Sammy Ameobi released

James

Guest bimpy474

He's unpredictable (which is a nice way of saying his touch can be fucking abysmal at times) BUT he is always positive, always trying to beat his man and will always get the odd chance in a game which is sadly a rarity for us.

Would rather see Sammy on the pitch trying rather than some of our players who are either hiding or just being too scared to do anything so will go for the simple pass EVERY time.

He is, he needs to learn not to do it near our box like :lol: But he is very positive, i'd love to see him in a team that's flying.

Man of the match today for me. Once he gets his confidence up (the goal at the end must really help), the occasional bad touches and decisions should get rarer when he gets more comfortable with the ball at his feet.

Clearly has a lot of talent and great trickery, hopefully he doesn't end up like his brother and keeps getting better.

The problem with Ameobi for me at the moment is that he doesn't have anything else but his dribbling. His passing, shooting and crossing are always poor yet when he's running at defenders he causes trouble. He'll frustrate with the occasional moment of magic. He's definitely an Ameobi :)

What's the deal with his gasping for air? Does he have breathing difficulties or something?

The problem with Ameobi for me at the moment is that he doesn't have anything else but his dribbling. His passing, shooting and crossing are always poor yet when he's running at defenders he causes trouble. He'll frustrate with the occasional moment of magic. He's definitely an Ameobi :)

What's the deal with his gasping for air? Does he have breathing difficulties or something?

He ran for 90 mins. That might have something to do with it.

Guest bimpy474

Asthma.

He was doing it after 10mins TRon. He's always done it was just wondering if it was just a habit or if he had genuine difficulties.

Cheers Bimpy

Fair enough. But he still kept running so fair play to the lad.

Guest bimpy474

He was doing it after 10mins TRon. He's always done it was just wondering if it was just a habit or if he had genuine difficulties.

Cheers Bimpy

I might be wrong but maybe because he does suffer from asthma, maybe he breathes deep like that under instruction. Helps him taking in more O2.

His end product and crossing in the first half was absolutely hopeless. He looked like a totally different player after the break, he was magnificent.

Seems to be gradually improving. I think the inconsistency is the Ameobi gene.

A good manager would shepherd Sammy's mindset and prepare him correctly for Fulham, and give him a start. The goal will have given him a world of confidence and if harnessed correctly, could be the making of a player. This week could be vital to his future as a PL player, and he's unlucky that we have an international break after this.

Come on Pards, do right by Sammy and by the club ffs. Must start against Fulham. It's imperative that he does.

Needless to say it would also show the other fringe players that if they perform they get in the side.

Thought he was quite clearly our best player last night, he never gave his full-back a moment's peace. We could really do with him stepping up because an orthodox left-winger will aid us massively. I'd definitely start him against Fulham. Pardew's given him a last-chance-saloon, the guy performed well and scored, now the manager's got to follow that through and give him a game in the Premier League. It would send a really bad message to the young players if he didn't start.

Agree with La Parka's comment about his decision-making. That's arguably his biggest weakness at the moment. Sometimes he doesn't know whether to kick and run or be tricky with it. Fortunately, he was capable of making an impact regardless of how he attacked last night, because he was much better than anyone in their team.

I'm not a huge fan as things stand but I think you've got to give him a lot of credit for last night.

If he improves his decision-making and learns how to cross the ball, he could be an asset. Jury's still out as far as the long-term goes.

He's started off with a handicap in the eyes of some fans because of his last name I think. People are waiting for him to do something clumsy so they call roll out the classic "fucking Ameobi" line, but the truth is that he's a very skillful player IMO.

He's not the finished product, his tracking back can be suspect and his decision-making/final ball can definitely be worked on - but he brings us pace and verve which we're lacking in the side, particularly down the left.

I personally hope he gets a lot more first-team action as we don't have enough bodies running into the box from midfield and I think Sammy will do just that. I also like how willing he is to take on a player and make it to the byline. Sometimes the defender will put it out for a throw, but that won't stop him from trying again and pushing up the play towards the opposition box (encouraging our other players forward in the process) the next time. He adds creativity and unpredictability which we really need. Our attacking play is so easy to telegraph at the minute.

Think he has a lot of potential and we're not spoilt for options right now, so think he should be a lot closer to the first team personally.