Graham Carr

Guest sicko2ndbest

I don't really have a problem with it. He can spot a player imo, just doesn't really know anything about building a team. That's how it should be for a scout.

Yep. As long as he's just a fucking scout coming with suggestions for Rafa, I don't mind it one bit. However anything beyond that he needs to get the fuck out.

I don't really have a problem with it. He can spot a player imo, just doesn't really know anything about building a team. That's how it should be for a scout.

He's saddled us with more crap than good 'uns, imho.

He shouldn't have saddled us with anything if he was just seen as a scout.

Given that Benitez has signed on then I'm thinking that he's fine with fairly big footballing decisions like this. I'd imagine this was one of the things that Rafa is cool with and if he's ok with it then so am I. Feels very unnerving but I'm happy to place my trust in the bloke 100%.

He can 'spot a player' my left nut, like. Fucking Stifler from here could've recommended Cabaye and Ben Arfa. Every time his scouting abilities have actually been put to the test we've signed utter rubbish or players not right for the PL.

He was never a scout in the football manager sense. He's a networker - he has connections with clubs that make it easier for us to sign players and connections with agents that make it easier to convince them to come. We probably never even get our foot in the door for the likes of Ben Arfa or Cabaye without Carr.

Obviously those connections are a double-edged sword and there's a valid criticism that by the end he was signing players that his mates wanted to send to us instead of players we actually needed, but identifying unknown talent was never his job to begin with.

Old bloke who's an NUFC fan and likes watching football; who's to say he ever wanted as much power as he seemingly ended up with? I only heard him interviewed once; he was entirely self deprecating. If you were in his position would you be happy to revert to scouting and watch players for Rafa? Maybe they've agreed to have equal say? Even so, if it's ok with Rafa then what's the issue?

In fairness, there have been quite a few articles over the years that have said Carr has recommended a series of very good players and we haven't gone out and got them and ended up with players some way down his list.

Have no issue with Carr being on board.

I think its hard to judge his track record as i am lead to believe the power at NUFC have not been picking his top picks, but went far down the list for the cheapest options.

I think he can be a good asset to Rafa, in a environment where the manager has the final say in transfers.

Guest chopey

The staff at the club that were here under "The King" will be permenantly tainted with his stench, even if some of them were doing a good job, I fully expect to see Carver and Stone as stewards next season showing Japanese tourists to their seats.

I'd wager that if Rafa had been given half of the so-called 'shit players' Carr has brought in, they'd have looked a lot less shit than they did under Pardew, Carver and McLaren.

That said, the final yes/no on whether a player joins or not should always rest with the manager since he's the one (in theory) with the master plan and ultimately needs players who will fit into that.  Hopefully from now on we'll see a more sensible approach that utilises a combination of Carr's contacts and Rafa's database, with Rafa having absolute final say over which players come through the door.  I can't imagine Rafa would've signed on the dotted line if that wasn't the case.