Shane Ferguson joins Millwall on a permanent deal

Pilko

He was on the bench for all of the final 9 games of last season and Pardew put him on 5 times.

If it was a choice between him and Taylor at left back I think Shane would get the nod now, unlike this time a year ago.

Out of that group of Sammy, Vuckic, Abeid, and Ferguson, he seems to be the closest, though Pardew does seem to like Sammy as well.

He was on the bench for all of the final 9 games of last season and Pardew put him on 5 times.

If it was a choice between him and Taylor at left back I think Shane would get the nod now, unlike this time a year ago.

Out of that group of Sammy, Vuckic, Abeid, and Ferguson, he seems to be the closest, though Pardew does seem to like Sammy as well.

:thup:

Just back from the game.

What a terrific finish from wor Shane  :frantic: really smacked it clean too, great finish.

General play was more than patchy if I'm being fair, really looked to me like a guy that has missed pre-season (which he has) as his movement off the ball was poor and laboured for large parts and any runs that he did make mostly fizzled out with being outpaced or muscled of the ball.

That being said, I wasn't expecting too much from him as he hasn't has much game time due to his injury.

Still think he's going to have a great career, just has something about him.

As an aside, one of our regulars couldn't make it tonight so was replaced by another guys brother, Newcastle fan  :smug:

Then I get talking to a guy behind me (who has been there for the last eight years) about Fergie's goal (I was going mental  :lol:) turns out he's a big Newcastle fan too.  :snod:

Class

Really think he could make it if given the chance, has looked equally solid/exciting/hard working every time I have seen him.

Quick, skillfull, will work his arse off and isn't afraid of anyone.

Definitely potential there.

Really think he could make it if given the chance, has looked equally solid/exciting/hard working every time I have seen him.

One good thing about a perceived lack of squad depth is that it gives the youngsters the chance to shine (or more accurately, to develop into fully fledged Premiership standard footballers) when a few first teamers are injured. I think it's often all too easy to moan about a lack of squad depth and overlook a supposedly limited youngster as a backup option, forgetting that sometimes an average youngster doing nothing noteworthy in the reserves can turn into a good player if put into the right team at the right time for a long enough period. Carroll (post relegation exodus + nil spending during the summer of 2009), Krul (departure of Given + lengthy injury to Harper), N'Zogbia (ousting of Robert + no replacement), S.Taylor (injuries to first team fullbacks + centrebacks iirc) are prime examples of players developing at a very fast rate primarily due to being thrown in at the deep end, as opposed to developing slowly and only being used regularly once they were "ready".

He's never looked out of his depth in the first team. He's the only one of the young lads you can say that about.

Aye, it's pretty rare that an academy graduate comes through and always performs consistently. He deserves a lot of playing time as long as he can stay fit

One good thing about a perceived lack of squad depth is that it gives the youngsters the chance to shine (or more accurately, to develop into fully fledged Premiership standard footballers) when a few first teamers are injured. I think it's often all too easy to moan about a lack of squad depth and overlook a supposedly limited youngster as a backup option, forgetting that sometimes an average youngster doing nothing noteworthy in the reserves can turn into a good player if put into the right team at the right time for a long enough period. Carroll (post relegation exodus + nil spending during the summer of 2009), Krul (departure of Given + lengthy injury to Harper), N'Zogbia (ousting of Robert + no replacement), S.Taylor (injuries to first team fullbacks + centrebacks iirc) are prime examples of players developing at a very fast rate primarily due to being thrown in at the deep end, as opposed to developing slowly and only being used regularly once they were "ready".

Yeah, good point. Pitching in youngsters can be frustrating when they struggle, but we have to bear in mind that it's all part of the process of improving in the long-term.

Sammy and Shane are raw but can cope with the first team. Pardew should look for opportunities to play them.

I'm intrigued to see this Campbell lad. He could also come into the same category.

This may come back to haunt me, but I don't think Tavernier will make the grade at this level. Not as a defender.

I'd like to see him out on loan for a bit this season before that, he'll not be up to speed otherwise - training/playing for the stiffs is a poor substitute for first team football.

Good post. My worry is we might not have such a player at centre back or up front ready to step in if needed. Know nothing about Good, but centre back is an area that generally favours experience. Saylor started off at right back. And Campbell is probably too young for this season.

We have enough youngsters on the fringe now who are all a year older so hopefully a couple can seize their chance this season. I still think we need a forward and a defender in though.

Despite frustration in the transfer market for our main targets we have some pretty strong depth in midfield. Fergie is certainly a great part of that. Think it is more than possible he will be loaned out though...might be wise to wait until January though to see how the squad is coping.

He needs games to improve but it will be particularly hard to get past Gutierrez, Marveaux and possibly Obertan, Ben Arfa and Amalfitano.

Judging by Wednesday night, he just need game time under his belt.

Think there is a fair chance he's play games this campaign (if) we progress into Europe proper.

Still, a January loan deal might not be the worse outcome either.

Really have high hopes for this kid.

Plus as an NI fan seeing him in the black and white shirt is  :sweetjesus: but I have to put his best footballing interests first I guess.