in the current team. Pointing out that Nolan and Smith are a big part of that.

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

I think Barton and Smith gave good performances yesterday, Barton more so but Smith was also quite important and some don't want to admit this. Compared to what I expected of Smith, he gave in a good show and worked well to dominate the midfield proceedings with Barton-

You would think that Waddle (on ESPN), having played for us would be at least sympathetic to the cause, not a bit of it. He slagged off Routledge most of all, praised Villa to the skies (before they completely collapsed) and unbelievingly when we were 2 up he said, "well I know Newcastle are leading 2-0 but to me Villa are the winners so far." This must count as the most utterly ridiculous statement ever made in a commentary surely.  :dowie:

Dissapointing turnout only 43k. We can't be having the singing section not sold out so this policy of not being able to buy tickets on the day for it has to change. The club have made some shocking ticketing decisions lately what with the pitiful away allocations and now this.

Dissapointing turnout only 43k. We can't be having the singing section not sold out so this policy of not being able to buy tickets on the day for it has to change. The club have made some shocking ticketing decisions lately what with the pitiful away allocations and now this.

what's that about?

Aye, they got to open it up for paying on the day....I actualy enjoyed doing it last season.

You would think that Waddle (on ESPN), having played for us would be at least sympathetic to the cause, not a bit of it. He slagged off Routledge most of all, praised Villa to the skies (before they completely collapsed) and unbelievingly when we were 2 up he said, "well I know Newcastle are leading 2-0 but to me Villa are the winners so far." This must count as the most utterly ridiculous statement ever made in a commentary surely.  :dowie:

He's a daft Mackem.

Guest neesy111

He's a daft Mackem.

should be given a straight jacket after that statement (to waddle that is)

Christ, and he gets paid as a pundit as well.

Robbie savage last night on MOTD2, admitting that he has us down for relegation based of the man u match.  Fcking hell, most teams are going to get egged at old trafford.

Also about Mark Hughes at Fulham, something along the lines "if he does well, then yeah  but if it doesn't go well, then "

WTF

Guest johnson293

He's a daft Mackem.

should be given a straight jacket after that statement (to waddle that is)

The main commentator wasn't much better. Just watched it again, literally just after Nolan scored our 2nd, he talks about "despite their (NUFC) fragility at the back..."

It seems (some) people/media will always think we have a **** defence, no matter how well they are playing.

Guest firetotheworks

'If they play like they did second half, then he'll (Mark Hughes) do well. If they play like they did in the first half, then I don't think he'll do well.'

Stating the obvious, in a pointlessly elaborate way. Reminds me a lot of him really. Basic ability dressed up like a superstar.