Potential Andy Carroll replacement?

LooneyToonArmy

Wish Keane didnt go to West Ham he would have been ideal

We've cocked up by not actively pursuing available strikers. I don't think we ever expected an acceptable bid for Carroll to come through. Sadly Liverpool have gone mad, I suspect Dalglish and Comolli have been lying to the Americans about player valuations to get their men.

However, that's not important, but what it means is we've had to let Carroll go, and because he was the only striker worth something at this club we have no-one, and everyone we look for will have gone up in value by about £5m because they know we have £35m in the bank.

From Nicko:

You will NOT believe the player heading for Newcastle United right now to sign...

Lower division.

Six-month loan.

Mike Ashley had better not go near the ground any time soon.

Oh dear

Not sure why he can't name names, if things have reached that point.

If this is true, then presumably this player is just a stop gap.

In terms of a permanent replacement, we'd be having to pay a January-window type premium at this point, which in many ways negates the point of cashing in on Carroll for this inflated fee.

ipswich supporting mate reckons wickham is coming to us

i'd be somewhat pleased with that. still quite raw though, not in terms of technique which is excellent but in terms of decisions, impact on games and goal threat. mind you even though he is tall he is less a Carroll type player and more like dean ashton in that he drops deep and uses his strength and technique to create chances.

I can imagine we'll get no one in to replace Carroll. They'll gamble on the current squad being enough to get the points to keep us up. I can't say I'd want us to pay over the odds on a replacement player we've barely had any time to look at. Maybe a loan player if we're lucky.

i'd be somewhat pleased with that. still quite raw though, not in terms of technique which is excellent but in terms of decisions, impact on games and goal threat. mind you even though he is tall he is less a Carroll type player and more like dean ashton in that he drops deep and uses his strength and technique to create chances.

Wickham would be an excellent signing.

he says "if its £10m or more ill drive him there myself"