Jonás Gutiérrez (now managing Club Almagro)

Crumpy Gunt

No issues at all with keeping him on for a very specific role - coming on as sub when winning to relieve pressure in central midfield by hassling and harrying and winning freekicks. In-game management and nowt else. May be useful cover for freak injury/suspension situations, but I don't think overall his wages would justify it. Needs to be under an actual football manager though.

Having said that, in terms of how we treated him during his ordeal, I wouldn't begrudge him a 2 year contract extension from a "human" point of view.

I would absolutely LOVE for him to somehow score before the end of the season. I would genuinely celebrate my ass off like we've won something. What a big FUCK YOU that would be to a horrible disease.

People forgetting how bad our squad is again.

And the fact there's a reason Jonas has 6 goals in about 150 Premier League games. When it comes to kicking a football he's not very good.

Saw his missus in the paper for the first time yesterday - done well for himself!

I reckon any of us on here could do well for ourselves with 2 million a year (minimum) salaries... If that failed to attract them you could go out and pay for it to your hearts content :)

Back on the Jonas topic, his only position should be a back up one for left back or centre midfield at moment. great bloke but lost his legs a couple fo years back.

I would keep him as a squad player under a manager who knows that's his role.

I wouldn't. These squad players keep ending up starting games for us so I would rather get rid. Paul Dummett is considered a clogger by most people's standards but he can cross a ball better than Jonas.

He's not a winger really. We've had better players in CM so it knocked that on the head really. If ran properly he'd be a great squad player as the other positions would be adequately filled. As it is, the likes of Jonas are ever present and ineffectual.

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.shieldsgazette.com/sport/football/newcastle-united/jonas-gutierrez-players-to-blame-for-newcastle-mess-not-john-carver-1-7275410

Jonas Gutierrez says the players must take responsibility for Newcastle United’s plight – and fight to the last whistle to keep the club in the Premier League.

Gutierrez and his team-mates take on West Ham United tomorrow knowing only a win would guarantee top-flight survival.

John (Carver) gives us the education to get the points. Then, on the pitch, we have to take responsibility for what is going on. Now we have to be together.

Jonas Gutierrez

Newcastle, however, have taken just one point from a possible 30.

And last weekend’s 2-1 defeat to relegated Queens Park Rangers at Loftus Road, and Sunderland’s midweek draw at Arsenal, seemingly edged the club closer to the relegation trapdoor.

Head coach John Carver has come under fire from angry fans given the injury and suspension-hit team’s sorry record in recent months.

But Gutierrez – who experienced the pain of relegation with United in 2009 – says Carver can only do so much on the training field.

And he insists the responsibility for results, ultimately, lies at the door of the players.

“We are the players on the pitch – we try to do the best,” said Gutierrez.

“John gives us the education to get the points. Then, on the pitch, we have to take responsibility for what is going on. Now we have to be together.”

Carver, speaking ahead of the West Ham game, implored the club’s supporters to put their differences with him and owner Mike Ashley to one side for 90 minutes at St James’s Park.

He said there would be an “inquest” into this season’s failings once the last ball has been kicked.

However, Gutierrez – who made an inspirational return to the field earlier this year after being given the all-clear following treatment for testicular cancer in his native Argentina, says now is NOT the time to apportion blame.

“I don’t like to think who is at fault,” he said.

“We are the players that are on the pitch, and we have to think what we’re doing wrong and to change it.

“We have just one week, and we have to be focused.”

No issues at all with keeping him on for a very specific role - coming on as sub when winning to relieve pressure in central midfield by hassling and harrying and winning freekicks. In-game management and nowt else. May be useful cover for freak injury/suspension situations, but I don't think overall his wages would justify it. Needs to be under an actual football manager though.

Having said that, in terms of how we treated him during his ordeal, I wouldn't begrudge him a 2 year contract extension from a "human" point of view.

I would absolutely LOVE for him to somehow score before the end of the season. I would genuinely celebrate my ass off like we've won something. What a big f*** YOU that would be to a horrible disease.

:indi: :indi: :indi:

Guest firetotheworks

His come back and that goal along with Pardew leaving were easily the highlights of the season. Lovely bloke, once a very useful player, always a grafter in a way that isn't just to curry favour with the mongs in our support, brilliant today. Hero.