Alan Pardew

JH

Here's a question for you. Given that golfmag knew about Pardew's appointment well in advance and said that part of his job was to get costs down etc etc does the signing of Cisse signal a change in attitude from Ashley?

Be interesting to hear his/other people's thoughts on it.

Either that or we didn't fully understand his attitude in the first place.

Here's a question for you. Given that golfmag knew about Pardew's appointment well in advance and said that part of his job was to get costs down etc etc does the signing of Cisse signal a change in attitude from Ashley?

I just think we've made a profit in the latest accounts, so it's been freed up.

I've wondered the exact same thing myself. The Cisse signing could mean a fundamental shift in attitude imho.

Reckon the extra profit was there, he was available for a decent price, so we paid the money in order to accumulate more in the future (through higher league finishes/Europe/television etc.)

Could the decent sponsorship deal with Virgin helped things financially as a whole to the club.

Aye, Pardew has hinted at that. Funnily enough this regime slagged Shepherd to fuck for spending the shirt sponsorship money early. ;)

Could the decent sponsorship deal with Virgin helped things financially as a whole to the club.

Aye, Pardew has hinted at that. Funnily enough this regime slagged Shepherd to fuck for spending the shirt sponsorship money early. ;)

I really hope the Cisse deal didn't happen just because of the Virgin deal.

Pardew did also say that he thought we'd have to wait until the summer to make a move on Cisse but they'd heard that a deal could be worked through last month so they went for it.

Guest neesy111

I really hope the Cisse deal didn't happen just because of the Virgin deal.

Pardew did also say that he thought we'd have to wait until the summer to make a move on Cisse but they'd heard that a deal could be worked through last month so they went for it.

Think the lack of goals between Shola and Best in the last 3-4 months would had forced our hand (I hope).

Today wasn't a game suited to Ben Arfa. If we'd been chasing the game and hadn't used up our substitutes I would have imagined Ben Arfa would have come on. Ben Arfa can create something out of nothing but he also loses the ball quite often. With Aston Villa hitting us on the break with pace it would have been very risky to have Ben Arfa on, especially when his ball retention isn't great.

As for Pardew, keep up the good work!

I was with the benching of Ben Arfa today after his last two games but I really don't understand the "today wasn't a game suited to Ben Arfa" stuff  each time he's not playing (and NUFC wins)  :lol:

Not suited as in if he kept losing the ball it puts a lot of pressure on us when the opposition team are hitting us on the break with pace. If Ben Arfa is running forward the rest of the team will race forward to support. If he loses the ball we're out of position and having to sprint to get back.

I bet Obertan starts on the right next week to go up against Bale. Obertan has the pace and work ethic to chase Bale. I doubt Ben Arfa will be trusted to do that.

I think you're exagerating the amount of ball he loose during a game  :lol:

He had two bad games against Brighton and Blackburn, but otherwise I don't think that you can summarise his football and contribution to the team this year, with the little chances given by Pardew, like that.

After all, Jonas loose the ball a lot in first half  but he kept his place in second half and played better...

It was not a game for him against a (poor) Villa and it will not be a game for him against the Spurs, so when will he play ?  :lol:

Jonas runs all day. If he loses the ball he tends to run after it. I've just noticed your user name so I see it's probably a waste of my time expecting you to admit to anything negative about Ben Arfa's game. I'm a Newcastle United fan rather than a Ben Arfa fan. If Ben Arfa plays well for Newcastle then great, if Newcastle win without Ben Arfa that's fine by me too.

By the way, it's lose not "loose".

Guest hatem garrincha

Today wasn't a game suited to Ben Arfa. If we'd been chasing the game and hadn't used up our substitutes I would have imagined Ben Arfa would have come on. Ben Arfa can create something out of nothing but he also loses the ball quite often. With Aston Villa hitting us on the break with pace it would have been very risky to have Ben Arfa on, especially when his ball retention isn't great.

I was with the benching of Ben Arfa today after his last two games but I really don't understand the "today wasn't a game suited to Ben Arfa" stuff  each time he's not playing (and NUFC wins)  :lol:

Not suited as in if he kept losing the ball it puts a lot of pressure on us when the opposition team are hitting us on the break with pace. If Ben Arfa is running forward the rest of the team will race forward to support. If he loses the ball we're out of position and having to sprint to get back.

I bet Obertan starts on the right next week to go up against Bale. Obertan has the pace and work ethic to chase Bale. I doubt Ben Arfa will be trusted to do that.

He had two bad games against Brighton and Blackburn, but otherwise I don't think that you can summarise his football and contribution to the team this year, with the little chances given by Pardew, like that.

After all, Jonas loose the ball a lot in first half  but he kept his place in second half and played better...

