Stephen Ireland

EthiGeordie
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

barton - tiote - ireland - jonas

nolan

carroll

what am i missing?  works for me 'cause both 'wingers' are responsible and help out tiote if ireland goes wandering, irelend and nolan would probably rotate a fair bit depending who would be furthest up

HBA ?

well when he's fit he replaces jonas probably

or nol-....ah wait i see what you did there, hmmmm

squad game man, chop and change to suit opponents - everyone always complains we have no depth, you can't then expect someone with the mobility and fitness of nolan to perform the entire season

Oh I welcome depth.. we need it but surely there are a few who are must starters HBA has to be one of those?

Nolan cannot play every game and should be a super sub I reckon, clever head for late on in game.

barton - tiote - ireland - jonas

nolan

carroll

what am i missing?  works for me 'cause both 'wingers' are responsible and help out tiote if ireland goes wandering, irelend and nolan would probably rotate a fair bit depending who would be furthest up

HBA ?

well when he's fit he replaces jonas probably

or nol-....ah wait i see what you did there, hmmmm

squad game man, chop and change to suit opponents - everyone always complains we have no depth, you can't then expect someone with the mobility and fitness of nolan to perform the entire season

Oh I welcome depth.. we need it but surely there are a few who are must starters HBA has to be one of those?

Nolan cannot play every game and should be a super sub I reckon, clever head for late on in game.

i obviously forgot HBA existed...i'd play him more in the away games than nolan given his better fitness, speed and mobility myself with jonas for the same reasons, bring nolan on if needed

at home mix and match, start with a basis of HBA & nolan starting not jonas

anyway we haven't signed irelend yet :lol:

Nolan as a second striker worked last season relatively well because the defenders were much shitter and he had more space. At the top level it isn't really something that can happen - he's too tightly marked and has no pace to get away from the marker.

Why on earth are folk moving Nolan up the pitch? It's incredibly obvious that he just doesn't function there.

The logic must be, 'he scores so he can play as a striker.' If you watched him play, you'd know he doesn't belong up top though.

Why on earth are folk moving Nolan up the pitch? It's incredibly obvious that he just doesn't function there.

eh? so you would have him further back int he midfield where he offers nowt and cant keep up?

Just about all of his goals this season and last have come with him behind two players.

I'm sure the commonly accepted opinion of Nolan's best position has totally switched on this forum. For the first part of the season people were saying how Nolan is essentially a striker and is too immobile for central midfield, and now since he's gone back to central midfield and carried on scoring (and playing well), he's shouldn't go near the forward position as he's too immobile.

Just a random observation...

put him where you want on a piece of fucking paper, his key attributes are timing and losing markers to get in goalscoring positions...don't really give a fuck where he's pencilled in tbh...let him float about for all i care

He is essentially a striker. Just one that needs play behind two other strikers, because he's about as difficult to mark as a three piece suite.

I think he actually does a lot in central midfield that goes un-noticed. True, he doesn't have any pace and you won't see him playing Hollywood balls, but he is often a hub for play to go through when we are building on possession. He has a good first touch and can play an accurate pass when he has little time to do so. I'm a lot more confident of us retaining the ball when a dodgy pass is sent to him than someone like Guthrie for example.

He is essentially a striker. Just one that needs play behind two other strikers, because he's about as difficult to mark as a three piece suite.

I think he actually does a lot in central midfield that goes un-noticed. True, he doesn't have any pace and you won't see him playing Hollywood balls, but he is often a hub for play to go through when we are building on possession. He has a good first touch and can play an accurate pass when he has little time to do so. I'm a lot more confident of us retaining the ball when a dodgy pass is sent to him than someone like Guthrie for example.

He does do a plenty of work in midfield and when he has got possession he's not too bad with it other than like a lot of players with limited ability he can't carry the ball. But he uses the ball well enough when he has it. The problem is more when he doesn't. He doesn't have the pace to close down players so when he makes a tackle it's usually a month late. For the same reason you won't see him hitting quick one-two's and darting beyond defenders. His goals come through good positioning from dead ball situations for the most part.

eh? so you would have him further back int he midfield where he offers nowt and cant keep up?

Complete myth that, like. 8 goals from that position is not "nowt", for a start, and he's pretty decent at keeping the game ticking - certainly better at that function than Ireland who I've never seen have a good game playing from deep... Our midfield has rarely been overran with Nolan in the middle either, contrary to popular belief.

Nolan as a second striker worked last season relatively well because the defenders were much shitter and he had more space. At the top level it isn't really something that can happen - he's too tightly marked and has no pace to get away from the marker.

10 Goals!

Nolan off the striker is even more illogical than Barton central.

10 Goals

He comes through from midfield to surprise  the defence with his running into good space in the box. He is far more effective as a partner for Tiote who moves forward if and when we are in possession.

HE IS NOT A STRIKER FFS!

10 Goals!

Nolan off the striker is even more illogical than Barton central.

10 Goals

80% of which have came when he's been playing in midfield, not when he's been playing up front.

i obviously forgot HBA existed...i'd play him more in the away games than nolan given his better fitness, speed and mobility

Which says a lot about Nolan, given that HBA currently has a double break of his leg. :lol:

Guest bmoregeordie

Barton-Tiote-Nolan-Jonas

Ireland

Carroll

IF Ben Arfa comes back fit, and IF they sign Ireland, and IF all of these players stay healthy and IF Tiote isn't suspended, then the squad will actually have some depth and Pardew can play match-ups.

If he signs and everyone is fit it will be:

Barton    Tiote  Nolan    Ben Arfa

Ireland

Carroll

Picks itself tbh.

Ireland

Carroll

Picks itself tbh.

The lineup picks itself, but theres a lot of scope for the positioning. A lot of them can play in various positions, which is a good thing. We could just go down the old Man Utd route when they had Ronaldo. Just have Tiote sitting and let the rest play wherever! :lol:

Ireland

Carroll

Picks itself tbh.

The lineup picks itself, but theres a lot of scope for the positioning. A lot of them can play in various positions, which is a good thing. We could just go down the old Man Utd route when they had Ronaldo. Just have Tiote sitting and let the rest play wherever! :lol:

I think that's probably the best option, unless we get another good striker.

There would be a lot of scope for interchange between players and would be hard to pick up. Maybe it would fall apart if we lose the ball, but that's the Newcastle way!

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Nolan's way better in CM.  :facepalm: