Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

Considering the squad is 25 players, the fact you were saying he should be in there isn't a step-up from what he was under any manager last season so it's hardly a platform to praise him on - so I didn't see it as being obvious at all.

Can see the logic to some extent as we've a lot of players who play CM and not many spots for them.

Still, the guy looked quality when he got on the field for us last year. Strange that we seem to want nothing to do with him.

Some sort of off the field issue at play here, I'd guess.

It's a shame but we have to let some go and he did put in some pretty average performances after initially looking useful. I'd like to think we can free up some more space from the glut of midfielders we have and replace with better and more pressing positions. If Abeid has to go to help facilitate this then I'm all for it.

It's a shame but we have to let some go and he did put in some pretty average performances after initially looking useful. I'd like to think we can free up some more space from the glut of midfielders we have and replace with better and more pressing positions. If Abeid has to go to help facilitate this then I'm all for it.

I'd have no problem thinking that way if Williamson, Gouffran and Obertan had been first out the door. As it is, they're looking increasingly likely to stay, and it's mind-boggling how they get to keep their PL status, and someone of Abeid's potential ends up in a lower league in Germany.

Hmm, never looked owt special but as usual we're ignoring the fact we require a squad. Would sooner see Tiote humanely destroyed.

this is it like, why get rid of someone with potential who is arguably overrated instead of keeping a bloke we know is an accident waiting to happen, hardly plays anyway and commands a wage probably 10 times that of abeid?

oh yeah i know the reason we'll have some stupid fucking value on tiote that no-one in their right mind would touch, and someone is offering a pittance for abeid so he's oot

keep on keeping on NUFC

I'd have no problem thinking that way if Williamson, Gouffran and Obertan had been first out the door. As it is, they're looking increasingly likely to stay, and it's mind-boggling how they get to keep their PL status, and someone of Abeid's potential ends up in a lower league in Germany.

Problem is that you need to find a willing buyer.

Who would have any use for Gouffran, Obertan or Williamson? I wouldn't have them on my weekly five a side team, they'd add nothing. So why would a professional team spend money on them and (more pertinently since we'd probably let them go for nowt) why would anyone pay them the hefty wage they're on here?

We've used Gouffran instead of this lad at CM. Madness. I don't want to question the manager's judgement before the season starts but I'm struggling with this one badly. He went out on loan and returned an absolute tank, put in MOM performances versus top teams and got hurt never was given a chance to reclaim a position that was rightfully his, like MYM.

Who would have any use for Gouffran, Obertan or Williamson? I wouldn't have them on my weekly five a side team, they'd add nothing. So why would a professional team spend money on them and (more pertinently since we'd probably let them go for nowt) why would anyone pay them the hefty wage they're on here?

:thup: we can only move on players where there's a willing buyer and may even have to continue paying towards wages when they move on. Hopefully McClaren is trying to be canny and has been giving some players game time in an effort to drum up interest.

:thup: we can only move on players where there's a willing buyer and may even have to continue paying towards wages when they move on. Hopefully McClaren is trying to be canny and has been giving some players game time in an effort to drum up interest.

we all know this though, the counterpoint(s) i'd make are that abeid will be on relative peanuts, the fee will be fuck all if there is one, he will count as a homegrown player, and we all know he's got as much or more to offer than the fucking wingnuts mentioned in this post so why not just keep him and make the other clowns play in the reserves until they're ashamed enough to fuck off?

it only makes sense if ashley has *really* loosened the purse strings and abeid going frees up a squad spot which we'll now go and fill by signing a new defender :yao:

Guest firetotheworks

The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing at Newcastle like. We bring in all of these players and they're completely the opposite of what the people running the day to day want or know what to do with.

Considering the squad is 25 players, the fact you were saying he should be in there isn't a step-up from what he was under any manager last season so it's hardly a platform to praise him on - so I didn't see it as being obvious at all.

By specifically saying "worth a place in the first team squad" you don't think it's obvious that I didn't mean the starting XI?

Ok mate.

Looks like the Germans can spot a player from 600 miles away  better than we can in our own backyard.

Agreed - quite liked the look of this lad and he never really got a chance under Pardew.

Not the best around, but will be missed once injuries start piling up...

As you hinted, everything about German football makes the amateurs in charge at SJP look like circus candidates...

It's not even as though we are saying he is some massive talent, but as has already been mentioned, it's only him and Tiote who are actually physically equipped to break up play and press higher up the pitch. Colback and Anita are more suited to playing a sitting role where we are playing a Pardew style 8 man defence formation.

By specifically saying "worth a place in the first team squad" you don't think it's obvious that I didn't mean the starting XI?

Ok mate.

That's fine, I've obviously misunderstood the pointlessness of your post as I don't recall myself or anybody else on the board ever saying he shouldn't be included in the 25-man squad, you're not exactly making a case for him as a player as a starter, a bench warmer or simply someone in the squad to be used as 5th choice. I'll try and be more careful next time.  O0