Yohan Cabaye retires

Optimistic Nut

Might be from Sky because I didn't see it, but:

'What I can confirm is that on the eve of a game we've had a bid for the player which we don't think is acceptable. Therefore I have to pick what I think is a team out here tonight which is going to get us a result. The rights and wrongs of that bid, other people can make an opinion, I know what my opinion is.'

Aye that's it word for word I think.

Disappointed he's going but stopped getting attached to individual players a long time ago.  They come, they stay for a few years and then they move on, that's modern football and he won't be the last to go either. They're all just temporary employees, aye it's shit when you lose good players but it happens.

Almost certain that Sissoko was bought safe in the knowledge that Cabaye and/or Tiote were leaving and he's Cabaye's replacement. The money we get for him should go straight back into the team but I've got my doubts on that score. 

Wonder what all the other French players we've signed make of this. He's apparently been instrumental in our recent recruitment drive.

Oh wait scratch that. They're probably thinking they'll get a move to a big club soon enough too.

Strange one for Arsenal too. Do they see him as a DM? To go from Gustavo to Cabaye is an odd situation.

Stinks of a panic buy - to placate their spoiled fans after the result at the weekend and to fill out the squad in light of recent injuries.

Might be from Sky because I didn't see it, but:

'What I can confirm is that on the eve of a game we've had a bid for the player which we don't think is acceptable. Therefore I have to pick what I think is a team out here tonight which is going to get us a result. The rights and wrongs of that bid, other people can make an opinion, I know what my opinion is.'

Pardew admits to not rating cabaye!

Bid not yet been formally rejected according to BBC. "so your saying there's a chance"

Wonder what all the other French players we've signed make of this. He's apparently been instrumental in our recent recruitment drive.

Oh wait scratch that. They're probably thinking they'll get a move to a big club soon enough too.

Well, if you're constantly told your employer can't compete with the big boys in your industry, it's got to be an aspiration to move up in the world, surely?

Strange one for Arsenal too. Do they see him as a DM? To go from Gustavo to Cabaye is an odd situation.

Stinks of a panic buy - to placate their spoiled fans after the result at the weekend and to fill out the squad in light of recent injuries.

It certainly is that, however they could panic buy someone like Diame or even Fellaini as opposed to someone who's just miscast altogether.

Why are any of you surprised?

I'm similarly perplexed why there's so much apparent shock at this development. Maybe the penny is dropping for a few folks who've, up until now, been in a state of willful self-delusion about the nature of modern football/Mike Ashley/lack of club loyalty in players these days.

@bbcsport_david Cabaye travelled with #nufc squad to Manchester but returned home as not in right frame of mind after Sunday's £10m #afc bid #bbcfootball

How does that endear you to your new employer?  Oh, sorry, I can't play football when I'm not in the right frame of mind.