Kevin Nolan

Taylor Swift

Kev was just being buttered up to ensure he kept performing for the team.

Once staying up was guaranteed they showed him what his true worth was in the contract offer.

Pretty shady behaviour, yes. However, at the end of the day, Nolan didn't deserve a contract better than that.

Isn't this the usual trap - the account of an Ashley critic being treated as gospel while the viewpoint of the regime is treated with total scepticism?

The noises coming out from Nolan at the time were that they were close to an agreement but hadn't reached one. I don't buy this account which implies that they'd agreed the deal verbally but decided to wait a few months before putting pen to paper.

It sounds similar to the Barton situation. Nolan was offered a deal but decided he could hold out for something even better. Then when negotiations start again he finds the same offer isn't on the table. Well tough. They're running a business, a lot of money is at stake and the worth of a player isn't static. Nolan over-played his hand.

I think that, as with Barton, Ashley either got annoyed with the way they were going round these talk-ins, acting like they ran the dressing room, or that he realised, with the players that were being brought in, that keeping Nolan wasn't that important.

Guest hobshobs

Believe it or not, there is middle ground between giving him 5 years, and being a c***, lying to him and then offering him 12 months :lol:

This.

He lied to us plenty times as well. Before Stevenage in the cup he told us they had to go there, be professional and focussed, give 100% commitment and class would get them through the day. Failed miserably on all counts and his own attitude that day was woeful.

Knives coming out for Nolan now then eh? Unbelievable. :thdn:

Hardly. Everyone knows Ashley and Llambias are shits for reneging on previously agreed terms, people are just pointing out that Nolan wasn't worthy of a 5-year contract. As someone said earlier, Nolan should never have to buy a drink in Newcastle for as long as he lives, he's done a great deal for our club - but he only really had this season coming where he'd realistically be near the team.

If the intention wasn't to give Nolan five years then they never should have shook his hand about it, and for that Ashley and Llambias are rightly being derided. However, that doesn't make Nolan suddenly a better player in retrospect. One of the best captains we've ever had, but he was already on borrowed time.

:lol:

Still waiting on that list of 'Ashley apologists' btw. I'll assume you can't recall any.

Next time you see a quote that suggests blind loyalty to the regime I'd appreciate it if you sent it to me in a PM, surely I won't be waiting long if the unrelenting support of Ashley and Llambias is so widespread.

Guest johnson293

Isn't this the usual trap - the account of an Ashley critic being treated as gospel while the viewpoint of the regime is treated with total scepticism?

The noises coming out from Nolan at the time were that they were close to an agreement but hadn't reached one. I don't buy this account which implies that they'd agreed the deal verbally but decided to wait a few months before putting pen to paper.

It sounds similar to the Barton situation. Nolan was offered a deal but decided he could hold out for something even better. Then when negotiations start again he finds the same offer isn't on the table. Well tough. They're running a business, a lot of money is at stake and the worth of a player isn't static. Nolan over-played his hand.

I think that, as with Barton, Ashley either got annoyed with the way they were going round these talk-ins, acting like they ran the dressing room, or that he realised, with the players that were being brought in, that keeping Nolan wasn't that important.

:thup:

Guest hobshobs

"I was forced out because I lost trust in key people"

That's one way of putting it I guess or could it be that money was the be all and end all.

The fact that no other Premiership club was even remotely interested says everything.

Also heard from a reliable source that the coach driver is a bloody good laugh, great motivator and acts as a spokesman for the rest of the team. So let's get him on a five year deal, make him captain..................

Still waiting on that list of 'Ashley apologists' btw. I'll assume you can't recall any.

Next time you see a quote that suggests blind loyalty to the regime I'd appreciate it if you sent it to me in a PM, surely I won't be waiting long if the unrelenting support of Ashley and Llambias is so widespread.

Anything Baggio posts for a kick off.

Guest guinness_fiend

I've always just assumed he was a complete WUM.

Ian W technically, in as far as he'll try very hard to find a 'rational', 'nice' explanation on every single occasion something indefensible takes place, and then try to believe it in the name of optimism.

OzzieMandias

bobshed

johnson293 apparently?

I'm sure there are some others... there have been some recent converts, though. oldtype, for example. Stu's going through a bit of a crisis in faith last time I checked too.

Further to this, I want to state the point that just because someone couches all their beliefs in pseudo-analytical terms - offering plenty of ifs, buts and ever-shifting conditions - it doesn't mean these aren't just attempts to camouflage a desire to blindly back one side over another, consciously or otherwise - so a lack of posts declaring a never ending loyalty to Llambias is irrelevant. The fact is plenty of people have changed their positions at some time or other over this issue, but a certain - increasingly exposed - hardcore don't and show no sign of doing so. And yes, 'this is just an unproveable statement that counts just as much for the Ashley haters'. Boo hoo. Pretending you believe and argue for nothing until/unless its 'proven' is intellectually cowardly and/or disingenuous.

FFS, I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'm not and never was pro-Ashley. Just anti-stupidity.

You see, unlike some people I don't think it's mandatory to choose "pro-Ashley" or "anti-Ashley" and always blindly take that side.

I'm allowed to have different opinions on different issues thank you very much.

Ian W technically, in as far as he'll try very hard to find a 'rational', 'nice' explanation on every single occasion something indefensible takes place, and then try to believe it in the name of optimism.

OzzieMandias

bobshed

johnson293 apparently?

I'm sure there are some others... there have been some recent converts, though. oldtype, for example. Stu's going through a bit of a crisis in faith last time I checked too.

Further to this, I want to state the point that just because someone couches all their beliefs in pseudo-analytical terms - offering plenty of ifs, buts and ever-shifting conditions - it doesn't mean these aren't just attempts to camouflage a desire to blindly back one side over another, consciously or otherwise - so a lack of posts declaring a never ending loyalty to Llambias is irrelevant. The fact is plenty of people have changed their positions at some time or other over this issue, but a certain - increasingly exposed - hardcore don't and show no sign of doing so. And yes, 'this is just an unproveable statement that counts just as much for the Ashley haters'. Boo hoo. Pretending you believe and argue for nothing until/unless its 'proven' is intellectually cowardly and/or disingenuous.

Guest johnson293

OzzieMandias

bobshed

johnson293 apparently?

;D He he, ok... if you say so.   :rolleyes: