Manchester City

OzzieMandias

All true, but at least Man United make extraordinary amounts of money. Probably the most supported club in the world.

Definitely the most supported club in the world, but then they do have incredible debt repayments to meet...

those debts are nothing the club itself incured though just the owners using the clubs money to buy it (which really should be against some law)

All true, but at least Man United make extraordinary amounts of money. Probably the most supported club in the world.

Definitely the most supported club in the world, but then they do have incredible debt repayments to meet...

those debts are nothing the club itself incured though just the owners using the clubs money to buy it (which really should be against some law)

I know, but I think if the owners hadn't bought them, I don't think they'd have as many supporters as they do now...

I'm sure after a bit of time at the top Man City will be very well supported as well.

Not so sure about that.  They'll gather their share of the arrivistes. 

But Manchester City just aren't as sexy a concept as Chelsea were went they did the same thing a few years back. Speaking from a purely Yank perspective. Maybe its the London bias, but I can't see American glory-hunters going for Man City in the same numbers as they fell for the "big four".  (That is, unless, they really go over the top and dominate the Premier League for two or three seasons... )

I'm sure after a bit of time at the top Man City will be very well supported as well.

But Manchester City just aren't as sexy a concept as Chelsea were went they did the same thing a few years back. Speaking from a purely Yank perspective. Maybe its the London bias, but I can't see American glory-hunters going for Man City in the same numbers as they fell for the "big four".  (That is, unless, they really go over the top and dominate the Premier League for two or three seasons... )

They've got some really good players though, can see a lot of people latching on to them because of the likes of Silva, Ballotelli, Aguero, Nasri.

Aye.

It's annoying that, unlike Chelsea who were a team full of cunts and were easy to hate when they got money, Man City for the most part have a team full of likeable players who I enjoy watching.

I'm getting that way as well.  Silva's everything you want to watch as a neutral, Ballotelli's fucking hilarious, etc.  I burst out laughing at that T-Shirt yesterday.

I'm not certain that the likability of the players has a lot to do with it.  Are Man Utd's players likable? Personally, I think they're a bunch of ****s

Certainly, the change we've seen this season with them playing attacking football and scoring loads of goals is going to help.

Man United have never spent anything like the way the likes of Chelsea and Man City have in recent years.

They've spent big money on individual players yes, but generally they've built their team gradually over the years while City and Chelsea have just gone out and built whole new teams over the space of about a year or two.

Also, I think if you're winning the league every year, selling out an 80,000 seater stadium every second week and playing in the Champions League year after year you're entitled to spend a bit of the money you pull in on the occasional big money purchase.

Nowhere near comparable situations tbh.

Even more than that, Man U are actually the victims of their own success. While Man City are now sitting at the top of the table by virtue of nothing more than simply being there when a multi-billionaire oil sheik came along, Man U have been saddled with humungous debt in a leveraged buy-out.

I know, but I think if the owners hadn't bought them, I don't think they'd have as many supporters as they do now...

Give over. The Glazers have been nothing but a millstone around their neck. That they've been able to service that debt and still fund the side is astounding, especially considering the financial situation of most other top-division sides, home and abroad. The only comparable club in financial terms I can think of is Bayern.

Man United fans now going on about money ruining football.  Didn't seem to ruin it for them when they were winning the title by completely outspending everyone else in the league with transfers like £30m for Ferdinand.

Poor things. Won't somebody think of the global brand? Selling replica shirts, bog seats and other tat to Asians is what football is all about. I don't see any more romance in the corporate PLC model Man U pioneered than the billionaire model, and spare me any plea for sympathy over the uncompetitiveness of football when you've enjoyed the un-level playing field for 20 years.

Ferguson broke the transfer record three times before he won the league, he had nine million pound players in 1993, and he didn't have to sell anybody - nobody else had more than 5. Their average spent per player was higher than 3rd placed Norwich's record signing, the gap in resources was about as big as between us and Man City. Then they went and broke the record again by signing Keane for £3.75m.

In the last 30 years the only league winners who could probably argue they didn't have a huge money advantage over most of the competition are Leeds and Villa, no surprise they both fell apart soon after.

