Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

There's nowt wrong with hitting one for the near post if you have somebody making a run there. Stoke against Spurs did it twice in a row with Shawcross testing the keeper and then off the bar.

We should be mixing it up now we don't have Carroll to hit. Of course if you take one short or hit one to the edge of the box all you get is moaning - dropping it into the middle is fine though even if it's being headed clear easily over and over again.

There's nowt wrong with hitting one for the near post if you have somebody making a run there. Stoke against Spurs did it twice in a row with Shawcross testing the keeper and then off the bar.

We should be mixing it up now we don't have Carroll to hit. Of course if you take one short or hit one to the edge of the box all you get is moaning - dropping it into the middle is fine though even if it's being headed clear easily over and over again.

Was I day dreaming or did Obertan take a corner on Saturday?  Either that or Cabaye took a short corner to Obertan. 

We had 1 short corner in the first IIRC which led to fuck all. Hate short corners.

Why? It's not as if sticking it in the box has a massive success rate.

If 1 short corner doesn't come to anything people moan and then you don't see another for months, but when it's been put into the box 7 or 8 times in one match and easily dealt with people don't moan... I don't understand it tbh. Yeah, you've put it in the box but it's still came to nowt...

Think you should try as many different things as possible from corners. Far post, near post, edge of the box, work it short for a different angle, inswinging and outswinging etc. Fair enough last season we had Carroll and that means percentage wise it's worth doing the same thing over and over.

We look much easier to deal with at set pieces without the Taylor Bros. Ryan's delivery is simply miles better than anyone else's and free kicks at least were usually aimed in the general direction of Steven at the back post to nod it back across.

I'm also in the short corner hatred camp. Can't think of a single occasion where we've profited from one, although I do remember Higginbotham scoring in the derby against us.

We had 1 short corner in the first IIRC which led to f*** all. Hate short corners.

Why? It's not as if sticking it in the box has a massive success rate.

If 1 short corner doesn't come to anything people moan and then you don't see another for months, but when it's been put into the box 7 or 8 times in one match and easily dealt with people don't moan... I don't understand it tbh. Yeah, you've put it in the box but it's still came to nowt...

Think you should try as many different things as possible from corners. Far post, near post, edge of the box, work it short for a different angle, inswinging and outswinging etc. Fair enough last season we had Carroll and that means percentage wise it's worth doing the same thing over and over.

Agreed, I would much prefer to see us try something different especially when we keep trying the same thing which comes to nothing.  I don't understand why we don't try mixing up our corners to become a little less predictable.  The same goes for free kicks which we don’t seem to do enough with.

Can't think of a single occasion where we've profited from one

Probably because they happen once in every 50 occasions or something.  :lol: Not saying I'm a fan or owt, but I don't think they happen enough to say you don't profit on them. Like I said 'standard' corner routines are just a fruitless but because they're going into the box people excuse it.

Is the nearpost thing not some kind of routine? We scored at Wolves by putting it there.

Barton's corners were generally poor, I think people are re-writing history here. The routine every single time was to hit Williamson at the back post or put it into the general area for Carroll to try and make the most of. Sure you're getting them into the box but how many times did we get anything out of them? Considering the number he/we had we didn't get that much, and once Carroll went they dried up completely.

I've thought this, there seems to be about 4 obvious variants, obviously there will be a lot more, but the ones I've picked out so far are: 

Front post, lofted to the back post, drilled to the edge of the box like we did last season with Colo (yet to see it work this season) and just the old fashioned whipped in corner into the danger area, that normally ends up being a front post corner though, rarely beats the first man  :lol:

Is the nearpost thing not some kind of routine? We scored at Wolves by putting it there.

Barton's corners were generally poor, I think people are re-writing history here. The routine every single time was to hit Williamson at the back post or put it into the general area for Carroll to try and make the most of. Sure you're getting them into the box but how many times did we get anything out of them? Considering the number he/we had we didn't get that much, and once Carroll went they dried up completely.

I've thought this, there seems to be about 4 obvious variants, obviously there will be a lot more, but the ones I've picked out so far are: 

Front post, lofted to the back post, drilled to the edge of the box like we did last season with Colo (yet to see it work this season) and just the old fashioned whipped in corner into the danger area, that normally ends up being a front post corner though, rarely beats the first man  :lol:

Would love to see us pull that one off one day. When we attempted it last season, it was so great! (Didn't we have an appreciation thread for it?).

he on 5th booking yet?

`Cabaye is going to be a big miss on Wednesday, his range of passing is excellent and is a player who always wants the ball.`  http://www.themag.co.uk/the-mag-wire/yohan-cabaye-%E2%80%93-pass-master/

alan smith it is then...

Doubt it will be Smith. Most likely is Tiote and Vuckic, but it could be Ben Arfa or Abed in there.

It should be Tiote as a DM with HBA as offensive CM. Quite simple.

That would be brilliant actually. A sort of diamond formation but I can see Pardew opting for Vuckic at CM alongside Tiote tbh.