Arsene Wenger

Parky

Arsenal's transfer failings are worse than ours at the moment. They have cash in the bank, they have pulling power, they have a massively respected manager, Champions League football and will pay a tidy fee for players. They are a couple of players away from a title push, I will concede those players would come with a hefty fee.

It's never been clear who's fault it is? Surely Wenger wouldn't refuse to spend money if he had the cash available to him?

Arsenal's transfer failings are worse than ours at the moment. They have cash in the bank, they have pulling power, they have a massively respected manager, Champions League football and will pay a tidy fee for players. They are a couple of players away from a title push, I will concede those players would come with a hefty fee.

It's never been clear who's fault it is? Surely Wenger wouldn't refuse to spend money if he had the cash available to him?

I honestly don't understand why they're so bad at signings at the moment. It's properly strange. Like you say, they should have everything to attract all the good players they need.

They're cruising for a failure in the CL qualifier, it's inevitable.

I would laugh and laugh and laugh. :lol:

After our CL campaign, where they kept saying "ha, you'll never get past this round" all the way to Real Madrid, it would be so sweet. Arsenal-mania would be a delicious substitute for the waning RAWK.

After our CL campaign, where they kept saying "ha, you'll never get past this round" all the way to Real Madrid, it would be so sweet. Arsenal-mania would be a delicious substitute for the waning RAWK.

TBH I hope they make it through, because the media are way over the top in their Wenger criticism and they will just be able to trot out the pre-prepared outrage.

Guest bimpy474

Aye, i've yet to meet an Arsenal fan who believes they dont have a divine right to be in the Champions League. It's their place no matter what.

In light of their Cabaye bid I can't see how anyone on here would want arsenal to go through to the group stages.

They'll probably lose but still go in as fenerbache get thrown out for match fixing.

In light of their Cabaye bid I can't see how anyone on here would want arsenal to go through to the group stages.

They'll probably lose but still go in as fenerbache get thrown out for match fixing.

Exactly my fear.

Don't know how any amount of pre-prepared outrage could outweigh the oceans of Gooner tears.

Exactly my fear.

Don't know how any amount of pre-prepared outrage could outweigh the oceans of Gooner tears.

Is it not in your interests to have them playing in an extra competition with a reduced squad this season.

Exactly my fear.

Is it not in your interests to have them playing in an extra competition with a reduced squad this season.

wouldn't they go into hell on earth and the doom of any side in it (aka the europa league)

Nah.

That'd be at odds with Arsenal's Groundhog Season they've had on repeat for a few years. They'll do sufficiently well - only just - in the CL to contribute enough to the usual papering over of the cracks. It's the Arsenal way.

Was never going to happen.

Blaming Wenger for not winning cups is like blaming George Best for never winning a World Cup, incidentally. I know Laudrup/Martinez got Swansea/Wigan trophies, but cup draws involve an element of luck and Wenger has a very good record (only lost once or twice against lower division sides in 15+ years or something like that). Really hope Arsenal win something this year, he deserves it for slogging out with clubs with a lot more resources year-after-year.

Blaming Wenger for not winning cups is like blaming George Best for never winning a World Cup, incidentally. I know Laudrup/Martinez got Swansea/Wigan trophies, but cup draws involve an element of luck and Wenger has a very good record (only lost once or twice against lower division sides in 15+ years or something like that). Really hope Arsenal win something this year, he deserves it for slogging out with clubs with a lot more resources year-after-year.

Well... yes and no. On the cup business Birmingham might have something to say, and 10 years ago Arsenal were in ManU's position. While neither can compete financially with the oil clubs (it's been long since ManU truly broke the bank), ManU has been able to keep winning trophies while Arsenal have been in a slow slide. Just 3-4 seasons ago they were still mounting a title challenge; now that doesn't look remotely possible. And I'm sure they didn't lose players like Cesc or Van Persie because they couldn't meet their wage demands.

I'm not sure how the new stadium affected them financially, if the reports about their cash in hand are true, though, it seems they have thrifted their way into irrelevancy.

Arsenal are a top striker away from being serious title challengers IMO. Trouble is, the asking price is now £40m+, and they're still having to compete for those players with richer clubs, although their own purse strings seem to have been loosened now.

Wenger is the master at getting the best out of individual players, and can't be written off.

Well... yes and no. On the cup business Birmingham might have something to say, and 10 years ago Arsenal were in ManU's position. While neither can compete financially with the oil clubs (it's been long since ManU truly broke the bank), ManU has been able to keep winning trophies while Arsenal have been in a slow slide. Just 3-4 seasons ago they were still mounting a title challenge; now that doesn't look remotely possible. And I'm sure they didn't lose players like Cesc or Van Persie because they couldn't meet their wage demands.

I'm not sure how the new stadium affected them financially, if the reports about their cash in hand are true, though, it seems they have thrifted their way into irrelevancy.

The Birmingham game wasn't exactly a freak accident (as they'd had a poor defensive spell for a while up until that game, as I recall), and Wenger was partially at fault for that debacle, but I don't mean to argue he is perfect. He is, on the whole, consistently amazing though.

Comparing Arsenal & Man Utd isn't too far off comparing Arsenal & Chelsea. I respect there wasn't always such a financial chasm between Arsenal & Man Utd, but that's not exclusively (or even mainly?) because of their management of the football teams, it's director-level strategy/business too. Man Utd do spend/pay wages in a different orbit to Arsenal. I disagree on the Cesc/RVP issues.

So with Chelsea/Man City/Man Utd in a different league to everyone else, Arsenal win the league every year :lol: Arsene recognises that isn't enough (and I think he said as much in the latest interview I saw) but I think the world will see just how fantastic a job he has done when his eventual replacement comes along.

As I said, hope he does get more silverware before he goes.

I can't stand the Wenger out campaigns like, Arsenal fans on the whole are massive bellends! Wanking off Ramsey last night whilst writing his whole ability and career off earlier in the year. If Wenger does turn it around and manage to win some silverware, they will soon come crawling back again. Only thing i understand with them is their lack of spending but their vendettas against their own players and manager are nothing short of a disgrace!