Mehdi Abeid joins Panathinaikos

Colocho

He must be keen to leave and who can blame him? Not played by Pardewed, Scapegoated by Carver and likely to play second fiddle to Colback this season if he stays.

This a move that could come back to haunt us. We need as much protection in front of our dogshit back 4 as possible

It's not even as though we are saying he is some massive talent, but as has already been mentioned, it's only him and Tiote who are actually physically equipped to break up play and press higher up the pitch. Colback and Anita are more suited to playing a sitting role where we are playing a Pardew style 8 man defence formation.

i think this is very harsh on anita, as we saw in that west ham game when the setup is right and we're pressing as a team his anticipation to intercept balls and put in a tackle that actually wins the ball and retains possession is definitely there and i really hope we see it more under mclaren

he's a fucking jigsaw when he gets near their goal but right up to the 18 yard box he knows what he's doing and has good awareness

It's not even as though we are saying he is some massive talent, but as has already been mentioned, it's only him and Tiote who are actually physically equipped to break up play and press higher up the pitch. Colback and Anita are more suited to playing a sitting role where we are playing a Pardew style 8 man defence formation.

i think this is very harsh on anita, as we saw in that west ham game when the setup is right and we're pressing as a team his anticipation to intercept balls and put in a tackle that actually wins the ball and retains possession is definitely there and i really hope we see it more under mclaren

he's a fucking jigsaw when he gets near their goal but right up to the 18 yard box he knows what he's doing and has good awareness

Yes he did show well in that game, just I think Abeid provides a different type of defensive midfielder who could play in a 4-4-2 formation if you wanted to go for that in some games.

Yes he did show well in that game, just I think Abeid provides a different type of defensive midfielder who could play in a 4-4-2 formation if you wanted to go for that in some games.

Agree with that like aye, which is another reason to be annoyed if the lad leaves as it'll probably down to Wijnaldum, Tiote and captain fucking Jack. Or Sissoko. Or Gouffran, let's never forget how versatile that lad is.

I'm annoyed because he showed more in that stretch of games last year than Colback and Anita ever have as a DM, since recovering from injury he has never had a chance to prove that he can do that consistently and now he's being shipped out. Which leaves us stuck with either Anita or Tiote as actual DMs as Colback never is one and if we force Colback there we will be crap.

Considering the squad is 25 players, the fact you were saying he should be in there isn't a step-up from what he was under any manager last season so it's hardly a platform to praise him on - so I didn't see it as being obvious at all.

By specifically saying "worth a place in the first team squad" you don't think it's obvious that I didn't mean the starting XI?

Ok mate.

That's fine, I've obviously misunderstood the pointlessness of your post as I don't recall myself or anybody else on the board ever saying he shouldn't be included in the 25-man squad, you're not exactly making a case for him as a player as a starter, a bench warmer or simply someone in the squad to be used as 5th choice. I'll try and be more careful next time.  O0

The pointlessness of my post? I was saying he's worth a place in our squad.

Williamson, Gouffran, Obertan - three names I consider NOT worthy of a place in our squad. You don't have to agree with me but for god sake quit the fucking argument chasing, man. It's ridiculous.

The left hand doesn't know what the right is doing at Newcastle like. We bring in all of these players and they're completely the opposite of what the people running the day to day want or know what to do with.

Which makes the whole "square pegs in square holes" speech by McClaren a little unnerving. Even with a manager with the best of intentions, the way we go about there won't be enough square holes.

I call bullshit on the square pegs in square holes speech from McClaren if he plays Colback as the deepest midfielder and Sissoko on the wing tbh.

That's two players in the wrong positions right off the bat.

Well yeah. That's why even with a manager with the best on intentions it would be tough... and we don't really even have that.

I've always rated Mehdi personally & will be sad to see him go. Had some outstanding games at CDM particularly Liverpool at home & Man City in the league cup. Never really had a decent crack of the whip imo which is a shame.

Why is noone better taking him? Has a fee been mentioned?

Such a shame, really liked the lad. He could have made it in this league.

He hasn't really had much exposure to be fair, I am quite surprised that Dusseldorf had heard of him. When he had a run in the side he was starting to get noticed before he had the injury.

He's not our worst player but the sooner our hierarchy realise Colback isn't very good we'll struggle to be a good side. Anita too.

I'd rather they had a dawning realisation about the defence tbh, the likes of Colback and Anita should never play together but as over part of a decent midfield they're far from the problem. Anita especially.

We'll never be an above average team until that defence is sorted out like.

He's not our worst player but the sooner our hierarchy realise Colback isn't very good we'll struggle to be a good side. Anita too.

I'd rather they had a dawning realisation about the defence tbh, the likes of Colback and Anita should never play together but as over part of a decent midfield they're far from the problem. Anita especially.

http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/multimedia/archive/00388/122860022_BIZ_Ashle_388827c.jpg

The problem with the defence is that we can't shift what we have. If we had half decent offers for Colo & Williamson that would save £4-5m a year in wages and i'm certain we would buy a new CB or two. The problem is we are paying for 4 senior CB's and 1 more as back-up. for once, it's understandeable that we can't make an addition without selling first.

We are walking into a similar situation in central midfield. Colback, Tiote & Anita all must have some time on their contracts and from what i've seen - none are solid top half PL midfielders.

We've let far better players go for fuck all though so it's hardly about getting decent fees. There are surely championship clubs that would be dying to take the likes of Williamson off our hands based on his current status alone. I can only assume they rate him to some degree. We can happily jettison santon but not Obertan? It's weird.

The problem with the defence is that we can't shift what we have. If we had half decent offers for Colo & Williamson that would save £4-5m a year in wages and i'm certain we would buy a new CB or two. The problem is we are paying for 4 senior CB's and 1 more as back-up. for once, it's understandeable that we can't make an addition without selling first.

We are walking into a similar situation in central midfield. Colback, Tiote & Anita all must have some time on their contracts and from what i've seen - none are solid top half PL midfielders.

This is the problem with giving every fucker 6 year deals. The decent ones are gone within 2 or 3 years leaving you with the not so good ones. What a model. We are well and truly showing everybody how it's done.