Alan Pardew

JH

IMO what Pards has done well this year:

- Handling of Ben Arfa to get him motivated/fit.

- Dropping Obertan after eventually realising the bloke is turboshit.

- Use of substitutions to close games out.

- Giving Coloccini the captaincy.

- Getting rid of the twats weighing the team down (Nolan, Barton, etc) - though possibly this had nothing to do with him.

- Utilising Jonas in a new CM role.

- Sticking with Krul once Harper was fit again (might be wrong there, can't remember).

- Best use of utility/squad players, i.e. Raylor, Perch, Shola.

- Integrating Cisse into the team so quickly.

- Overall best use of a relatively small and weak/thin squad.

IMO what he hasn't done so well, or needs to work on:

- Sometimes overly negative tactics.

- Initial suspected bias towards his own signings/recommendations (mainly Obertan).

- Poor movement and ball retention.

- Seems to have turned Jonas into a winger who does nothing but defend on the wing.

- Tendancy to tinker with formations, e.g. when this new 4-3-3 system looks tailor made for our players he is still opting for a defensive 4-4-2 at times.

- Some baffling substitutions when we've needed to chase games.

Christ.

you know it ain't easy...

Guest BooBoo

Pardew or Curbishley?

If we're getting one of them I'd rather it was Curbs, who at least had some success at Charlton (look what happened to them when he left and erm... Pardew! took over). Pardew's either failed or shagged his way out of every job he's had.

Pards for me, like.

Carroll, Tiote and Coloccini will keep us up.

I can't wait to see the progession in titles that this thread has.

From first page, may be Giggs can't be bothered to look, but the progression has indeed been interesting to watch  :lol:. Definitely deserves the award, awesome season.

Guest Chubby Jason

I wonder if he's entitled to a bonus off the back of European qualification? I remember Derek rambling on about how he's on a basic salary that is mainly incentive based when he was first appointed.

I wonder if he's entitled to a bonus off the back of European qualification? I remember Derek rambling on about how he's on a basic salary that is mainly incentive based when he was first appointed.

I would imagine so, there was something for finishing top half last year wasn't there? That we fucked up on the last day. :doh:

Guest Chubby Jason

It'd certainly be interesting to see what his basic salary is compared to other PL managers. I'd be surprised if he wasn't one of the lowest-paid in the league.

Alan Pardew is better than Alex Ferguson and will bring more success to us than Fergie brought to Man Utd.

:shifty:

I think that's a bit OTT, but I've also said that Pardew has a chance to be a Fergie-light here and stick around for many years to come.

Alan Pardew is better than Alex Ferguson and will bring more success to us than Fergie brought to Man Utd.

:shifty:

I think that's a bit OTT, but I've also said that Pardew has a chance to be a Fergie-light here and stick around for many years to come.

Aye, being a young chap he could become like a Wenger or Moyes type for us, sticking around for ages while working within the budgetary constraints and hopefully delivering regular European jaunts and perhaps even a cheeky trophy or 2.....

Thoroughly deserved too. It's mental how Hughton was so unfancied and won us all over, well most anyway with his bunch of lads. But Pardew has blown that out of the water, fantastic 18 months for the man with an even better bunch of lads.

Nice to hear.  :)

Santon - Pardew's special too

Newcastle defender hails Pardew as the new Mourinho

Special: Davide Santon claimes Alan Pardew has qualities of Jose Mourinho

Davide Santon has hailed Alan Pardew as Newcastle's answer to Jose Mourinho, after the St James' Park boss was named manager of the year.

The Italian defender, who played under 'The Special One' at Inter Milan, claims the two share similar qualities.

He told the Daily Star: "The manager does remind me of Mourinho. They've got the same mentality and the same will to win.

Similar

"Their meticulous preparations before games are perfect and the way they study tactics are similar.

"The team meetings before every game are just the same as they were at Inter. It's all geared towards winning.

"Alan Pardew is excellent at getting the team spirit just right before games. I've been very impressed with him since I got here."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/7751961/Santon-Pardew-s-special-too

Nice to hear.  :)

Santon - Pardew's special too

Newcastle defender hails Pardew as the new Mourinho

Special: Davide Santon claimes Alan Pardew has qualities of Jose Mourinho

Davide Santon has hailed Alan Pardew as Newcastle's answer to Jose Mourinho, after the St James' Park boss was named manager of the year.

The Italian defender, who played under 'The Special One' at Inter Milan, claims the two share similar qualities.

He told the Daily Star: "The manager does remind me of Mourinho. They've got the same mentality and the same will to win.

