Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

He was feeling his groin for about 5 mins before he came off and spoke to Pardew just before he was subbed.

That's a concern, if that observation is on the money.

He'll a/ get through the rest of the season with the help of injections, and the cotton wool treatment. (reduced workload) in training.

Or b/ played his last game for us.

Class player, feels so good to have him back.

Unfortunately he's injured again, according to Mr Pardew.

Well either that or he was protecting him for more important games. Oh, wait.

Cabaye attempted an overhead kick just before he was substituted and got up from that without any reaction. Then when he was substituted he jogged off the pitch quite freely. If he was taken off, I don't think it was for an injury.

In fairness it's hard to know whether someone does or doesn't have a knock from the stands. It doesn't have to be an obvious limp for there to be something going on. Even Ando on Radio Newcastle said he thought he was struggling a bit.

That doesn't exonerate Pardew at all but I'm just saying in this case......

Has in injury there are worried about it but fortunately does not look too bad.

Expected Yo to be able to play full game with work he has done, is why he felt ok to replace Marv but then Yo got injured.

You made that up?

From Pards on NUFCTV.

As for Matv sub in my opinion he was not in the game 2nd half we were under pressure Perch was not a bad choice to bring on, Cabaye getting injured was a huge blow.

We weren't under much pressure at all. They'd had a snapshot which had ballooned into row Z and some free kicks but little else, and Marveaux had set up our best chance of the half with a good pass to Shola. There's no way Cabaye should have been finishing that game in any case, the man must watch a different game to me.

In fairness it's hard to know whether someone does or doesn't have a knock from the stands. It doesn't have to be an obvious limp for there to be something going on. Even Ando on Radio Newcastle said he thought he was struggling a bit.

That doesn't exonerate Pardew at all but I'm just saying in this case......

Clarke says Reid, 31, is ruled out of tomorrow’s derby against Aston Villa after seeing an old leg injury flare up after training.

But the Albion boss explained: ‘Steven picked up a fractured fibula — he played for 45 minutes with that broken leg at Arsenal. He’s come back and picked up another knock in the area.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2264078/West-Brom-defender-Steven-Reid-played-45-minutes-broken-leg.html#ixzz2IVUCqdjJ

If he knew Cabaye wasn't likely to last the full game that makes his decision to take Marveaux off even more baffling.

Claims he thought Cabaye would last the 90 which is optimistic for a first game back. Even if Perch or Bigi were needed to strengthen midfield then surely moving Marveaux to the wing instead of Jonas or Shola was the call. He's obsessed with defending a lead rather than getting the second.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/newcastle-1-2-reading-alan-pardew-1546825

”I asked to come off because my groin became tight. I didn’t want to take any risks on my first start for so long.

“I have come back much earlier than was planned and the pitch was very heavy, so it was the right decision for me. The fans were angry but they did not realise I needed to come off. They should not blame the manager for that. I was also feeling tired.

“You cannot expect a player to be 100 per cent in my situation. I was not fit enough to finish the game and that is why I came off.

“When I came off it did not occur to me that we would lose the game, but in this league you can’t afford to relax.

“It only takes seconds to win a game and Reading turned it around. What happened today we couldn’t foresee and we are all bitterly disappointed.”

“Confidence is a lot lower than when I was last in the team, it means we need to stick together to keep our heads up because we are in a bad position.

“The results have not been good enough – that is clear – but we have had a lot of injuries. There is still quality in this squad and now we just need some impetus.”

Pardew said: “Yohan was struggling at half-time and we can’t risk him"

Makes the Marveaux substitution all the more idiotic.

Absolutely.. unforgivable really. However looking forward, we were so much better with Cabs back in the team. Hope we try to stick with the short passing and movement which I thought worked a treat in the first half.