Give over. The Glazers have been nothing but a millstone around their neck. That they've been able to service that debt and still fund the side is astounding, especially considering the financial situation of most other top-division sides, home and abroad. The only comparable club in financial terms I can think of is Bayern.

I'm sure the annual revenue from pre-Glazer to now will show that they are significantly better off in terms of it.

One win of the Premier League title and they'll be all over them.  Attendance and "fan numbers" go hand-in-hand with success as the ranks are swelled with all the band-waggoners. Exception's are noted when the fans/attendance are not in proportion to the success.

I can almost feel the Arsenal and Chelsea fans over here switching their allegiences to City.

Guest VegasToon

Nope, two of my friends are now Man City supporters.  They previously supported West Ham.  People like these guys just piss me off.  I don't understand how how easy it is for some people to switch teams.  :tickedoff:

Nope, two of my friends are now Man City supporters.  They previously supported West Ham.  People like these guys just piss me off.  I don't understand how how easy it is for some people to switch teams.  :tickedoff:

You need to tell your friends just how enjoyable a season in the Championship with Kevin Nolan can be.  [insert chicken dance here.]

The only thing to like about these lot are David Silva (who I liked before he went to City - class player), Balloteli (as he's mental on the scale of Tino) and Aguero (whos a sensational finisher).

That is all.

Horrible team and support.  Like a charva family who won the lottery.  Just because you have money doesn't make you worthy of things.

All this even though my step sister and nephew support them.

Debt doesn't really matter for a club like Man United. No matter how bad their financial situation gets they'd always be able to find a buyer if they had to.

It will never be an existential threat, but it certainly reduces what they can spend on the squad.

Man United fans now going on about money ruining football.  Didn't seem to ruin it for them when they were winning the title by completely outspending everyone else in the league with transfers like £30m for Ferdinand.

Poor things. Won't somebody think of the global brand? Selling replica shirts, bog seats and other tat to Asians is what football is all about. I don't see any more romance in the corporate PLC model Man U pioneered than the billionaire model, and spare me any plea for sympathy over the uncompetitiveness of football when you've enjoyed the un-level playing field for 20 years.

Ferguson broke the transfer record three times before he won the league, he had nine million pound players in 1993, and he didn't have to sell anybody - nobody else had more than 5. Their average spent per player was higher than 3rd placed Norwich's record signing, the gap in resources was about as big as between us and Man City. Then they went and broke the record again by signing Keane for £3.75m.

In the last 30 years the only league winners who could probably argue they didn't have a huge money advantage over most of the competition are Leeds and Villa, no surprise they both fell apart soon after.

You're right. Fergie's had great success but with a massive sleeping giant, possibly the biggest in all of world sport. They did it just at the right time as well with money about to be concentrated at the top. All that foreign exposure and the CL allowing someone else to come in and nick the league without you losing the gravy train.

The Glazers though are a huge millstone around their neck. It was obvious they needed reinforcements in midfield after the CL final debacle but they got tinkering at the edges (Young) and Fergie started sprouting bollocks about "no value in the market". Why the feck should that matter to them? People don't refer to their ground as the "Theatre of Value for Money". The club is way in the black and could afford Sneijder (sp) or Schweinsteiger or Yaya when he was going easily with their own generated revenue. As things stand, how many of their players would get significant playing time in the Citeh team? Once you get past Rooney, Vidic, and Nani, it gets pretty tricky pretty quickly.

The only thing to like about these lot are David Silva (who I liked before he went to City - class player), Balloteli (as he's mental on the scale of Tino) and Aguero (whos a sensational finisher).

That is all.

Horrible team and support.  Like a charva family who won the lottery.  Just because you have money doesn't make you worthy of things.

All this even though my step sister and nephew support them.

Basically my feelings. So they beat Man Utd? Amazing, they've proven that if you spend hundreds of millions of pounds on world class players your team tends to get better.

Cant stand the money concept but i was laughing my sack off on sunday at the man u fans.

Also, pudits are amazed by man city...well erm when you spend 700 million, thats what gets you.

I can't stand them. Got some fantastic players, but find it hard to feel any kind of respect for them as it is hardly like they have earnt it. Then again, I would be buzzing if it was us. Just lucky getting some mega rich bloke buying your club I suppose. Probably just jealous!