Similar

"Their meticulous preparations before games are perfect and the way they study tactics are similar.

"The team meetings before every game are just the same as they were at Inter. It's all geared towards winning.

"Alan Pardew is excellent at getting the team spirit just right before games. I've been very impressed with him since I got here."

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11678/7751961/Santon-Pardew-s-special-too

That's very good to read.

Told the independent some interesting stuff http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/pardew-making-top-four-is-off-the-scale-7737887.html

There has been a difficulty all season in gauging the enormity of Newcastle's achievements. At around quarter-to-five last night it burned brighter into focus when Alan Pardew was voted the Barclays Premier League manager of the season.

His side will finish no lower than fifth, but the real pay-off, one worth around £35m, would be the third-place spot that could be guaranteed if Newcastle win at Everton tomorrow and results involving Arsenal and Tottenham run for them.

The Champions League has flickered into the consciousness of Pardew and his staff only as the campaign has progressed and lost little of its early momentum. "It's off the scale what it could mean," he said. "It's almost as great as getting promotion from the Championship to the Premier League, it's that significant.

"There are some complications about it this year because fourth place isn't guaranteed but third place puts you straight in the group stage, though, and that is massive. That is a big, big jump for any football club. It's something that Everton didn't quite manage to do. David [Moyes] got them into fourth, which was a brilliant effort, but they missed out on the qualification. It means nothing if you don't make it. The figures only come in if you get through to the group stage.

"We had a decent season last year, and we've obviously had a special season this year. The pressure will be on us next year. It is going to be even more challenging. We've got a European campaign, we've got expectation and we might lose a key player so I'm under no illusions that we haven't cracked it, but it's been a great year, and a year we've got to build on. We're looking at various things that are going to improve us.

"I'm trying to get players' minds around the Europa League for next year. This year the policy has been a bit easier for me because we've not had as many midweek games, so therefore if we have great performances, I just pick the same team and maybe change things a bit tactically.

"Next year, we may have to make four or five changes even if we win because I'm going to need to rotate the players. For instance Fab Coloccini is going to have to understand. He wants to play every game. He'll play a lot of them, but he can't play them all. It's a question of managing the players."

This is going to be the big challenge next season, need to keep team ethic working, considering we struggled in the cups with a few changes hope Pards can get this right

Not sure I agree Colo can't play every game, tbh. He's fit as a fiddle and not injury-prone in the least.

Told the independent some interesting stuff http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/pardew-making-top-four-is-off-the-scale-7737887.html

There has been a difficulty all season in gauging the enormity of Newcastle's achievements. At around quarter-to-five last night it burned brighter into focus when Alan Pardew was voted the Barclays Premier League manager of the season.

His side will finish no lower than fifth, but the real pay-off, one worth around £35m, would be the third-place spot that could be guaranteed if Newcastle win at Everton tomorrow and results involving Arsenal and Tottenham run for them.

The Champions League has flickered into the consciousness of Pardew and his staff only as the campaign has progressed and lost little of its early momentum. "It's off the scale what it could mean," he said. "It's almost as great as getting promotion from the Championship to the Premier League, it's that significant.

"There are some complications about it this year because fourth place isn't guaranteed but third place puts you straight in the group stage, though, and that is massive. That is a big, big jump for any football club. It's something that Everton didn't quite manage to do. David [Moyes] got them into fourth, which was a brilliant effort, but they missed out on the qualification. It means nothing if you don't make it. The figures only come in if you get through to the group stage.

"We had a decent season last year, and we've obviously had a special season this year. The pressure will be on us next year. It is going to be even more challenging. We've got a European campaign, we've got expectation and we might lose a key player so I'm under no illusions that we haven't cracked it, but it's been a great year, and a year we've got to build on. We're looking at various things that are going to improve us.

"I'm trying to get players' minds around the Europa League for next year. This year the policy has been a bit easier for me because we've not had as many midweek games, so therefore if we have great performances, I just pick the same team and maybe change things a bit tactically.

"Next year, we may have to make four or five changes even if we win because I'm going to need to rotate the players. For instance Fab Coloccini is going to have to understand. He wants to play every game. He'll play a lot of them, but he can't play them all. It's a question of managing the players."

This is going to be the big challenge next season, need to keep team ethic working, considering we struggled in the cups with a few changes hope Pards can get this right

Not sure I agree Colo can't play every game, tbh. He's fit as a fiddle and not injury-prone in the least.

We're looking at 50+ games if we do well next season. He'll need rested/rotated at some point.

We're looking at 50+ games if we do well next season. He'll need rested/rotated at some point.

Na, he's a man of iron.