It was not a game for him against a (poor) Villa and it will not be a game for him against the Spurs, so when will he play ?  :lol:

Jonas runs all day. If he loses the ball he tends to run after it. I've just noticed your user name so I see it's probably a waste of my time expecting you to admit to anything negative about Ben Arfa's game. I'm a Newcastle United fan rather than a Ben Arfa fan. If Ben Arfa plays well for Newcastle then great, if Newcastle win without Ben Arfa that's fine by me too.

Ah  :lol:

Okay, Ben Arfa ? He loses the ball. Very good description of the lad.

(Jonas was just an example of a player who loses the ball quiet often but keeps his coach confidence. It's important for a player. he made a better second half. He runs all day, yes, and Ben Arfa is a different player with other qualities)

Ah  :lol:

Okay, Ben Arfa ? He loses the ball. Very good description of the lad.

(Jonas was just an example of a player who loses the ball quiet often but keeps his coach confidence. It's important for a player. he made a better second half. He runs all day, yes, and Ben Arfa is a different player with other qualities)

it was pointed out in the pub post game that we were all amazed how quick jonas put the ball in for cisse's goal instead of fannying on with it . (i'm not one for just lumping the ball in the box but jonas does often have a lack of product)

This season has been very strange. Our spirit is obviously incredible and how motivated all the players are, Pardew deserves enormous credit for this. What I don't understand is how we've managed to get 42 points. I'm sure many will disagree but I don't think our general standard of play deserves that many points. I thought pre-season we could get to 7th-8th with the players we had but I'm amazed that we made it to joint 4th earlier on today, when Cisse scored, it's the happiest I've been as a supporter in years. But like HTT has brought up a few times, we can definitely play much better with the players we have. I still don't feel like there is a forward system to the team whilst I definitely think we have a very detailed defensive system. If getting the defensive system right first is the plan then working on making us a better footballing team then I'm all behind the work that's been done so far. If we could average out our standard of play from every game we've played this season and then apply that average to the rest of the season, I think we'd slip out of the top 7. I recognise that may not make sense but that's my opinion anyway. I guess I'm just trying to say, much like HTT, we can fashion a system out of the players we have where we can really dominate teams and not rely so much on brilliant work from Ba and Cisse. Too many times I've felt that we've not controlled games but come away with points, again, the players and Pardew deserve massive credit but we can push on from here, we really can do something special with the talent in our team.

I don't know what point I'm making here and this is far too long.

Good night

:lol:

I see what you're saying, I don't think we have always played brilliantly, especially not going forward. But then again we've been missing most of our best players for a couple of weeks.

Anyway, I think it's a common misconception that you have to be really good to finish 5th or whatever. You just need to be efficient, never give up and keep the scoreboard ticking over. That and have rivals who misfire.

Look at the times Liverpool have got into Europe due to an endless string of Gerrard goals.

This season has been very strange. Our spirit is obviously incredible and how motivated all the players are, Pardew deserves enormous credit for this. What I don't understand is how we've managed to get 42 points. I'm sure many will disagree but I don't think our general standard of play deserves that many points. I thought pre-season we could get to 7th-8th with the players we had but I'm amazed that we made it to joint 4th earlier on today, when Cisse scored, it's the happiest I've been as a supporter in years. But like HTT has brought up a few times, we can definitely play much better with the players we have. I still don't feel like there is a forward system to the team whilst I definitely think we have a very detailed defensive system. If getting the defensive system right first is the plan then working on making us a better footballing team then I'm all behind the work that's been done so far. If we could average out our standard of play from every game we've played this season and then apply that average to the rest of the season, I think we'd slip out of the top 7. I recognise that may not make sense but that's my opinion anyway. I guess I'm just trying to say, much like HTT, we can fashion a system out of the players we have where we can really dominate teams and not rely so much on brilliant work from Ba and Cisse. Too many times I've felt that we've not controlled games but come away with points, again, the players and Pardew deserve massive credit but we can push on from here, we really can do something special with the talent in our team.

I don't know what point I'm making here and this is far too long.

Good night

the season we so nearly won the title man utd had many games where they didn't dominate, even in their end of season run. if we were just above relegation and a stoke or everton were in the position we are now in we wouldn't be saying anything about them not deserving

Thing is, we're where we are right now because of the things that Pardew is good at. We could get a manager that's better at certain things, but there'd be no guarantee that we'd keep the strengths we already have.

I reckon we could probably get a more tactically astute manager from somewhere, but would the new manager would command the respect of the players or be capable of working with Ashley and Llambias like Pardew?

In any venture "right fit" is sometimes more important than objective ability, and there's no doubting that Pardew is the right fit for the club at the moment.

Wouldn't trade him for anyone at this point. God knows I don't trust Ashley to make another managerial appointment.