Leon Best

Godot

I really hope he's well ahead of Shola and Lovenkrands now. Would love to see him keep on proving everybody wrong.

Hopefully he'll use the international break good, and come back sharper than ever. He showed glimpses vs Fulham!

Would love to see more!

Best has the best shooting "sense" among our forwards. He knows exactly when to shoot and thus even he doesn't got great physique and technique he still manage to score a few goals, especially against weak teams.

Guest Rainforest

Technique is average, granted. Then again, what he did against fulham was absolute bergkampesque.

I disagree with you on the physique thing, you are confusing allroundness with averageness.

He is reasonably fast, strong, good in the air and has a good shot.

I make him sound like the best thing since slized bread here, but I simply disagree that he has a average physique, he doesnt.

More of a Van Persie without the go :p

He does look lazy at times, I give you that. Whether thats because he looks lazy by default even if he isnt, or just couldnt give two fucks, god knows.

Technique is average, granted. Then again, what he did against fulham was absolute bergkampesque.

I disagree with you on the physique thing, you are confusing allroundness with averageness.

I make him sound like the best thing since slized bread here, but I simply disagree that he has a average physique, he doesnt.

He's so much stronger and better in the air than people give him credit for. He doesn't attack the ball like Carroll but he's excellent at flicking in on and finding a team mate.

I really hope he's well ahead of Shola and Lovenkrands now. Would love to see him keep on proving everybody wrong.

Prove who wrong?  The vast majority on here consider him our number one striker.

He does look lazy at times, I give you that. Whether thats because he looks lazy by default even if he isnt, or just couldnt give two f***s, god knows.

You got a point. He's just not having an outstanding pace/leap but he isn't that weak.

Prove who wrong?  The vast majority on here consider him our number one striker.

That's not saying a whole lot though.

I'm not so sure about the lazy thing. You don't need 100% work rate to be a good striker. Usually one of the strikers will play the target man, so they need to work hard, but the other striker needs to be clever. The trick is to not look like a threat i.e. ambling about aimlessly until the move is on, the suddenly spring to life and make that run or get into that position. Nolan was good at this, and Best seems to be too: looking shite, but still scoring a hatfull of goals.

I'm not so sure about the lazy thing. You don't need 100% work rate to be a good striker. Usually one of the strikers will play the target man, so they need to work hard, but the other striker needs to be clever. The trick is to not look like a threat i.e. ambling about aimlessly until the move is on, the suddenly spring to life and make that run or get into that position. Nolan was good at this, and Best seems to be too: looking shite, but still scoring a hatfull of goals.

:lol: :clap:

Guest Pedro_de_geordieo

Thinking back to last week when I was at the Fulham game, right after Best scored his second goal I said to my mate "MA wont buy a striker now"

That was said as a joke

Maybe he just lacks confidence.  That second against Fulham was a beauty.  There is something we aren't seeing because it looked like he was going to be shipped out earlier in the window because Pardew didn't think he deserved to be in the squad, IIRC.

There was reports that was the case but Best himself says Pardew told him those reports were bollocks.

Guest Rainforest

Thinking back to last week when I was at the Fulham game, right after Best scored his second goal I said to my mate "MA wont buy a striker now"

That was said as a joke

I was 99.99% sure we wouldnt buy a striker following that game. Granted I didnt have anyone to tell since i actually just watched it alone  :alone:

He's a decent player, not top notch but he clearly fancied himself at Coventry where the fans thought he was a bit lazy/ too good.

I think he's ok; he doesn't have 1 outstanding attribute to make him stand out. He'll never blow anyone away but if he really sticks in he should be ok.

Problem for us is that we all foolishly believed that we might buy a stand out striker. The fact that the Number 9 shirt hasn't been given out is evidence enough of what a mess we made of the transfer window.

He does look lazy at times, I give you that. Whether thats because he looks lazy by default even if he isnt, or just couldnt give two fucks, god knows.

This! If he fix his concentration, he could be a solid attacker. Hopefully his injury problems are now over.