Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

Guest bobbyfisher

bigi and abeid, should def be retained, both have talent...

sure they can be improved.

Good athlete, and his ball-control is tighter than Sissoko's. Having said that Sissoko is solid in this department when on international duty. I guess the French national team focuses on ballwork out on the training pitch - surprise, surprise.

Of the current batch of midfielders Abeid intrigues me the most, in a good way. Hopefully its McClaren but he could easily have a breakout year, under a manager who doesn't punish him for his instinctive play of releasing the ball forward of the centre circle and supporting the strikers around the box - and he was burned and thrown on the scrapheap by Pardew because of this. If managed correctly Ashley has a tasty incoming transfer fee waiting.

Good athlete, and his ball-control is tighter than Sissoko's. Having said that Sissoko is solid in this department when on international duty. I guess the French national team focuses on ballwork out on the training pitch - surprise, surprise.

Of the current batch of midfielders Abeid intrigues me the most, in a good way. Hopefully its McClaren but he could easily have a breakout year, under a manager who doesn't punish him for his instinctive play of releasing the ball forward of the centre circle and supporting the strikers around the box - and he was burned and thrown on the scrapheap by Pardew because of this. If managed correctly Ashley has a tasty incoming transfer fee waiting.

correct me if i'm wrong but until he came back from greece he was generally considered slow and not up to the pace of the league aye?

correct me if i'm wrong but until he came back from greece he was generally considered slow and not up to the pace of the league aye?

He didn't look slow to me, during his promising spell, certainly not in a Viana way. Adjusting to the end-to-end nature of the league, sure. Match fitness, or a lack of, would play a part in having a rough time intially when  being expected to be jump out of the blocks undet Pardew regime. Lack of fitness, not necessarily athleticism, may have been to blame.

Was this the view held by Pardoo, that he was too slow prior to his loan stint in Greece? His judgement, when applying to gauging attributes (ie Williamson's aerial power)  has as much worth as a bag of dog s*** left out on a vacationing & enemy neigbour's front doorstep.

He didn't look slow to me, during his promising spell, certainly not in a Viana way. Adjusting to the end-to-end nature of the league, sure. Match fitness, or a lack of, would play a part in having a rough time intially when  being expected to be jump out of the blocks undet Pardew regime. Lack of fitness, not necessarily athleticism, may have been to blame.

Was this the view held by Pardoo, that he was too slow prior to his loan stint in Greece? His judgement, when applying to gauging attributes (ie Williamson's aerial power)  has as much worth as a bag of dog s*** left out on a vacationing & enemy neigbour's front doorstep.

I meant prior to Greece aye

Anita would be more suited to a more advanced role in the team. He isn't a holding midfielder or a midfielder who is going to win you a midfield battle. When he has looked good, it's when he has been pressing forward.

Couple of times in his first season with us he was brought on a as a sub and played wide right, he looked great going forward and actually had a canny cross on him. Now I'm not saying play him as a winger, but certainly to get the best out of him he needs to be played further forward as he really doesn't look comfortable sitting deep as he gets bullied and then just ends up hiding for the whole game.

Anita covers the ground absolutely fine.

Anita is quite quick but because of his smaller stride, he still will find it harder to close down a player than Abeid or Tiote. That said, I still would far rather have him as a defensive midfielder than Colback who is just too slow. Anita is a technically good player as well, quite an intelligent footballer.

• 2 weeks later...

Were some of them not staying behind to work on fitness because they were on the way back from injury?

You can be injured/recovering, but still able to do some training. Just not enough to make a long-haul trip to America to play three friendlies worthwhile (although you could argue that even fully fit this is not worthwhile!).

Were some of them not staying behind to work on fitness because they were on the way back from injury?

You can be injured/recovering, but still able to do some training. Just not enough to make a long-haul trip to America to play three friendlies worthwhile (although you could argue that even fully fit this is not worthwhile!).

No idea. The club said when the squad list was released that Tiote was not going because he was "working on fitness after injury" which has turned out to be BS so..

I know some people will be incredibly sceptical of the source, but La Petite Crêperie (the French owned Crêpe place in Granger Market) tweeted yesterday that Abeid was fully fit and had just been left out.

They are usually absolutely bang on in terms of team sheets in advance, bits of gossip on injuries etc. I assume they are friendly with a few players.

I know some people will be incredibly sceptical of the source, but La Petite Crêperie (the French owned Crêpe place in Granger Market) tweeted yesterday that Abeid was fully fit and had just been left out.

They are usually absolutely bang on in terms of team sheets in advance, bits of gossip on injuries etc. I assume they are friendly with a few players.

He's marra's with some of the French lads aye. Be a shame if he's on his bike given his low wages / decent back up option.

He's marra's with some of the French lads aye. Be a shame if he's on his bike given his low wages / decent back up option.

He's well ahead of the likes of Colback and Tiote for me. I would have him as competition with Anita for who partners Wijnaldum at CM.